PDA

View Full Version : Laws/restrictions on electronic hearing protection?

Untamed1972
01-27-2010, 11:43 AM
Just had something odd happen. This isnt so much 2A related, as CA law related though. Wasn't sure where else to post it.

Anyway, I placed an order with Sportsmanguide.com for these Remington® Compact Hearing Enhancer and Protectors. :
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/compact-hearing-enhancer-and-protector-by-remington.aspx?a=522396

A little while later I recieved an email from them saying this was a restricted item and couldn't ship it to CA. The page says nothing about it being restricted for CA shipping. So I called to find out what the deal was, and was told their legal team restricted it for CA because "they are hearing enhancers and someone could use them for eavsdropping or some other manner then what they are intended for." Couldn't one technically use just about anything in a manner other then it was intended? So now we are going to be restricted from ordering things because we might use them in a manner other than intended?

I'm like HUH? Are you kidding me? I've never heard about CA having laws on hearing devices. Isn't a hearing aid a hearing enhancer too?

Is there some new law I don't know about? Sometimes I just wanna scream at how stupid things can be in this state!!!!

DedEye
01-27-2010, 11:54 AM
Sportsman's Guide is run by a bunch of idiots. They're like Cheaper Than Dirt in that they don't ship lots of legal products to California. Go buy what you want somewhere else and don't subsidize stupidity.

Untamed1972
01-27-2010, 12:08 PM
Sportsman's Guide is run by a bunch of idiots. They're like Cheaper Than Dirt in that they don't ship lots of legal products to California. Go buy what you want somewhere else and don't subsidize stupidity.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......that still doesn't answer my question as where they would come up with such a notion?

DedEye
01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Their asses. Seriously, where do you think most uninformed crap comes from?

bwiese
01-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, yeah, yeah.......that still doesn't answer my question as where they would come up with such a notion?

Sportsmen's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt come up with strange magical laws they think they're violating. It's only the power of their imagination.

Recording devices, amplifiers/mics, etc are legal in CA - just not if misused to eavesdrop/record private conversations etc.

Calm Down
01-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Sportsmen's Guide and Cheaper Than Dirt are only useful while I sit on the toilet. Look at the pics, marvel at their stupid shipping restrictions and purchase items from a different seller.

Dr Pete
01-27-2010, 1:05 PM
Just place your order with Midway. They usually have them on sale every other month. I ordered 2 after I couldn't find the first one I ordered :(

Untamed1972
01-27-2010, 1:24 PM
Recording devices, amplifiers/mics, etc are legal in CA - just not if misused to eavesdrop/record private conversations etc.

So I guess maybe they should just stop selling anything to CA because we might use the item for other then what it is intended for.

I was just curious if there was some specfic law, or a new law about listening devices that came into effect that might trigger them to make such a stupid and arbitrary restriction.

Untamed1972
01-27-2010, 1:25 PM
Just place your order with Midway. They usually have them on sale every other month. I ordered 2 after I couldn't find the first one I ordered :(

Good to know. Will hafta check that out.

Have you used them yet? Are they any good?

Dragunov
01-27-2010, 1:30 PM
So I guess maybe they should just stop selling anything to CA because we might use the item for other then what it is intended for.

I was just curious if there was some specfic law, or a new law about listening devices that came into effect that might trigger them to make such a stupid and arbitrary restriction.

WOW! Perhaps I'd better stop using a toothbrush to clean the action with or there'll be no more toothbrushes for the PRK!!:p

JJE
01-27-2010, 2:52 PM
Whenever any online seller tells me they won't send me something I just buy somewhere else - don't waste your time wondering about it or arguing with them because they aren't going to change their policy for you, even if they are wrong, and definitely don't reward them by buying from them when you could buy from somebody else that doesn't hassle you. Getting the cheapest price is less important that good service, and good service includes selling me what I want unless it's illegal to do so and you can explain why.

Midwayusa won't ship ammo or loading components to San Francisco (no, not even brass), because of some mystery policy that they can't explain. Instead of wasting my life researching whether they are right or wrong I just buy everything I need(loaded ammo, primers, powder, bullets, brass, etc) locally or from GOOD vendors like:

midsouthshooterssupply
natchezss
ableammo
ammunitiontogo

I won't buy from midwayusa unless they are selling something so cheap that I'm sure they're losing money on it.

Untamed1972
01-27-2010, 3:09 PM
Whenever any online seller tells me they won't send me something I just buy somewhere else - don't waste your time wondering about it or arguing with them because they aren't going to change their policy for you, even if they are wrong, and definitely don't reward them by buying from them when you could buy from somebody else that doesn't hassle you. Getting the cheapest price is less important that good service, and good service includes selling me what I want unless it's illegal to do so and you can explain why.

Midwayusa won't ship ammo or loading components to San Francisco (no, not even brass), because of some mystery policy that they can't explain. Instead of wasting my life researching whether they are right or wrong I just buy everything I need(loaded ammo, primers, powder, bullets, brass, etc) locally or from GOOD vendors like:

midsouthshooterssupply
natchezss
ableammo
ammunitiontogo

I won't buy from midwayusa unless they are selling something so cheap that I'm sure they're losing money on it.

Well like I said, there was nothing on the product page to indicate it was restricted, so I was curious as to what the reason was, so I called to find out. I was suprised at the answer, so I was wondering if there was some new law I didn't know about, and hence might run into this problem were I to try and order somewhere else too. And having heard just about every crazy "we wont ship that to CA" story there is here on CGN, this one was a total suprise. Never would have though something as simply as ear protection would be a restricted item in CA.