PDA

View Full Version : iPad?

Barbarossa
01-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Who's getting one?

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/bto/20100127/IMG_2481_610x406.JPG

The iPad is 0.5 inches thin and weighs 1.5 pounds. A 9.7-inch IPS display, the same display used in the latest-generation iMac. It has full capacitive multi-touch screen, 1Ghz custom Apple chip. It's called A4, the most advanced chip they've done: processor, graphics, i/o memory controller on one chip. Can have 16, 32, or 64 GB of SSD storage. 02.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, accelerometer, compass, and a 10-hour battery life.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31021_3-10440943-260.html

Mute
01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
So....basically,it's an oversized iPod touch.

GP3
01-27-2010, 10:54 AM
^yes

I still don't see a use for it.

It will need to be priced right.

It should be called iDentitycrisis.

GP3
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
live blog: http://live.gizmodo.com/

Barbarossa
01-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I still don't see a use for it.

I'm thinking of in the classroom use. Textbooks/research/assignments/homework/communications/social networking.

Lets say your taking English 101.

You join up, download the textbook and syllabus, it's a touch screen, so you should be able to write on it with a stylus and take notes.

It could very well end paper in the classroom.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm thinking of in the classroom use. Textbooks/research/assignments/homework/communications/social networking.

You join up, download the textbook and syllabus, it's a touch screen, so you should be able to write on it with a stylus and take notes.

I tried that with a Windows tablet (actually, a couple of them). Unless the iPad's handwriting recognition is a lot better then any of the Win tablets, it's easier to take your notes on a piece of paper, which is what I went back to doing. My current tablet is a Fujitsu Lifebook, which has the best of both worlds with a swiveling screen and full keyboard.

Then again, maybe I'm just a dinosaur... :D

radioburning
01-27-2010, 11:30 AM

You can accomplish all of these things with a common laptop.

Vin496
01-27-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm getting one.

jchen76@gmail.com
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
Latest news and pricing -

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?entry_id=56083

Now Steve is wrapping up things. It's an amazing product, he says.
What should we price it at?" Steve asks. Steve says Apple wants to put
this in the hands of a lot of people. Drumroll.... It's $499. Wow. 16
GB WiFi model is $499. 32 GB is $599 and 64 GB is $699. 3G is more.
The prices are $629, $729 and $829 with 3G at the same size

jchen76@gmail.com
01-27-2010, 11:44 AM
$499 for ginormous Itouch. Hmmm.

anhero
01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
LOL the upgrade version is called a MaxiPad. worst name ever to pick for it

Nxd9ar15xcrL
01-27-2010, 1:18 PM
I love my Iphone, but I don't see any reason right why I need / want this. It's got a bigger screen, okay....

Barbarossa
01-27-2010, 1:27 PM
LOL the upgrade version is called a MaxiPad. worst name ever to pick for it

Well they were going to call it the iTapOn...

Gryff
01-27-2010, 2:05 PM
Whew...now that it's announced, I can finally admit that I am here in SF working on this event. It's been CIA-level security here for the past several days.

The device is pretty cool, but it is lacking a few things (a built-in webcam would have been a smart idea). It really is a giant iPod Touch, but the price isn't bad considering that a top-of-the-line Touch is $400.

dude
01-27-2010, 2:13 PM
It really is a giant iPod Touch, but the price isn't bad considering that a top-of-the-line Touch is $400.

A better comparison is between models with similar storage space. A 64GB iPad is $300 more than a 64GB iPod Touch. That is $700, and if you want 3G, it is another $130. Pretty expensive and not worth it IMO.

NaughtyMonkey
01-27-2010, 2:13 PM
You can accomplish all of these things with a common laptop.

Yes and much cheaper!

Rekrab
01-27-2010, 2:42 PM
Most underwhelming product launch ever.

jchen76@gmail.com
01-27-2010, 2:48 PM
Probably need to use external keyboard if you want to do word processing on it, but that's just me. I thinking you will need to doc to a PC/Mac to upload Itunes/MP3's songs to the pad.
No camera, bummer.
I wonder if has expansion slots for external USB devices and memory card reader.

I think I'll stick to my sub $200 Itouch for now.

Bug Splat
01-27-2010, 2:57 PM
Most underwhelming product launch ever.

DING DING DING!

I've been saying this for months. Utter crap! All the Fanboys would argue with me saying i don't now anything about it so how can I knock it. Tablets were tried.... for the past 10 years! They sucked and the market failed for them. Anyone that has owned a tablet knows they are uncomfortable to hold, uncomfortable to use, and aside from a very very small nitch market they are worthless compared to a laptop or netbook half the price and 5 times the processor and memory.

These will not sell and I would put money on that. Your typical fanboy will buy anything with an Apple logo but for those sitting and watching on the fence, they will be jumping back over the other side.

JDay
01-27-2010, 3:05 PM
Whew...now that it's announced, I can finally admit that I am here in SF working on this event. It's been CIA-level security here for the past several days.

The device is pretty cool, but it is lacking a few things (a built-in webcam would have been a smart idea). It really is a giant iPod Touch, but the price isn't bad considering that a top-of-the-line Touch is $400.

This is going to be a bigger failure than the newton.

SuperSet
01-27-2010, 3:33 PM
I'll add this to my kit as soon as I see Travis and Chris using one.

CA Gun Laws Suck
01-27-2010, 4:12 PM
I agree with everyone that said this is an oversized Ipod touch. I have a macbook and Ipod touch...So, I don't need one... I can find someother stuff to spend 500+ dollars on. Like finishing my AR! Small market for these but people will buy anything with that APPLE logo on it.

Cokebottle
01-27-2010, 4:28 PM
So....basically,it's an oversized iPod touch.
iSaw
iPuked
iHateapple

Danield
01-27-2010, 4:30 PM
iGay

lazyworm
01-27-2010, 4:34 PM
no thanks. I can buy TWO netbooks with bigger screens for the price of 1 cheapest ipad.

lehn20
01-27-2010, 5:15 PM
TOTAL FAIL!

Rekrab
01-27-2010, 5:20 PM
This is going to be a bigger failure than the newton.

Apple's die-hard fanbois will keep it alive. They didn't have the same crowd of Ammerica-Apparel wearing, white-earbud listening legion of slavering fanbois back then that they do now.

CnCFunFactory
01-27-2010, 5:25 PM
I already have one and it makes phone calls as well, it's called the iPhone.:43:

darkshier
01-27-2010, 6:34 PM
Underwhelming. Too expensive, and doesn't do anything special that a cheaper netbook couldn't. Hell, that web browser still can't display flash. Will wait for the next version.

Mute
01-27-2010, 7:41 PM
I see a massive fail of Newtonian proportions.

glock_this
01-27-2010, 7:57 PM
I will get one. Big Apple fan for 20 years, so it is kind of a given for me :)

Not interested in the 3G, so will just get the highest end Wi-Fi model w/ 64gb

As usual, Apple just upstaged and punked all eBook readers out there - Sony, B&N, Amazon.. you all just got owned! Not to mention all the other cool shiznit it can do: iPhone apps, maps, calendar, iTunes.. games (if your a gamer). Wow

Did you watch their 6 minute video, stunning product. Stunning.

And please.. it is way more than a huge iPod Touch - so much so, if I have to explain why - you wouldn't get it anyway

The name does suck though.... bad

RRangel
01-27-2010, 8:00 PM
It looks like they're going for the Kindle market with Apple style pricing.

Vin496
01-27-2010, 8:01 PM
I got to disagree, I think this is going to be fairly popular. It's entry point is $499 so it is doable for most. This product is going to be for those who don't want/need a laptop but enjoy their phones and wouldn't mind something larger.

I can see older people really liking it, if you watched the actual presentation you saw that it has a lot of potential in the software as it's no slouch in the hardware.

Its looks like its going to be killer for portable gaming and I really liked the idea of the subscription to newspaper and magazines.

Is it perfect no, I really wanted it to have a camera, as video chatting would have been awesome.

MikeinnLA
01-27-2010, 8:39 PM
I think the MaxiPod will be a great reader, but that's about it. I LOVE my HP netbook, it's a keeper.

Mike

Loner
01-27-2010, 9:05 PM
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/413/ipadkw.jpg (http://img30.imageshack.us/i/ipadkw.jpg/)

No flash support = FAIL

Gryff
01-27-2010, 9:20 PM
Apple's die-hard fanbois will keep it alive. They didn't have the same crowd of Ammerica-Apparel wearing, white-earbud listening legion of slavering fanbois back then that they do now.

Yeah, but I'm not sure which is more entertaining...the mindless legion ("hateboys"?) that is committed to hating all things Apple for the simple fact that its from Apple or the style obsessed drones that think that an Apple logo makes them cool.

Gryff
01-27-2010, 9:30 PM
And who would have imagined that MadTV predicted the iPad two years ago:

8eF0y0IfpPU

glock_this
01-27-2010, 10:15 PM
No flash support = FAIL

not totally true... Adobe: Flash Apps Will Run On The iPad, Even Full Screen At Some Point (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/27/AR2010012704222.html)

glock_this
01-27-2010, 10:18 PM
And who would have imagined that MadTV predicted the iPad two years ago:

a tablet has been rumored for like what, 6-7 years.. given Apples naming convention, "iPad" was an obvious choice batted around from early on

to bad it was selected as the final candidate - but they hardly predicted it

joea
01-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I found this comment on Breitbart
The iPad? Also available with wings?
Twitter users responded snarkily Wednesday to the name of Apple's latest innovation the iPad, pushing the phrase "iTampon" to a number two "trending" topic on the microblogging site....http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.3bb1888ef1a1aa64be3cb69f704ec08 b.da1&show_article=1

Cadillac version……Cad-Pad

Palm Beach model….Hanging Chad-Pad

Victoria's Secret version…….Scantily Clad-Pad.

Chamber maid version……….Scouring-Pad

Scottish version………..Plaid-Pad

Rapper’s version……..Bad-Pad

....the French version for frogs....LilyPad

....Lewinski version....KneePad

Gryff
01-27-2010, 11:04 PM
a tablet has been rumored for like what, 6-7 years.. given Apples naming convention, "iPad" was an obvious choice batted around from early on

to bad it was selected as the final candidate - but they hardly predicted it

Did you actually watch the video?

JDay
01-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Not interested in the 3G, so will just get the highest end Wi-Fi model w/ 64gb

As usual, Apple just upstaged and punked all eBook readers out there - Sony, B&N, Amazon.. you all just got owned! Not to mention all the other cool shiznit it can do: iPhone apps, maps, calendar, iTunes.. games (if your a gamer). Wow

The Kindle 2 comes with 3G (no access fees) and is $200 cheaper. Apple didn't do anything groundbreaking here. More useless crap being touted as a must have device. I bet you don't get more than a couple weeks use out of it before you get tired of the thing.

Did you watch their 6 minute video, stunning product. Stunning.

And please.. it is way more than a huge iPod Touch - so much so, if I have to explain why - you wouldn't get it anyway

The name does suck though.... bad

Meh, it is nothing more that a giant ipod touch, this device does nothing special.

Curtis
01-28-2010, 12:22 AM
I could see getting one for home. My wife and I have a laptop in the kitchen for checking e-mail and reading news etc. Great for sitting on the couch.

JDay
01-28-2010, 12:26 AM
I got to disagree, I think this is going to be fairly popular. It's entry point is $499 so it is doable for most. This product is going to be for those who don't want/need a laptop but enjoy their phones and wouldn't mind something larger.

Netbooks already exist for this purpose, are cheaper, have more power and don't limit you to the apps that are in the itunes store.

I can see older people really liking it, if you watched the actual presentation you saw that it has a lot of potential in the software as it's no slouch in the hardware.

I doubt older people will be wanting this.

Its looks like its going to be killer for portable gaming and I really liked the idea of the subscription to newspaper and magazines.

Is it perfect no, I really wanted it to have a camera, as video chatting would have been awesome.

Gaming without a controller sucks and the Kindle 2 is $200 less, has no 3G access fees and is much better for ebooks, newspaper and magazine subscriptions. Has a physical keyboard too. Apple is hoping to sell this based on brand name recognition alone, once the wow factor wears off people are going to hate it.

RogueSniper
01-28-2010, 1:22 AM
If I can find a good everyday, every situational reason why I would need Steve's Tablet, I would get one in a heartbeat. I don't have an iPhone or iTouch - just not what I need. I have an iPod which I use for movies, music, and as a harddrive - I'm waiting for the iTouch to come up with an 80GB or 120GB version.

I'm not an Apple user (not the same as a Non-Fan) because the way I use my laptop would kill any Mac. I've had to replace EVERYTHING on my Lenovo Z61P because I work it to death. The AppleCare warranty can't even touch Lenovo/IBM. Besides, I can take it to just about any authorized tech and they can fix it. If the Tablet is tough enough to take a beating and still run (and not run away crying) I'll get to replace my Lenovo.

Gryff - Did they let you take home any samples? :) I bet the event was a logistical nightmare.

badfish71
01-28-2010, 2:07 AM
wow so many haters. i think its a cool idea, i just think back a few years when the first ipod was just amazing. then the ipod touch, iphone etc. i'm glad the technology is reaching us instead of just being available to the government. but they thats Just IMHO...

JDay
01-28-2010, 3:03 AM
wow so many haters. i think its a cool idea, i just think back a few years when the first ipod was just amazing. then the ipod touch, iphone etc. i'm glad the technology is reaching us instead of just being available to the government. but they thats Just IMHO...

All they did was add a larger screen to the ipod touch and added an option for 3G, how is that a cool idea? If I need something that size I'll get a netbook for much less and not be stuck using the apple approved apps from the app store.

gunn
01-28-2010, 6:48 AM

A truly good product should explain itself. Trying to take the elitist path and say that only people within my clique will really get it is the same tactic that all the clowns who mindlessly back their crappy "quirky" car brands or niche market sports (speed stacking, anyone?) use.

For the record, I HATE apple and steve job's products. I sincerely object to how their products are designed to be disposable vs repairable and how the UI tries to hide features in an effort to make the 20% of features that 80% of the users use slightly easier to use. Both of these philosophies piss me off.

That being said, I really did like the IPOD and the iphone. Much as though I dislike Apple, these two products are quite good AND EXPLAIN THEMSELVES despite the shortcomings of a non-easily removable battery. IMO, the IPAD falls quite short.

I don't feel the ipad has the same kind of appeal for the similar reasons outlined:
- as an ebook killer: great, you want to kill an already niche market product. IMO, ebooks would be great for HS/college textbooks but the device itself should be <$100.
- as a web browsing tablet: Netbooks are cheaper.
- Will this POS require prying some glued plastic edge to replace the battery? I don't know for sure but i'm guessing the answer is yes.

Loner
01-28-2010, 7:34 AM
glock_this - adroid os 2.1 on the nexus one already has flash support.

So iphone os=fail

Vin496
01-28-2010, 7:57 AM
All they did was add a larger screen to the ipod touch and added an option for 3G, how is that a cool idea? If I need something that size I'll get a netbook for much less and not be stuck using the apple approved apps from the app store.

The basic facts is people like different things. I have never seen the appeal of a netbook, some friends and relatives have them and all they are(to me) are little crappy laptops. They all bought them because they were cheap and small, and now almost all of them sit unused in some drawer, because they did nothing well.

From your post I can see that you have a problem with Apple's policies w/ the App store, but to 98%+ of other people that isn't an issue.

You also have to factor in the the ease of use in this thing, tens of millions of people are familiar with it's operation and are setup to run it already, that is the biggest difference and what gives it the edge to succeed over over tablet/book readers.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 8:01 AM
For the haters...

It is just a theme for some to hate on anything Apple does, and they make it clear in their posts. Alway trying to diminish or marginalize their products, always finding fault and quick to dismiss, despite the fact the rest of the population can clearly see it for what it is and the competitors are scrambling to keep up.

If you think this is hardly better than any current eBook - again, it is laughable and not sure how you do not see it. On just that 1 front, the iPad has an OS.. the current eBooks are flat, 1D, static, boring displays. Nothing like an OS. That alone makes the current eBooks laughable. Holding a Kindle, compared to this, really will be like hold a newspaper - just as flat and unemotional. Apple just made existing eBooks look as dated as cell phones were years ago when they came out with the iPhone.

Besides the eBook ability.. photos, the interactive multi-touch, music, all the apps you can download, you then kick the eBook up to a whole new level. So to say "all they did was...." - ha ha ha ha ... yeah, all they did was make something no one else has. And give it abilities to dual run apps and iPhone apps, and make book reading - like page turn - more true to real book reading.

So look, you can hate on it all you want and hate on Apple, and it will be futile for anyone to try to convince you otherwise - but the public will show you that it is a popular piece and not a "fail" bw ha ha ha, yeah, a "fail". And, be best assured the competition, like with the iPhone, is all ears right now.

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/LocutusOfBorg.jpg

resistance is futile, just give in and accept it.. ;)

Starscream
01-28-2010, 8:05 AM
I would rather read with e ink.

Vin496
01-28-2010, 8:33 AM
I would rather read with e ink.

I am curious how the iPad display will hold up for heavy duty book readers over the eink of the Kindle or Barnes n Nobles device.

Loner
01-28-2010, 8:34 AM
It'll be as successful as the Newton, pippin, and powercd.

Vin496
01-28-2010, 8:57 AM
It'll be as successful as the Newton, pippin, and powercd.

Your using products from 15-20 years, Apple is in a very different place in the market than it was back then.

Do all Apple products hit it big, of course not, current examples would be the Apple TV and probably the mac mini to an extent. I'm sure neither has lived up to expectations, but the whole iphone/ipod and now ipad are on a whole different level.

If you watched the announcement, he mentions something that kind of shocked me, that Apple is the largest mobile device company in the world now, bigger than Samsung,Sony and Nokia in terms of revenue.

Dekker
01-28-2010, 9:18 AM
iWillWait. If their past business means anything, I'll wait awhile before even considering it. My speakerless touch is proof of that as is the newer iPhone. There will be upgrades and advances, buying the first gen of anything Apple is pointless. Save your dinero, wait till the smaller version comes out with more gizmos.( knowing Apple, in like 5 months)

glock_this
01-28-2010, 9:26 AM
not sure a smaller version of this will arrive as they are pretty clear that that size makes all of the things it can do: email, read, games, video, pictures the "best" viewing possible.

BUT, I would agree there will be next iterations and I suspect that will mean a camera. A camera facing you so you can then use iChat. And on that note, there are some rumors that the "final" working version of this is not yet complete and so a "camera" could still be in the works, but not ready for prime time. I doubt that, so I suspect a built in cam would be the next iteration.

but hey, even if you are an early adaptor, you can sell it to get the next V2 as someone will buy it

Loner
01-28-2010, 9:41 AM
Nokia just announced 16.8 billion in sales for Q4. Steve was blowing smoke yesterday.

Barbarossa
01-28-2010, 9:52 AM
I went out and bought an ASUS Eee PC Netbook last night. $279.

Win.

ac427cpe
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
till the ipad can:

run flash in safari
run more than one app at a time
utilize a usb port
run office (its version might be ok, provided everything can save the same)
chauffeur me around

I think I'll just stick to my netbook.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Okay, someone who has some legit complaints not in the form of a general generic bash

Flash... not a huge concern for me, but it should be integrated for sure. That is just part of the web. Flash, JS, Jquery, etc.. all part of the web so should be runable. I do not think this is that far off.

Yes, I think multi-tasking really is a must and I am rather surprised they swept that under the rug. So, would agree that is a no brainer going forward. Likely their biggest area of needed improvement on their "i" products.

Why need a USB port? It is not like a computer, exactly, where you can just load anything onto it - for example, there is no desktop to access - so what would you use the USB access for as you would not have access to whatever you tried to place on it.

yeah, I am a huge Office user - Entourage is my mail app of choice and Word is the industry standard - and not stoked by their iLife stuff.. but it would suffice. Never will it run Office, it is a competitor for their products.

and it needs a self facing camera.. and we should be able to remove batteries ourselves. Well, you can, if your willing/able to do things like that on your own, but I am talking via a simple battery door for the masses.

Mute
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
The iPhone/iPod is popular (and well thought out) because you can just throw it in your pocket and go. If I'm going to drag something this size around, it might as well be a fully functional laptop. There are plenty (PC or Mac based) that aren't significantly larger or heavier than the iPad.

No flash? Huge fail for a web browsing device. I hate flash, but it's an unavoidable reality when it comes to the internet.

Camera? Stupid. Can you imagine holding this thing up and trying to take pictures with it?

glock_this
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
The iPhone/iPod is popular (and well thought out) because you can just throw it in your pocket and go. If I'm going to drag something this size around, it might as well be a fully functional laptop. There are plenty (PC or Mac based) that aren't significantly larger or heavier than the iPad.

No flash? Huge fail for a web browsing device. I hate flash, but it's an unavoidable reality when it comes to the internet.

Camera? Stupid. Can you imagine holding this thing up and trying to take pictures with it?

First, no Flash is so not a fail - let's be honest. I develop sites for a living. Have for over 12 years. We don't do Flash. Flash is fun and neat, but the big players don't use it - unless - it is for ads or banners or specific small pieces. It is harder to update, requires a plugin, can't be bookmarked, hard to print inner pages of full sites, less SEO friendly, more costly to develop, can take more bandwidth, harder CMS integration & limits, can be harder to integrate into sites, etc. Given non Flash technologies like Jquery, you can do awesome interactive functions, like Flash, that make Flash totally not needed for most all business sites. Yes, it should be integrated as it is part of the web. Is it essential to the web, heck no! As an example, I use a plugin in all my browsers that disables Flash unless I click it to use that piece. Most of the time, the Flash elements on most business sites are ads, banners.. nothing of real value. Ask yourself, unless your visiting a very specialized type of site like a gamers site or a music site, does not viewing Flash elements stop your ability to use 99% of the sites out there, no? Me having Flash disabled unless I enable it with a click - I hardly ever do - more often then not allows me to stick to the key content and not get bogged down in flashy BS. Flash usage is for very targeted markets. So for most, not having it is not really an issue. There is not 1 site I visit, daily or just on a whim, where the Flash not being active would have stopped me.

Second.. as I clearly said, the camera would be self facing - not for taking photos of others.. d'uhh self facing allows for iChat usage.

JDay
01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Idiots will buy anything.

Mute
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Here's the biggest sticking point I see with the iPad. I can't think of a single situation where the iPad would be more handy than a laptop. The iPhone OS is great on a small device. You accept the limitations in exchange for handiness. It is truly a marvel that you get that much computing capability in the palm of your hand. You put that operating environment into a device the size of a small laptop and you quickly lose all of the reasons for buying the smaller device.

Vin496
01-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Idiots will buy anything.

Damn well call me stupid then.

Why do people get so bent out of shape over things? If you don't want one then dont buy one, but why do you have to berate others for wanting one?

JDay
01-28-2010, 1:37 PM
Damn well call me stupid then.

Why do people get so bent out of shape over things? If you don't want one then dont buy one, but why do you have to berate others for wanting one?

I just think its stupid that people will buy anything with the Apple logo on it and they actually believe its the greatest thing since sliced bread. This pretty much sums it up.

NSFW language in image (http://makeuseof.com/tech-fun/images/iproduct-feel-special.jpg)

Rekrab
01-28-2010, 2:00 PM
As usual, Apple just upstaged and punked all eBook readers out there - Sony, B&N, Amazon.. you all just got owned! Not to mention all the other cool shiznit it can do: iPhone apps, maps, calendar, iTunes.. games (if your a gamer).

The iPad looks like it does a lot of things, but it doesn't do them as well as the dedicated devices.

Gaming? Nope. Too expensive and there's a bigger library of good games elsewhere. I could buy an xbox360 for the price of an iPad. PsP and DS are way better anyways.

ebooks? Again, way too expensive. It also doesn't have the market penetration that Kindle and Nook already have.

Productivity? No physical keyboard with tactile response means increased strain on your wrists. It's also a proprietary OS so that means no WinOffice(industry standard) or Open Office.

General Use? A netbook is far more cost effective for the average user and offers the same amount of versatility that the iPad does.

Now, if I wanted to do all of those tasks with a mediocre, single device, I'd buy an iPad. If I wanted to do any of those individual tasks well, I'd buy the write tool.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the iPad. But what I've seen from the liveblogs of the unveiling it just doesn't do what I want.

badfish71
01-28-2010, 2:35 PM
maybe im just WAY behind in the times but i remember when the ipod came out then the iphone, and i could not even have imagined the technology then. obviously with rapid moving technology it has come a long way but i would not have imagined this either. i cant wait to see what is in store for the future. im glad companies bring new things out even if people think its weak or a FAIL.. it just opens up the imagination for future products.:)

Gryff
01-28-2010, 2:59 PM
Gryff - Did they let you take home any samples? :) I bet the event was a logistical nightmare.

A sample? Nope. Hell...if I got a sample from every Apple event I work on, I'd need a room in my house to store it all.

As for logistics, it wasn't exceptionally bad. The issue with an event like this is having every detail thought out, and building as much redundancy into the production as possible. Apple is famous for the hype of its new product releases, so the event has to go off perfectly. From a production standpoint, there is no room for anything to go less than perfect. That adds a lot of stress, but really isn't that much more logistical effort for a two-hour event.

And for the hateboys, you can claim that it is because the product "sucks," but I have a hard time valuing the opinions of people who make $50K/year over a company with a 30-year record of insane success that generates $42 billion/year in sales.

The problem you are making is the same problem people have made with products like the iPhone and iPod. You are looking at it as a Fail in terms of replacing a netbook, eBook, etc. Your view is too narrow. The question is going to be how much can the iPad do and how conveniently can it do it. It does more than a netbook. It does more than a ebook. It does more than an iPod. What things are we not realizing that it will do? I think that the limitations of it (i.e. no physical keyboard) will be blotted out by all the things that it does amazingly easily.

I don't think it's the end-all-be-all of electronic devices, and I definitely won't buy one until it has an iSight (web cam) in it, but it's a seriously cool device that opens the door for a lot of possibilities.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 3:07 PM
I just think its stupid that people will buy anything with the Apple logo on it and they actually believe its the greatest thing since sliced bread. This pretty much sums it up.

you have made your disdain very well know and clear.

too bad you think it is "just" because Apple made it, people will buy it. There is more to it than that. For me, it is more about it just so happens they did and the fact, no one else is stepping up with advances like they are. So, they did it.

The simple, undeniable fact is - that like Google for search engines, or maybe Audi for cars or maybe Hitachi for TVs - these guys rule the roost in inventiveness, out of the box thinking, great form factors, truly usable GUIs and interactiveness... that is just a fact and you know it. You can hate all you want - it is that classic "because everyone likes I will hate" mentality. Fine, frankly, I don't really care.. the fact is, and their competition knows it, they are well ahead of people in design concepts, execution, final product.

Lastly, and the best part for you, because of Apple, as much as you hate it, YOU benefit as the companies that you do like press ahead to keep up and develop and respond and that improves their products.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 3:11 PM
The iPad looks like it does a lot of things, but it doesn't do them as well as the dedicated devices.

Gaming? Nope. Too expensive and there's a bigger library of good games elsewhere. I could buy an xbox360 for the price of an iPad. PsP and DS are way better anyways.

ebooks? Again, way too expensive. It also doesn't have the market penetration that Kindle and Nook already have.

Productivity? No physical keyboard with tactile response means increased strain on your wrists. It's also a proprietary OS so that means no WinOffice(industry standard) or Open Office.

General Use? A netbook is far more cost effective for the average user and offers the same amount of versatility that the iPad does.

Now, if I wanted to do all of those tasks with a mediocre, single device, I'd buy an iPad. If I wanted to do any of those individual tasks well, I'd buy the write tool.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the iPad. But what I've seen from the liveblogs of the unveiling it just doesn't do what I want.

"medicore" - wow...

it is not about doing everything 100% equal to or better then 5 different devices - though I would totally disagree about them not doing it equal to if not better than some stand alone products - it is about the fact that, for the masses, it does what 5,6,7 different devices do.. and does them great. And that, for most, is worth the price of admission and the ability to leave 5 at home and walk out the door with... 1 item

RogueSniper
01-28-2010, 3:17 PM
I wish Apple had a demo program. I would pay to rent/use a Tablet for a couple of months just to get the hang of it and to see if it's a good tool for my day to day computing.

External peripherals are no big deal. My laptop has a docking station for my three monitors, printers, scanner, blah blah. Who really uses an optical drive on the run? Just gimme your flash drive or I'll email you the file! Everything is BT anyway.

When the hype calms down and the Tablet reaches it's break into point and the Haters and Doubters and On-The-Fencers (that's me) are more accepting, then MAYBE I'll look at it more seriously.

Rekrab
01-28-2010, 3:28 PM
"medicore" - wow...

it is not about doing everything 100% equal to or better then 5 different devices - though I would totally disagree about them not doing it equal to if not better than some stand alone products - it is about the fact that, for the masses, it does what 5,6,7 different devices do.. and does them great. And that, for most, is worth the price of admission and the ability to leave 5 at home and walk out the door with... 1 item

Mediocre may be a bit harsh.

But it's still less than perfect. This is one of those products that Apple could have done a lot better if they waited for market saturation, like they did with the iPod. See what everyone else is doing, then learn from their mistakes. With the iPad I'm not really seeing any learning going on.

Don't get me wrong, I dislike Apple; but I still rocked an iPod until I had a phone that worked better for my music needs. Apple does some things right, but on this one they seriously jumped the shark and realized a device that was simultaneously before its time and woefully behind the times. Crucial things like multi-tasking should not be left out of a modern computing device.

I know it's too much to ever ask Apple for an open platform, but the closed nature of this device means I'd never want one. Which makes me sad, because it's a cool idea.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 3:29 PM
You know, in March, it will be a mad rush to the stores just to hold, touch, see it in person. I have a store within 5 miles and I will certainly check it out.

I, for one, will not likely buy right off the bat. I am generally not really an early adopter. I tend to sit back and watch.. and when the issues get worked out, I jump in feet first. And frankly, I am not even sure this is for me.. though I 100% see the value and utility of it. Does not mean it is perfect yet for me.

Plus, I read that the eBook prices are, sadly, pretty highly priced :eek: But maybe the interaction and ability of their eBooks, as compared to any of the other drab white pages, it 'might' be worth the price. "might"

Given their track record, I am willing to just bet this will be a killer product and will fly off the shelves. I am looking forward to seeing it, but 10x more forward to a Verizon iPhone running OS4 with multi-tasking :) That I would buy on day 1.

Rekrab
01-28-2010, 3:30 PM
...and this is just the cane shaking old man on the porch in me, but I hate eBooks. Hate 'em with a passion. Books need to be on paper. Put your flashy magazines and newspapers in e-ink, but don't kill my printed word.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 3:37 PM
Mediocre may be a bit harsh.

agreed :)

But it's still less than perfect.

come on.. what product is ever "perfect" - I mean, that is such an over used easy to throw out criticism. What, exactly, are you talking about? What could be improved? Multi-tasking, change your own battery, SD slot, Flash ;)... what?

This is one of those products that Apple could have done a lot better if they waited for market saturation, like they did with the iPod. See what everyone else is doing, then learn from their mistakes.

uhhh.. they did.. Look at what "everybody else is doing" and you will see (1) no one does anything like this so no one to look at and (2) those that do something kind of like it, like any current eBook reader - well, just use one 1 time yourself and compare it to this. Please, no comparison.

Crucial things like multi-tasking should not be left out of a modern computing device.

100% totally agree.. that is a bad move. BUT, if it is software addressable, an OS update could handle it. I admit, I am not sure if multi-tasking is a software only coding issue or if there are related hardware chipset requirements.

I know it's too much to ever ask Apple for an open platform, but the closed nature of this device means I'd never want one. Which makes me sad, because it's a cool idea.

I tend to agree here.. Google's open source will advance faster I believe. BUT, Apple does make the SDK available and if anyone is choosing to make apps for 1 or the other, they are making them for Apple. So, it is "open" to the degree that they allow others to make killer apps - but it is closed in that they do not allow others to improve the OS.

glock_this
01-28-2010, 3:39 PM
...and this is just the cane shaking old man on the porch in me, but I hate eBooks. Hate 'em with a passion. Books need to be on paper. Put your flashy magazines and newspapers in e-ink, but don't kill my printed word.

paper print is dying off. not soon.. but the day will come.

I love books also, have nearly a 300 paperback collection.. but it's days are numbered.

Rekrab
01-28-2010, 3:46 PM
paper print is dying off. not soon.. but the day will come.

I love books also, have nearly a 300 paperback collection.. but it's days are numbered.

LIES! It will never die! And I'll still be carting my diapered butt to whatever dusty section of town I have to to find my hard cover books with cloth binding!

come on.. what product is ever "perfect" - I mean, that is such an over used easy to throw out criticism. What, exactly, are you talking about? What could be improved? Multi-tasking, change your own battery, SD slot, Flash ;)... what?

Yes.

uhhh.. they did.. Look at what "everybody else is doing" and you will see (1) no one does anything like this so no one to look at and (2) those that do something kind of like it, like any current eBook reader - well, just use one 1 time yourself and compare it to this. Please, no comparison.

I disagree here primarily because I've played with tablet PCs already. I think that they didn't borrow from the tablet PC enough. Which, I wouldn't actually compare to the iPad if it weren't for the fact that they're basically the same device. The tablet PCs I've seen are considerably more expensive than the iPad but they can also do everything a good laptop can do with the added benefit of being touch sensitive.

100% totally agree.. that is a bad move. BUT, if it is software addressable, an OS update could handle it. I admit, I am not sure if multi-tasking is a software only coding issue or if there are related hardware chipset requirements.

I haven't actually seen the hardware specs on it yet so I can't comment much on it. But I suspect they'll have multi-tasking available whenever OS4 hits the market. If they don't, epic fail.

I tend to agree here.. Google's open source will advance faster I believe. BUT, Apple does make the SDK available and if anyone is choosing to make apps for 1 or the other, they are making them for Apple. So, it is "open" to the degree that they allow others to make killer apps - but it is closed in that they do not allow others to improve the OS.

Their horrible arcane and mysterious methods for approving apps is also highly suspect. If I can't just hop online and download any app I want, I'm not interested. God bless homebrew.

Barbarossa
01-28-2010, 3:54 PM
iPad ballistic calculator :D

I can just imaging a 10" iPad hanging off some guys rifle. LOL

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01242/sniper_1242825c.jpg

Gryff
01-28-2010, 4:10 PM

Have you tried the Kindle? The text quality is amazing, and for me it has been a god-send since I HATE traveling for work and finishing my book while I'm on the road. I'm picky what I'll read, so having an eBook that can download new books from a huge selection is worth its weight in gold.

Rekrab
01-28-2010, 4:22 PM
Yes. Books are an analog technology for me. I've tried them in many different formats, hardcover will always be my preference.

Cokebottle
01-28-2010, 5:21 PM
For the haters...

It is just a theme for some to hate on anything Apple does, and they make it clear in their posts. Alway trying to diminish or marginalize their products, always finding fault and quick to dismiss, despite the fact the rest of the population can clearly see it for what it is and the competitors are scrambling to keep up.
They do drive innovation in the industry. I'll absolutely give you that.

Beyond that? Overhyped, overpriced, fail to function as promised (iPhone would have been a LOT better had they teamed up with VZW, or left it open to be used on any network), like the AT&T situation, they lock in proprietary formats (iTunes) that make life more difficult.... And in less than 6 months, it's available at a substantial discount... usually, but not always to make room for an improved model.

Much of the Apple hype is driven by an irrational hatred for Microsoft. Sure, MS has had it's issues, but I've been with them since DOS 2.11 (I actually started on TRSDOS 2.0), and I have yet to encounter any problems or regret any of my OS upgrades.

Granted, I lag. I'm not running Win7, I did not switch to Vista, and actually, right now I'm still on XP SP2... I haven't installed SP3 yet (I have installed all of the security updates). XP has worked fine on this machine since 2002, I have no need or reason to upgrade until software or hardware requirements force it. I did the same with Win3.1, Win95, and Win98se.

JDay
01-28-2010, 6:19 PM
maybe im just WAY behind in the times but i remember when the ipod came out then the iphone, and i could not even have imagined the technology then. obviously with rapid moving technology it has come a long way but i would not have imagined this either. i cant wait to see what is in store for the future. im glad companies bring new things out even if people think its weak or a FAIL.. it just opens up the imagination for future products.:)

The iPod was nothing new when it came out, all apple did was release an mp3 player with an easy to use interface. other mp3 players that were already on the market had far better hardware already. Same thing with the iPhone, smart phones had already been out for many years. Apple loves to release stuff that's been done before and claim they are revolutionary when they are not. They didn't even invent the GUI that was used in the Macintosh, they stole it from Xerox. Why do you think they Macintosh team flew the Jolly Roger? For the price of an iPad you can get an actual tablet that has a full keyboard, faster processor, removable battery (can carry spares if you need them), webcam, USB/Firewire ports, ethernet, wireless, 3G card and much more storage space. Now tell me why I would want to buy one of these and be locked into using the apps that Apple allows onto the app store? If size if your concern you can get a netbook and spend the money you saved on ammo.

JDay
01-28-2010, 6:24 PM
And for the hateboys, you can claim that it is because the product "sucks," but I have a hard time valuing the opinions of people who make $50K/year over a company with a 30-year record of insane success that generates $42 billion/year in sales.

Steve Jobs himself said he was taking a big gamble with this product. The only reason that it exists is because Apple's customers have been wanting a tablet for years. Apple screwed up with this big time by not having a physical keyboard (I know you can buy one for $79 but come on, $79 for a keyboard?) and not having it run full OS X. I really do not see this being a big success past initial sales. Its just too little too late.

JDay
01-28-2010, 6:28 PM
you have made your disdain very well know and clear.

too bad you think it is "just" because Apple made it, people will buy it. There is more to it than that. For me, it is more about it just so happens they did and the fact, no one else is stepping up with advances like they are. So, they did it.

The only advance they may have made with this product would be in the processor they developed for it, maybe. Touchscreens have been around for years and so have computing devices and tablet pc's. I can do everything the ipad does with any of my computers. The interface may not be the same but that doesn't really matter.

JDay
01-28-2010, 6:34 PM

They actually disabled it in the OS. That takes more effort than leaving it enabled.

Loner
01-28-2010, 8:32 PM
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3578/applemarketing.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/applemarketing.jpg/)

Apple is the H&K of computers.

MrNiceGuy
01-29-2010, 9:25 AM
I'm a brand whore.
I buy LMT, LaRue, etc just because "all the cool kids" have it.
When I first bought it I wasn't worried about if it's really worth the money, I only got it because everyone else thought it was awesome (turns out the majority was right in this particular instance).

Same thing for the iPad, I'm going to get it because most of the people "I" know are going googoo gaagaa over it.
I honestly haven't even looked at the specs or did any research but I know I'll get one.

I'm dumb and a follower and just want to be cool like everyone else, I know that.
And the majority of the Apple kool-aid drinkers are like me.
And Apple will sell alot on iPads.
That is all.

Gryff
01-29-2010, 11:37 AM
So many hateboys. That much irrational hate, you'd think that someone used a Mac to beat you up when you were kids. Or that you've always lusted for a Mac, but just couldn't afford one.

Entertaining.

The iPod was nothing new when it came out, all apple did was release an mp3 player with an easy to use interface. other mp3 players that were already on the market had far better hardware already. Same thing with the iPhone, smart phones had already been out for many years. Apple loves to release stuff that's been done before and claim they are revolutionary when they are not. They didn't even invent the GUI that was used in the Macintosh, they stole it from Xerox. Why do you think they Macintosh team flew the Jolly Roger? For the price of an iPad you can get an actual tablet that has a full keyboard, faster processor, removable battery (can carry spares if you need them), webcam, USB/Firewire ports, ethernet, wireless, 3G card and much more storage space. Now tell me why I would want to buy one of these and be locked into using the apps that Apple allows onto the app store? If size if your concern you can get a netbook and spend the money you saved on ammo.

Steve Jobs himself said he was taking a big gamble with this product. The only reason that it exists is because Apple's customers have been wanting a tablet for years. Apple screwed up with this big time by not having a physical keyboard (I know you can buy one for $79 but come on, $79 for a keyboard?) and not having it run full OS X. I really do not see this being a big success past initial sales. Its just too little too late.

The only advance they may have made with this product would be in the processor they developed for it, maybe. Touchscreens have been around for years and so have computing devices and tablet pc's. I can do everything the ipad does with any of my computers. The interface may not be the same but that doesn't really matter.

They actually disabled it in the OS. That takes more effort than leaving it enabled.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3578/applemarketing.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/applemarketing.jpg/)

Apple is the H&K of computers.

I'm a brand whore.
I buy LMT, LaRue, etc just because "all the cool kids" have it.
When I first bought it I wasn't worried about if it's really worth the money, I only got it because everyone else thought it was awesome (turns out the majority was right in this particular instance).

Same thing for the iPad, I'm going to get it because most of the people "I" know are going googoo gaagaa over it.
I honestly haven't even looked at the specs or did any research but I know I'll get one.

I'm dumb and a follower and just want to be cool like everyone else, I know that.
And the majority of the Apple kool-aid drinkers are like me.
And Apple will sell alot on iPads.
That is all.

Cokebottle
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
So many hateboys. That much irrational hate, you'd think that someone used a Mac to beat you up when you were kids. Or that you've always lusted for a Mac, but just couldn't afford one.

Entertaining.
That's the same thing Harley owners say when they bag on metrics.
News flash! I actually wanted a liquid cooled engine, and a VROD wasn't practical. I could have bought an Ultra... had the money, but instead I bought a metric and converted it.

A friend had a MAC back in the "classic" days. He converted to PC and now has 4 or 5 boxes around the house.

Rekrab
02-01-2010, 10:15 AM
Apple might be in trouble over this name:

http://en.akihabaranews.com/31766/tablet-pda/apple-potentially-in-trouble-with-fujitsu-with-the-ipad-trade-name

Californio
02-01-2010, 10:40 AM
I was disappointed they did not announce Core I5 and I7 for the MBP, the stock price reflects that disappointment.

Looks like I will be getting a Verizon broad band modem that can be moved between several machines. ipad doesn't do it for me with only 64gig storage.

badwolf
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I'll be getting one. And designing software for it as well! (even if I wasn't doing iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad software, I probably still would have gotten one)

I think the interaction model of the devices lend themselves better to the form factor than some of the tablets of the past, will be interesting to see if the product does well over the next few years.

Cokebottle
02-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Maybe they should have called it "iPhone gRande"

glock_this
02-01-2010, 2:17 PM
Apple might be in trouble over this name:

http://en.akihabaranews.com/31766/tablet-pda/apple-potentially-in-trouble-with-fujitsu-with-the-ipad-trade-name

the best thing that could happen here is that Apple has to change the name.. it is a horrible name and even an Apple lover like me can admit that - but that is unlikely

goober
02-04-2010, 11:15 PM
heh (http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/f7a03edbd7/pee-wee-gets-an-ipad)

Bobula
02-05-2010, 6:41 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/bobulaondeck/ipad_vs_notebook.jpg

glock_this
02-05-2010, 8:19 AM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/bobulaondeck/ipad_vs_notebook.jpg

classic cherry picking of what they want to compare to make a point.. :rolleyes:

BUT, what if we added boxes like:

Thinner
Lighter
No Lid
Built-in WiFI & 3G Options (Wireless and cellular)
Run your paid for iPhone apps
eBook Reader
10hr battery life
Mullti-Touch
IPS Display
Advanced GUI
Portrait or landscape orientation
Accelerometer
Ambient light sensor
SIM card tray

there would be more check marks in the other column.

get it?

s30
02-05-2010, 9:13 AM
iPad is marketed solely to a different crowd. the ONLY issue Apple has is their incompetents not to include flash/adobe on the iTouch/Phone/Pad.

glock_this
02-05-2010, 10:27 AM
iPad is marketed solely to a different crowd.

agreed

the ONLY issue Apple has is their incompetents not to include flash/adobe on the iTouch/Phone/Pad.

Flash.. bah, I addressed that elsewhere as it is such a red herring issue as a "fail" or "deal breaker" some cry about.

I mean come on already with the Flash claim... Has not having Falsh ever stopped you from visiting a web site? Disable it one time and see if you really loose out. In 99% of the cases, of sites you want to visit, no problem with no Flash. More times than not, Flash is used in banners and ads, less in overall 100% design unless if it is for a very targeted market, and sometimes in navigation. Big players do not use Flash in design. What REALLY matters is JavaScript... Flash, yawn. I use plugins in all my browsers that disable Flash and only enable it IF I click on the Flash piece being blocked. What do I find in years of running this plugin, I find it never stops me from viewing sites I want to view. AND, I build sites, spend 10 hours a day on a computer, visit hundreds and hundreds of sites.

My point is.. people cry "oh man, no Flash" but really, it is really a minor annoyance and not the level 10 grievance some want to act like it is. Not even close.

Do I think it should be integrated, yes as it is part of the web. Do I think it is a fail or bad move not to, not 1 single bit. And clearly, neither does one of the best companies in the industry and frankly, neither do +90% of the people out there - because they will and do buy it and know it matters little really. Adobe wants you to have it for sure though and they are busting arse to make it happen.