PDA

View Full Version : MAG (PS3 game) Clan for Calguns.net [CGN]

grammaton76
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
If you see [CGN] attached to a guy getting killed a lot in MAG - that's probably me. Particularly if his username is grammaton76.

Same rules for membership as the Resistance 2 clan - if you're a Calgunner, send a clan request and send me a PM on here.

As far as I'm concerned, this is NOT going to be a serious "make schedules and do matches and such" clan. I have a day job, and am not going to add another thing to my list of stuff I HAVE to do. :)

caoboy
01-26-2010, 10:38 PM
Is it out yet?

How do you like it?

With enough people on CGN, we might take over one faction!

Sugacookie
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I just picked it up. Its Fun... Never was a fan of the first person shooter on consoles.. Figured I'd givr it a shot. Do you mind If i add u as a friend?

grammaton76
01-26-2010, 11:35 PM
Sugacookie: You're added. :)

MAG just launched yesterday.

sleepiemonkee
01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
I was in the beta...looked pretty solid. Playing with 255 other people's going to get intense.

grammaton76
01-27-2010, 11:42 AM
Some MAG advice for folks - I'm level 12, so it's not like I'm some uber-advanced guy. However, here's my bit. Bear in mind I play Raven, as its description sounds like me and most of the rest of Calguns. On average - we have very nice, very expensive toys, but on the balance we're really low on training. Former military members excluded, of course.

Anyway, I started off putting points into medical and the sniper rifle. Medical gets you 10 points for a revive and several points for a heal, so it's a great way to get started off and get you out of that "skirmish" mode you're stuck in for the first 4 levels. Because there's no objective other than killing other folks, you don't get the opportunity for experience-doubled kills so those levels take a while.

The DMR rifle (HS90 I think) is basically a G3, and it does a nice job with its 4x sight. However, at longer ranges you're basically just announcing your location because it takes a few hits to kill unless you get lucky with a head shot. The forward pistol grip was nice for stabilizing though, and provided some snappy follow-up shots. As for optics, your magnification's 4x and will be 4x for quite some time on the sniper path. However, notice I said the grip is nice? Don't buy it. Read below.

I noticed as I got towards level 12, that I was getting consistently mowed down by guys who shot like snipers, but had full auto. Those were guys with assault rifles and 4x scopes. Remember how I said your sniper rifle's going to be 4x? Yeah, at range you've got as much chance of a headshot as the guy with an assault rifle but he has full auto.

I respec'ed my character at level 12 and put all my points back into the assault weapon tree. Had to give up medical and sniping, but in exchange I got the best assault rifle available (Supposed to be a Sig 55x I think), with forward grip and 4x optic. It out-snipes the DMR easily, and places hits on target more readily than the machine gun. My kill/death ratio is way up now vs where it was, and I should be able to regain points rapidly in order to recover what I lost.

DON'T WASTE POINTS ON:
* Acoustic locator. Doesn't seem to significantly boost your detection range.
* Impact resistance. You don't jump/fall often enough in this game for it to matter.

EARLY BUYS:
* Medical kit. You get plenty of points for healing folks, and at early levels few other guys get it. 10 points for a revive, when kills are only worth 5 points outside of an objective area.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND:
* In the armory, your basic configurations have some extra 'credits' available. Try upgrading to heavy armor and notice that your 'heavy gear' slot will let you bring a rocket launcher to the party. You're welcome. The launcher doesn't seem to do a whole lot of damage, but it does perform denial of area pretty well and the smoke can keep snipers from doing their job while your guys swarm.
* Thankfully, they don't show all the enemies' locations all the time. Sniping actually involves watching carefully for movement in the distance, etc. And I don't know how many guys I've seen get sniped because they didn't think to stay BACK from the ledge and in the shadows. You're not doing yourself any favors by exposing more than your gun's barrel and the top of your head.

doughboy334
01-29-2010, 11:46 PM
on the to buy list :D

EM31
01-29-2010, 11:51 PM
I bought this yesterday and its good. The game really depends on teamwork.

On a side note can the OP send me a invite to clan?

PSN: panchovilla4
(anyone with MAG, add me)

screaming_spool
01-29-2010, 11:55 PM
add me KOOTBLASTER

gwl
01-30-2010, 9:11 AM
This sounds too fun. Looks like I'm gonna have to get this.

bigcalidave
01-31-2010, 3:37 AM
Been waiting for this one, but I'm really never gonna play it if I get it. Not enough to get any good at it :P

WeekendWarrior
02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
Im trying to decide right now: MAG vs the new battlefield game coming out in March...

Dangerpin
02-01-2010, 11:04 AM
I lost a lot of respect for the Battlefield franchise when they decided to go Team Edward vs Team Jacob for a Battlefield Heroes event. Do I really need vamps vs wolves intruding on my otherwise emo-free life?

I'm going to have to check out MAG, it sounds great.

grammaton76
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I bought this yesterday and its good. The game really depends on teamwork.

On a side note can the OP send me a invite to clan?

PSN: panchovilla4
(anyone with MAG, add me)

Looks like we both have to be online at the same time. I've tried to invite you to the clan, but it doesn't seem to give me the option unless you're online at the time. I did add you to my buddy list already, though.

I'll watch for ya to be on and see if I can invite you when I'm online. Same goes for the rest.

grammaton76
02-01-2010, 1:00 PM
add me KOOTBLASTER

Will try to do so this evening.

4thHorse
02-01-2010, 2:52 PM
Too bad, I'm playing as Valor.

grammaton76
02-01-2010, 3:54 PM
Too bad, I'm playing as Valor.

I don't think the clans are restricted by faction, although if they are that'll suck.

Wonder what'd happen if I created Valor and SEVR characters? Maybe that could serve as a 'bridge' to allow the clan to be multi-faction?

V8toytruck
02-03-2010, 12:40 AM
http://www.mag.com/en/mag.html?setRegion=true

Wow..hello Olivia Darby :)

So let me get this straight....massive 256 player maps...vehicles..and you can be commander once you get enough experience? So just like BF2 with way more people?

grammaton76
02-03-2010, 8:04 AM
http://www.mag.com/en/mag.html?setRegion=true

Wow..hello Olivia Darby :)

So let me get this straight....massive 256 player maps...vehicles..and you can be commander once you get enough experience? So just like BF2 with way more people?

Sounds like a fair assessment, yes.

Incidentally, about 10 minutes into the credits you may see a name you recognize from gunwiki articles. Just sayin'... :)

doughboy334
02-26-2010, 6:15 PM
I just got it!
add me PSN: crazyad0boy

Macadelic4
02-26-2010, 9:47 PM
WHY IS THIS NOT OUT FOR PC???!?!

When the makers of MAG decide to cater to REAL gamers, you'll have me on board with you. ;) Looking forward to that day!

ACIDKOOL
02-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey add me ACIDKOOL on SEVR team.

doughboy334
02-27-2010, 4:47 PM
I joined Valor. We always seemed to get creamed, even on freaking defend maps. Bad choice I think :(

grammaton76
03-01-2010, 12:05 PM
WHY IS THIS NOT OUT FOR PC???!?!

When the makers of MAG decide to cater to REAL gamers, you'll have me on board with you. ;) Looking forward to that day!

Good luck with that. It's put out by Zipper Interactive, which is a first-party Sony studio.

Of course, when you decide to get a real gaming system and stop being addicted to spin-180-degrees-in-.25sec mouse gaming, we'll be here for you... ;)

grammaton76
03-01-2010, 12:07 PM
Hey add me ACIDKOOL on SEVR team.

I would, but I found out (after starting the clan) that clans are tied to a faction - so unfortunately the CGN clan is tied to Raven.

Maybe you could start a CGS (CalGuns SEVR) clan?

doughboy334
03-04-2010, 5:47 PM
Any valor bros here? :)

As soon as I can vett out I'll head over to Raven I guess...

Level 23 ATM.

AR u Ready
03-07-2010, 7:30 PM
I started a Valor faction clan. -CALGUNS.NET- [CGN] also

psn: ARuReady

all valor players hit me up!

AR u Ready
03-07-2010, 7:30 PM
I started a Valor faction clan. -CALGUNS.NET- [CGN] also

psn: ARuReady

all valor players hit me up!

woops, froze up, sorry for the double post!