PDA

View Full Version : Question for the all knowing Calguners

telcolineman
01-27-2010, 2:41 PM
Can you install a 10 round block in a 30 round mag to be legal without permanently attaching the floor plate? So if you go out of state it can be removed and used as a normal hi cap magazine

Thanks
Jim

djleisure
01-27-2010, 2:47 PM
Can you install a 10 round block in a 30 round mag to be legal without permanently attaching the floor plate? So if you go out of state it can be removed and used as a normal hi cap magazine

Thanks
Jim
You CAN do whatever you want, but it is generally recommended that you permanently alter you mags to only take 10 rounds. Definition of permanent is questionable, but I guess it depends on what your definition of is is. As always, be prepared to defend yourself in a court of law (chunk of change and a lawyer in your back pocket.)

telcolineman
01-27-2010, 2:57 PM
Thanks dj

bigcalidave
01-27-2010, 3:02 PM
Who knows.... The law says permanent... Better to be safe than sorry. Kits are cheap, so are mags. Just buy more whenever you go out of state to shoot and disassemble them before you come back. :D

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2010, 3:07 PM
Yes you can but, it might not fly on a gun where a 10 round (or less) mag is required. Also, I would not even consider doing it with a rebuild kit. If you want to temporarily convert one of your +10 round mags into a 10 round or less mag to use it in a competition or something, I don't see a problem with it.

telcolineman
01-27-2010, 3:11 PM
Thanks guys, i appreciate the input

Jim

SVT-40
01-27-2010, 3:12 PM

Thanks
Jim

I think you answered your own question. If you can modify it from a 10 round mag to a 10 +1 round mag, then it's not been "permanently" modified.

You could permanently lock the block in the mag body using some kind of high strength adhesive or epoxy which would prevent the removal of the block, and still allow the removal of the mag base. I don't see why you would want to do this but it could be done.

"permanently" seems easy to define. Forever...... cannot be changed....... Modification would lead to destruction and make the magazine unusable ( not just unreliable) as a ammunition feeding device.

Bug Splat
01-27-2010, 3:15 PM
I'm really up in the air on this one. I have both types that are "permanent" and those without epoxied floor plates. IMO once you removed the floor plate its no longer a "magazine" and just parts. Its not like I can flip a switch on the 10rd mag and BAM it now holds 20 rounds. It requires the dismantling of the magazine to parts form in order to convert it back.

Agro
01-27-2010, 3:16 PM
Another choice other than glue/epoxy/JB-Weld is to do what Riflegear does and drill a tiny tiny hole through the mag body and floor plate. They then hammered a steel pin through the whole thing. You can barely see it, but it prevents anything from being removed. In a SHTF scenario, I would think it would be easier to drill that out rather than try to remove extremely strong epoxy.

Still, yes mags are cheap, probably just buy some extra re-builds, keep them as "parts" and then assemble when you go out of state.

telcolineman
01-27-2010, 3:22 PM
Excellent points guys, This is why I asked the all knowing

Thanks Jim

VaderSpade
01-27-2010, 3:23 PM
Acetone will dissolve epoxy. Is anything really permanent???

DedEye
01-27-2010, 7:07 PM
I'm trying to decide if I hate any of you. I like Agro because his avatar is awesome. CSACannoneer's response is very good as well.

Still, just to be safe, I hate all of you. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_use_large-capacity_magazine_parts_to_build_magazines_that_ho ld_ten_rounds_or_less.3F)

slappomatt
01-27-2010, 8:19 PM
The problem with the Permanent thing to me is that ANY factory 10 round mag could be made to hold more than 10. so what does Permanent mean? it doesn't mean anything.

what if you 24 hour epoxied AND riveted your baseplate? I bet you money I could convert that mag back into a normal cap mag in about 20 minutes. so again what does permanent mean? still nothing.

Lateralus
01-27-2010, 8:22 PM
I'm trying to decide if I hate any of you. I like Agro because his avatar is awesome. CSACannoneer's response is very good as well.

Still, just to be safe, I hate all of you. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_use_large-capacity_magazine_parts_to_build_magazines_that_ho ld_ten_rounds_or_less.3F)

Haha. Animosity much?

Btw, I saw the "DedEye hates everyone" post. :chris: