PDA

View Full Version : Will Obama talk about Gun Control tonight??

IrishPirate
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
With the first State of the Union address for President Obama happening tonight, I can't help but wonder if he's going to make any mention of gun "control". The State of the Union has always been a platform for the President to launch his political agenda for the next year so I'm wondering if gun "control" laws and the reinstitution of the AW ban or expansion of the Brady Bill will be a topic Obama raises.

So do you think that 2A issues are on the President's mind right now with all the talk of Haiti, Education and Healthcare reform, and the Economy? Or will 2A topics be put "on the back burner" until after the pending SCOTUS cases are decided?

If you think he's going to mention gun rights or gun "control".......what exactly do you predict he will say???

professorhard
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Prolly won't say anything about guns

Para45
01-27-2010, 1:03 PM
Doubtful - he's got way too much on his plate already so he's going to be doing as much appeasing and @$$ kissing as possible seeing as how the latest elections have gone and how his true colors are beginning to affect his poll numbers.....

PaperPuncher
01-27-2010, 1:04 PM
hahahaha

IrishPirate
01-27-2010, 1:06 PM
poll added

Josh3239
01-27-2010, 1:12 PM
The amount of people who want to listen to him talk about gun control is tiny to none. He will lose more popularity if he talks about anything other than Haiti, healthcare, the economy, Iraq and Afghanistan. Unfortunetly in that order to.

wildhawker
01-27-2010, 1:13 PM
Obama Admin/DNC has zero upside to addressing firearms or McDonald in his speech, with one caveat; if he elected to take a balancing approach, such as supporting the fundamental right to arms and the historic opportunity to overturn SH, he'd likely piss some on the left off but make gains among independents and center-right Reps without losing any more support than he already has (see Brady rating).

Fate
01-27-2010, 1:14 PM
He'll be too busy trying to spin his tailspin in the polls.

Uxi
01-27-2010, 1:15 PM
No, he's too afraid to bring this up given how unpopular all his other policies are.

CAL.BAR
01-27-2010, 1:21 PM
No. NO ONE but us and the Brady folks care a wit about gun control.

tombinghamthegreat
01-27-2010, 1:24 PM
He would have to be retarded to talk about gun control. Such an act would guarantee that the republicans could take back control, loss of health bill or democrats try to distance themselves from Obama.

Exposed
01-27-2010, 1:24 PM
The amount of people who want to listen to him talk about gun control is tiny to none. He will lose more popularity if he talks about anything other than Haiti, healthcare, the economy, Iraq and Afghanistan. Unfortunetly in that order to.

+1000!!!

CnCFunFactory
01-27-2010, 1:28 PM
Absolutely will not be a mention of it. With the midterms coming up and the failures recently had by the Dems it would be yet another nail in the Dems political coffin.

dantodd
01-27-2010, 1:41 PM
Maybe that should be a poll option.

No, he won't but I sure wish he would.

Cougar
01-27-2010, 1:54 PM
I seriously doubt that he'll even touch that subject tonight.

He has enough irons in the fire.

But rest assured that his minions ARE working on ways to contain and restrain 2nd amendment rights, as well as working on methods to harass his subjects who wish to exercise those rights.

ENTERTAINMENT VALUE:
Seven lies in under 2 minutes (open this soon as it will probably be pulled off the internet).

http://www.theospark.net/2009/09/video-7-lies-in-under-2-minutes.html

qaz987
01-27-2010, 2:05 PM
Nope. Like others have said, too many other problems people really care about. Look for it in a couple years.

radioburning
01-27-2010, 2:16 PM
Yes, he'll talk about it tonight.

"I'm comin' fa ya gunz SUCKA's!!!!!!!!!!! Tonight!!!! I'm gonna grab 'em all! And there aint a damn thing you can do about, seeeee?!

Yep, that's what he's gonna say. You'll see.

berto
01-27-2010, 2:43 PM
Nope. The last thing he wants to do is get the opposition even more riled up. Anything he says tonight shows up in November. Dems in trouble don't need any more baggage.

Aegis
01-27-2010, 2:57 PM
No way he talks about guns.

Most of his filibuster will focus on the lie that the stimulus package has "created or saved" millions of jobs and how he will work tirelessly to create even more jobs even as millions of people have lost their jobs on his watch. He will of course blame everything on Bush.

I also expect the stock market to tank tomorrow, because every time Obama or one of his surrogates speaks, the stock market drops.

7x57
01-27-2010, 3:09 PM
He is not really competent as president, as shown among other things by squandering the stature of the office on irrelevant things like the Olympics and a idiot Harvard professor (but I repeat myself) and a cop.

I say that to make the point that it would take more than a lack of understanding of how to govern to mention anything substantial gun control--it would take raging lunacy, and he is not that.

Besides, it appears that the administration got in trouble by listening too much to certain voices who said the Democrats lost control in 1994 in part because they didn't get HillaryCare passed. But those same voices said they also lost control because of the Clinton AW ban.

If none of that were to keep it out of the speech, and it will, then the threat of half the congressional Democrats staging an outright rebellion in terror that their president told them to stick one foot in a pool of brine and the other on the electrified rail would prevent it.

The most he would do, and I suspect even this is very unlikely, is to mouth some platitudes so vague that it would be hard to object to them, such as guns & criminals or something. He's more likely to try to defuse the issue by saying something equally vague and pointless about "second amendment" rights than he is to tackle another dangerous issue. But I think he'll very pointedly do neither. Why would he?

7x57

GrizzlyGuy
01-27-2010, 3:32 PM
OK, who are the 5 that answered 'Yes' or 'Maybe'? I'll bet each of you a $50 CGF donation that the subject never comes up.

Now... if he says something like "I've got the economy in my cross hairs and am gunning the spending engine so that employment shoots up", you don't win.

IrishPirate
01-27-2010, 3:48 PM
I'd have to say (since i haven't posted my opinion yet) that I agree with everyone else. I doubt very seriously that he will make any mention about guns or gun "control" tonight, and suspect that any mention at all will be so vague and muddied that it will go unnoticed by 99% of the population.

I believe he will take the French approach and wait until SCOTUS makes a decision and then jump on the winning side. I doubt we'll hear anything until that happens, if ever....

CalNRA
01-27-2010, 3:49 PM
I hope he will make a passionate speech to address the evils of long range sniper rifles, such as those bolt actions chambered in .270, .308, .243, and .300.

I really hope he does.

johnny_22
01-27-2010, 3:54 PM
He knows that he is close to repeating 1994 right now, without unpopular gun control proposals. No way he is going to try to increase to Democrat's losses in the House and Senate.

Dragunov
01-27-2010, 4:06 PM
I don't think he's that stupid.

ALSystems
01-27-2010, 4:15 PM
Doubtful - he's got way too much on his plate already so he's going to be doing as much appeasing and @$$ kissing as possible seeing as how the latest elections have gone and how his true colors are beginning to affect his poll numbers.....
Everyone thinks it would be stupid to bring up gun control and they are right.

I believe Obama is such a far left politician and true believer that he might still talk about gun control despite the obvious downside of doing it. :willy_nilly:

7x57
01-27-2010, 5:02 PM
I hope he will make a passionate speech to address the evils of long range sniper rifles, such as those bolt actions chambered in .270, .308, .243, and .300.

I really hope he does.

While I'd contribute money to an effort to make it happen, see my previous post about him not being a raging idiot. If there was any doubt about the reception, he already learned the lesson after the 'clinging to guns and religion' fiasco. Usually he takes more care not to let his contempt show when the venue is that public.

7x57

yellowfin
01-27-2010, 7:06 PM
His stupidity, career long anti gun slant, and indebtedness to the anti gun political complex are a lot to overcome and I don't expect him to be capable of doing so.

Trench Broom
01-27-2010, 7:19 PM
There's a speech tonight? :rolleyes:

mej16489
01-27-2010, 7:21 PM
I think the answer to the poll was No. Then again I'm not certain what happened when I went to the bathroom to vomit.

Swiss
01-27-2010, 8:23 PM
"Stupid" is not a word I would use to define our current President.

His stupidity, career long anti gun slant, and indebtedness to the anti gun political complex are a lot to overcome and I don't expect him to be capable of doing so.

DedEye
01-27-2010, 8:30 PM

Analysis fail.

Agreed. Savvy is a more appropriate term.

saberforge
01-28-2010, 12:48 AM
I think the answer to the poll was No. Then again I'm not certain what happened when I went to the bathroom to vomit.

LMAO, nice!

forgiven
01-28-2010, 1:09 AM
No, he'll wait to attack.

B yond
01-28-2010, 9:16 AM
Crouching President, Hidden Gun Ban

ALSystems
01-28-2010, 2:57 PM
Crouching President, Hidden Gun Ban
You make him seem like a snake hiding in a bush waiting to strike gunowners.

Oh wait, he is. :nuke: :devil2: :nuke:

In his speech, he certainly seemed angry at us little people who dared to challenge his grand visions of the future. He certainly seems sure he has all the answers and anyone who disagrees must be one of these people clinging to their guns and religion.

DirtRacer151
01-28-2010, 10:16 PM
I didn't watch it... so what did he say?

Blackhawk556
01-28-2010, 10:33 PM
I didn't even hear the word gun or firearms or anything related.

did I miss it???????????????????

Walker
01-28-2010, 10:35 PM

Smarter then last jackass we had but still no someone I want in office. One day this country will elect someone good....just the odds are I'll be long dead before that happens.

ALSystems
01-29-2010, 7:08 AM
I didn't even hear the word gun or firearms or anything related.

did I miss it???????????????????
No nothing was said about guns in the State of the Union.

But some kind of gun control will eventually come up when Obama knows he is a lame duck and it is politically safe for him to do what he truely believes in. :eek:

Sheepdog1968
01-29-2010, 8:03 AM
No nothing was said about guns in the State of the Union.

But some kind of gun control will eventually come up when Obama knows he is a lame duck and it is politically safe for him to do what he truely believes in. :eek:

He doesn't have the votes in either house. In 1994, we voted out a lot of politicians who voted for the Clinton ban. Clinton even admitted to this. Both houses remember this.

ALSystems
01-29-2010, 9:52 AM
He doesn't have the votes in either house. In 1994, we voted out a lot of politicians who voted for the Clinton ban. Clinton even admitted to this. Both houses remember this.
You're probably right. I don't expect any direct high profile gun ban/restriction.

I expect some type of stealth gun bill. :shrug:

Maybe a hidden rider in a popular must pass bill or something the Executive Branch can do all by itself. Perhaps some really sneaky approach :ninja: like that international small arms treaty that bans guns. I don't think there is the 2/3 majority to ratify something like this in the Senate but how much do you trust any politician? It would be challenged as unconstitutional of course.

But look how much has changed with a single Senate vote in the last week.

IrishPirate
01-29-2010, 1:06 PM
I think he's thinking the same thing that Diane Feinstein is thinking.....

0EIrb8yhXfg

make the ban permanent eh?????.....tsk, tsk, tsk!

we need to make sure we vote her out of office before she picks her time and place...

Dragunov
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
I think he's thinking the same thing that Diane Feinstein is thinking.....

0EIrb8yhXfg

make the ban permanent eh?????.....tsk, tsk, tsk!

we need to make sure we vote her out of office before she picks her time and place...
Ad Nauseum.