PDA

View Full Version : What the heck defines a sniper rifle?

VarmintKiller
01-27-2010, 10:32 AM
I read about guys in here talking about a sniper rifle. What is a sniper rifle and how does it differ from my coyote gun w/heavy barrel and good scope? I have several good rifles that I think would work great as a sniper rifle meaning they are accurate at long range.

I am interested to know what sniper rifle really means to some guys. Please help with definitions or descriptions of your sniper rifle or what defines a "sniper rifle" to you.

kwest10
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
a rifle used to snipe.
Snipe is a fast moving bird and those that could shoot it well were called "snipers".
I don't think there IS a technical definition for "sniper rifle".

lawaia
01-27-2010, 10:37 AM
"Sniper" is a profession. A "sniper" shoots a precision rifle.

CAL.BAR
01-27-2010, 10:46 AM
California law defines a "sniper scope" as one with infrared or night vision capabilities. Otherwise no legal definition of "sniper rifle"

vandal
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
If you get shot with a rifle bullet and you can't find the shooter, it was a sniper rifle.

tiger222
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd say in the way the rifle is used can get it labeled as such - anyone shooting from a discreet or disguised shooting position even with a 22 could become a sniper and therefore the weapon a sniper rifle.

WeekendWarrior
01-27-2010, 11:20 AM
I think the answe is in the name itself: a rifle that a sniper uses.

People tend to throw this terminology around a lot for marketing purposes, a way of baiting people to buy a firearms because it sounds cool.

The reality is many rifles could be a sniper rifle. All it needs to be is precise and have a big enough caliber to take down a man (or woman) at the intended target distance.

VarmintKiller
01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I have read sniper rifle and the like so many times I just wondered what are they exactly talking about. My basic idea was right on I guess.

ilikeguns
01-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Like (ignorant) people say "assault rifle" when the gun looks scary. Same principle applies here.

Noobert
01-27-2010, 12:52 PM
If the media calls it one, then it is a sniper rifle

aplinker
01-27-2010, 12:56 PM
A rifle to be used or used for sniping.

Or

A rifle used by a professional sniper.

Or

Something long, black and scary (or was that a breathalyzer?).

lawaia
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I think it would be more accurate to say "sniper's rifle," indicating a rifle that is being used by a sniper. In a skilled shooter's hands it would be called a "precision rifle". In my hands it would just be called a rifle.:)

Frijolito1988
01-27-2010, 12:59 PM
Sniper rifle, is a rilfe used by a Sniper, usually military. IMHO you cant go to a store and buy a " sniper rifle " unless you , your self are a sniper by proffesion, then A rifle would be called a sniper rifle. Any joe blow can buy a " Precision rifle " and shoot at paper targets all day.

professorhard
01-27-2010, 1:01 PM
If you get shot with a rifle bullet and you can't find the shooter, it was a sniper rifle.

And there it is

crud
01-27-2010, 1:07 PM

ChrisO
01-27-2010, 1:19 PM

Shot with a rifle bullet? What else is a rifle going to shoot you with? A steak?

crud
01-27-2010, 1:24 PM
Shot with a rifle bullet? What else is a rifle going to shoot you with? A steak?

You could get shot with a pistol bullet. But, if you didn't see where it came from... did you get shot with a "sniper pistol"?

SJgunguy24
01-27-2010, 1:26 PM
A Sniper is a trained professional, their rifle is the tool they use to get the job done.
Like most widely used gun labels it is just another scare tactic by the media to paint firearms and thier owners in a bad light.
Grandpa's old deer rifle is a hunting rifle, but it'll put 3 rounds in a 1" group and 300 yards so would that be considered a sniper rifle?

jrr
01-27-2010, 1:52 PM
Ha, reminds me of a time I was at Angeles Ranges shooting my tricked out Remington 700. Heavy barrel, big optics, HS precision stock, etc. Some guy was there with his boy, maybe 9-11, and the kid asked me if it was a sniper rifle. I told him "No, because I'm not a sniper. Its a target rifle."

Bug Splat
01-27-2010, 2:09 PM
Ha, reminds me of a time I was at Angeles Ranges shooting my tricked out Remington 700. Heavy barrel, big optics, HS precision stock, etc. Some guy was there with his boy, maybe 9-11, and the kid asked me if it was a sniper rifle. I told him "No, because I'm not a sniper. Its a target rifle."

HAHAHA I've been asked the same thing by kids while shooting my bench guns. Even an occasional adult noob will ask me if its a "sniper rifle". I can see why though. Long barrel, big rounds, high power scope, small groups. I would want to be on the business end from 0-1000 yards.

The media would like to call any rifle with optics a "sniper rifle" but the truth is there is no such thing. There are "snipers" and they use rifles.

01-27-2010, 2:16 PM
Sniping is a jargon for precision shooting. If you do sniping, they can call you sniper.

Are you really a "Sniper" ?

In military and other branches, you have to earn the title. I can use my precision rifle to hunt or shoot accurately at the ranges, but I don't have the "Sniper" title as the qualified grunts.

One has to achieve more than just accurate shooting to have the title of "Sniper" nowadays.

It's not necessary that a Sniper's rifle is more precise or can shoot more accurate than your target rifles, but their equipment is capable to get the job done and survive the environment that others might fail.

VarmintKiller
01-27-2010, 4:13 PM
Like (ignorant) people say "assault rifle" when the gun looks scary. Same principle applies here.

AGREED

asgalindez
01-27-2010, 8:14 PM
Sniper - It's a British term (for those of you whom have never shot snipe in the UK, they are uncanny little buggers who fly an undulating, weaving pattern at remarkable speed)These shore birds are often found inland and prefer a mix of woodland, pastures and water. Therefore, in the days of old, anyone who managed to bring one down was considered somewhat of a marksman - sniper if you will. I say, jefferies is a bit of a sniper old chap. Watch him.

If you've ever shot a snipe, then you're a sniper.

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2010, 8:19 PM
If you've ever shot a snipe, then you're a sniper.

I've gone snipe hunting. Does that count?

asgalindez
01-27-2010, 8:24 PM

Were you using the .50cal? :D

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2010, 8:55 PM

Yep, a .50" dia. stick and a paper bag.

Rob454
01-27-2010, 9:26 PM
Any rifle can be a sniper rifle. The sniper is the marksman. the rifle is jsut a tool. My SKS could be a sniper rifle.
Personally I feel any rifle that can accurately place a bullet in a 3 inch circle at 500 yards minimum IMO is a accurate rifle. The only rifles I consider a "sniper" rifle are rifles that are used by the military to kill bad guys at long distances

01-28-2010, 12:36 AM
Any rifle can be a sniper rifle. The sniper is the marksman. the rifle is jsut a tool. My SKS could be a sniper rifle.
Personally I feel any rifle that can accurately place a bullet in a 3 inch circle at 500 yards minimum IMO is a accurate rifle. The only rifles I consider a "sniper" rifle are rifles that are used by the military to kill bad guys at long distances

If I'm a "Sniper", I'm going to choose my equipment whichever to help me to get my job done.

Hell no... SKS is NOT on my list of equipment.

duc748bip
01-28-2010, 3:12 AM
In a hand of a sniper?

Sniper3142
01-28-2010, 8:12 AM
A precision rifle being used by a LEO or Military Sniper is a Sniper's Rifle.

The same way a wrench used by an actual plumber becomes a plumber's wrench. You or I can go buy the same exact wrench but it isn't a plumber's wrench... it's just a wrench.

wildcard
01-28-2010, 9:02 AM
I think it's a quantifiable designation and depends on how much crap you can hang off your AR.

It's a "Tactical Rifle" if you have at least 5 rails..

It's a "Sniper Rifle" if you fill at least 4 of them. One of which MUST include the biggest Barksa, Leapers, or ATN scope available.

MudCamper
01-28-2010, 9:22 AM
bolt action = SNIPER RIFLE!
pump action = STREET SWEEPER!
semi-auto = ASSAULT WEAPON!

Or at least that's what the news tells me.

Oh, and they are all HIGH POWERED!!

wildog8812
01-28-2010, 9:31 AM
This makes me laugh because I bought a bolt action gun the other day and told a buddy. He said a what? I told him you would call it a sniper rifle, but there is no such thing. He said really? I said yes and had to explain.

jumbopanda
01-28-2010, 9:38 AM
I think it's a quantifiable designation and depends on how much crap you can hang off your AR.

It's a "Tactical Rifle" if you have at least 5 rails..

It's a "Sniper Rifle" if you fill at least 4 of them. One of which MUST include the biggest Barksa, Leapers, or ATN scope available.

:rofl:

M1A Rifleman
01-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Hand Gun Control has a definition - its an accurate rifle. :rolleyes:

sevensix2x51
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
Yep, a .50" dia. stick and a paper bag.

i thought it was supposed to be a burlap sack! maybe thats why ive gotten skunked the past ~60 times ive gone... :confused:

Barney Gumble
01-28-2010, 3:34 PM
Precision rifle is a better term for any rifle designed to shoot small groups at long distances.

Timberwolf
01-28-2010, 3:52 PM
The term sniper is a job description - plain and simple. In recent years its become an ugly word in some applications and something everyone seemingly strives to be or claims to have been.

A rifle in the hands of a "sniper" can be termed a "sniper rifle" if its what he uses to do his job, the same rifle in the hands of a deer hunter may well be classified as a "deer rifle", and the same rifle in the hands of a target shooter would be a target rifle.

Remember during the early days of 'Nam the Win M70 target rifle, with a Unertl target scope was employed as a "sniper" rifle before the introduction of the M40. Former rifle team shooters were recruited to be "snipers" (Gunny Hathcock)

We put entirely too much emphasis on titles that when the day is done mean absolutely nothing.

swerv512
01-28-2010, 3:56 PM
emphasis on titles that when the day is done mean absolutely nothing.

^^^
Yep...

five.five-six
01-28-2010, 4:03 PM

I just use an empty pillow case and yell "SNIPE!"

they fly right in

FeuerFrei
01-28-2010, 4:17 PM
Unfortunately the government and liberal media decides that your daddy's old model 70 Winchester with a scope on it could be a "sniper" rifle.
How did it ever get to this? :nuts:

bomb_on_bus
01-28-2010, 7:04 PM
hunting, sniping, terrorism, etc. all the same right?

According to the brainwashed MTV liberal media masses they all are.

juelz919
01-28-2010, 8:56 PM
If a young guy talks about a sniper rifle he is talking about a cool looking long range/precision rifle.
much similar to how when a young person talks about how "tight" something is it has nothing to do with how small it is they are talking about it's level of coolness..

these whipper-snappers and their lingo. but the times are a changin