PDA

View Full Version : Steve Poizner

javalos
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
Where's he stand on gun rights?

bwiese
01-27-2010, 11:27 AM
He made a favorable noise on AB962.

The information I have was, prior to that, he/staff refused to meet with any NRA reps. (Quiet contact with major interest groups of any stripe by a candidate for governor is kinda standard/not unusual...)

Until I know more and/or he speaks more, I regard him as at best a Schwarzenegger or another Whitman/Campbell variant.

kf6tac
01-27-2010, 2:24 PM
He made a favorable noise on AB962.

Maybe it was just the beans he had for lunch that day.

Mikeinblack
03-04-2010, 8:32 PM
Any updates on his 2A positions?

Sam .223
03-04-2010, 8:37 PM
i heard that he supported the repeal of the the property tax cap proposition, can't remember the number off hand but if thats true theres no way i'd vote for him.

BigDogatPlay
03-04-2010, 9:05 PM
Poizner has, essentially, tried to remain quiet and aloof relative to 2A, likewise on many, many issues. The whisper I've heard in some circles is that he is not a friend of ours, but I've not seen anyone willing to go on the record (particularly Mr. Poizner) so any position he might have would be pure conjecture.

FWIW and strictly IMO, he's not going to beat Meg Whitman's checkbook even though his is pretty substantial on it's own. Whitman is talking a good game on spending and taxation, but socially she is at least as liberal as Schwarzenegger. JB looks and acts like a friend of ours but he is way far out in left field across many key issues.

Come November we're going to have some ugly, ugly choices to make.

CalNRA
03-04-2010, 9:08 PM
some pretty strong statements for a guy who never talks much about the 2nd.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xCdInwNVtks&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xCdInwNVtks&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mikeinblack
03-04-2010, 9:12 PM
Good enough for me...

CalNRA
03-04-2010, 9:16 PM
between this statement versus Meg Whitman's "I support assault weapon ban and handgun control", not even close.

Humboldt
03-04-2010, 10:31 PM
Why can't we have a real republican candidate, i'm so sick of these liberal california yuppy republicans. This state needs a real redneck style conservative.

BigDogatPlay
03-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Why can't we have a real republican candidate, i'm so sick of these liberal california yuppy republicans. This state needs a real redneck style conservative.

Because real conservatives are not electable to state wide office. Ask Tom McClintock how well it worked out for him.

:D

Thanks CalNRA for that video. More research I must do, more phone calls I must make. But Meg's checkbook is going to put Poizner's campaign to sleep I think.

bigstick61
03-05-2010, 12:41 AM
As far as the Republican primaries go, there is no way that Poizner is worse than Whitman. Since there is no other more suitable candidate, in the primaries he'll get my vote, although given the campaign Meg is running, I seriously doubt he'll win. I'll probably vote Ogden in the general.

CharlieK
03-05-2010, 6:54 AM
Even though I'm a Libertarian, I'm registered Republican. After doing some research here and elsewhere, I believe I'll be voting for Poizner. His stance on taxes and reduced spending is impressive and I can find nothing to support the idea that he's a gun grabber (if someone has real evidence he is, I'd like to see it). Meg is a RHINO of the worst sort from everything I have read...and she's clearly a gun grabber. Reminds me of a female Arnold.

Poizner it is.

Mordeen
03-05-2010, 7:14 AM
As important as 2A is in this election, I'm surprised people aren't looking deeply into every candidate's statements on the issue.

This article (http://stevepoizner.com/blog/2010/03/02/statement-from-steve-poizner-regarding-pivotal-gun-rights-case-mcdonald-v-city-of-chicago/) is from Poizner's website.

-Mordeen

Mordeen
03-05-2010, 7:23 AM
I think it's also important to note that campaign finances are nothing in the face of a motivated voter base. If the majority of CA residents on this board registered as Republican in order to vote in the primaries for Gov, and put their collective votes toward one candidate who represents this group's interests, that individual would be on the ballot in November. Period.

Is CalGuns planning on endorsing a candiate prior to the primaries? I have a feeling SCOTUS is going to put a lot of control in the hands of the states for 2A, and the right governor will be a huge help for our cause.

-Mordeen

vantec08
03-05-2010, 7:26 AM
well Humboldt .. .. . because elections in CA are decided by the major metropolitan areas .. . . . LA, bay area, San Diego metro. These major metros and inner cities are steeped in liberal do-good-ism and various something-for-nothing philosophies, and they arent about to give up their grip on the state treasury.

cineski
03-05-2010, 7:34 AM
The words Democrat and Republican don't mean much anymore.

thomasanelson
03-05-2010, 8:18 AM

Because they never get elected to the big house. Only moderate RINO's have a chance in CA. Remember Bill Simon?

BigDogatPlay
03-05-2010, 9:22 AM
As important as 2A is in this election, I'm surprised people aren't looking deeply into every candidate's statements on the issue.

This article (http://stevepoizner.com/blog/2010/03/02/statement-from-steve-poizner-regarding-pivotal-gun-rights-case-mcdonald-v-city-of-chicago/) is from Poizner's website.

-Mordeen

So, in fairness, what was his stated position prior to McDonald being heard? Aside from the similarly timed comments on AB962 that were linked earlier. If you find one, let me know.

Call me cautiously optimistic, but the timing smells a little bit of a politician bandwaggoning to some degree. Poizner has long been thought of as a fiscal conservative, but a social moderate.

CharlieK
03-05-2010, 9:27 AM
I think it's also important to note that campaign finances are nothing in the face of a motivated voter base. If the majority of CA residents on this board registered as Republican in order to vote in the primaries for Gov, and put their collective votes toward one candidate who represents this group's interests, that individual would be on the ballot in November. Period.

Is CalGuns planning on endorsing a candiate prior to the primaries? I have a feeling SCOTUS is going to put a lot of control in the hands of the states for 2A, and the right governor will be a huge help for our cause.

-Mordeen

Agreed!

CharlieK
03-05-2010, 9:30 AM
well Humboldt .. .. . because elections in CA are decided by the major metropolitan areas .. . . . LA, bay area, San Diego metro. These major metros and inner cities are steeped in liberal do-good-ism and various something-for-nothing philosophies, and they arent about to give up their grip on the state treasury.

Hey! This gun totin' Libertarian lives in LA. If Massachusetts can oust a Democrat, California can elect a fiscally conservative Governor. Don't give up!!!