PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever converted a Colt...

RolinThundr
01-26-2010, 9:41 PM
Has anyone ever converted a Colt .22lr M4 Carbine to a centerfire? If so, how did it turn out? Problems?

I have been asked several times if it is possible to convert the rimfire carbine to centerfire. Although in appearance the M4 seems to be true to the AR design, I'm not entirely sure the Colt has the ability to accept different upper receivers. Second, since it is built as a dedicated .22lr rifle, I'm not even sure it could withstand the pressures of a centerfire caliber. In any case, I have been advising those that have asked about converting it not to do so, sighting that it may be unsafe- I'd rather be wrong than hear that someone was injured trying it.

speeedracerr
01-26-2010, 9:48 PM
Has anyone ever converted a Colt .22lr M4 Carbine to a centerfire? If so, how did it turn out? Problems?

I have been asked several times if it is possible to convert the rimfire carbine to centerfire. Although in appearance the M4 seems to be true to the AR design, I'm not entirely sure the Colt has the ability to accept different upper receivers. Second, since it is built as a dedicated .22lr rifle, I'm not even sure it could withstand the pressures of a centerfire caliber. In any case, I have been advising those that have asked about converting it not to do so, sighting that it may be unsafe- I'd rather be wrong than hear that someone was injured trying it.

Converting the Colt Umarex Upper for a authentic 5.56 upper is NOT POSSIBLE. The Licensed COLT M4 Lower is not compatible as its internal are totally different from a standard AR lower Receiver.

Noobert
01-26-2010, 9:55 PM
May be possible-with a lot of milling :shrug:

aplinker
01-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Which part is serialized?

speeedracerr
01-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Which part is serialized?

Lower receiver

Group B
01-27-2010, 1:18 AM
May be possible-with a lot of milling :shrug:

Yeah, but why? They've already been demonstrated to break at the receiver extension, and the replacement receivers aren't even reinforced.

rodent.22
01-27-2010, 3:11 PM
Yeah, but why? They've already been demonstrated to break at the receiver extension, and the replacement receivers aren't even reinforced.basher, that wasn't the question posed by the thread......Do you own one ? I think NOT....