PDA

View Full Version : 5.45x39 steel core ammo legality

69veewee
01-27-2010, 7:41 AM
I also posted this in the "Laws" forum, but can someone tell me the legalities of this ammo in California? I am selling some on GB and have an interested party in LA county (outside of the LA city limits) A lot of sellers say they won't sell it to LA county, but the interested buyer states that its illegal only in LA city. Can someone tell me the real deal? preferably with documents?

Thanks a ton!

cxerphax
01-27-2010, 10:24 AM
What makes you think it's not legal?

01-27-2010, 4:13 PM
Some city or district do not allow shipment of ammo at all, not just the 5.45x39, regardless if 5.45x39 is steel core.

Rob454
01-27-2010, 9:21 PM
As long as its not actual armor piercing ammo or incendiary ( tracer) ammo its legal to sell
most so called steel core ammo is simply bimetal. Does the ammo actually have a steel core penetrator? pull one of the bullets and cut it with a pair of dikes. if you cut right through then its just lead core with bimetal jacket. if you encounter a good resistance you do have steel core ammo but I doubt it is that.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-27-2010, 9:26 PM
As long as its not actual armor piercing ammo or incendiary ( tracer) ammo its legal to sell.

:fud:

Armor piercing rifle ammo is perfectly legal to sell in California.

Rob454
01-27-2010, 9:37 PM
:fud:

Armor piercing rifle ammo is perfectly legal to sell.

Really? Where? So you are saying I can walk in a gun store and ask for armor piercing rifle ammo and they will sell it to me?

Josh3239
01-27-2010, 9:41 PM
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalog1/product_info.php/cPath/0_30/products_id/1768

Hayashi Killian
01-27-2010, 9:47 PM
Armor piercing handgun ammo is not legal. Incendiary/tracer ammo (regardless of caliber) is not legal. Armor-piercing rifle ammo is perfectly legal. The typical steel core found in 7N6 ammo is best described as semi-AP. It's the rough equivalent of SS109 or M855.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-27-2010, 10:24 PM
Really? Where? So you are saying I can walk in a gun store and ask for armor piercing rifle ammo and they will sell it to me?

It's pretty rare to just find AP ammo in your local gun store, but if you find a store with some in stock then they can sell it to you. It's easier to find it online.

FFL's are not allowed to sell AP 7.62x51 or 7.62x39 to non-FFLs though. The Feds have determined those two calibers to be "handgun" ammo for the purposes of the Federal AP ammo restrictions. Stuff defined as AP "handgun ammo" under Federal law is still perfectly legal to buy, sell, own and shoot if your State or locality doesn't have additional restrictions. It just can't be imported or manufactured for civilian sales and FFL's can't sell it to non-FFL's.

hnoppenberger
01-27-2010, 11:06 PM
turners had m855 awhile back. OH NO PENETRATOR OH HOW HORRIBLE.

killshot44
01-28-2010, 1:12 AM
I also posted this in the "Laws" forum, but can someone tell me the legalities of this ammo in California? I am selling some on GB and have an interested party in LA county (outside of the LA city limits) A lot of sellers say they won't sell it to LA county, but the interested buyer states that its illegal only in LA city. Can someone tell me the real deal? preferably with documents?

Thanks a ton!

Seems LA Area ranges have a problem with it due to a supposed fire danger...

sd1023x
01-28-2010, 9:59 AM
OP, you probably mean bi-metal jacket as opposed to steel core right.

And good article on the "steel core" rifle ammo ban. http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

Mssr. Eleganté
01-28-2010, 4:21 PM
OP, you probably mean bi-metal jacket as opposed to steel core right.

And good article on the "steel core" rifle ammo ban. http://www.thegunzone.com/762x39.html

That article is not about a steel core rifle ammo ban. It is about ATF classifying 7.62x39 ammo as handgun ammo so that it would come under the steel core handgun ammo ban. Read the article again and you will see.

The OP is not posting about 7.62x39 ammo. He is posting about 5.45x39 ammo. Most milsurp 5.45x39 ammo has steel in both the core and the jacket. But ATF has not classified 5.45x39 ammo as "handgun" ammo, so it is not effected by the steel core handgun ammo importation ban.