PDA

View Full Version : Unloaded open carry with rifle

Robidouxs
01-26-2010, 8:18 PM
I have seen plenty of videos of individuals UOC with pistols but has anyone recently attempted to do UOC with a rifle? Are there any legalities attached to this?

Purple K
01-26-2010, 8:20 PM
Inquiring minds want to know

MudCamper
01-26-2010, 8:30 PM
I am not aware of anyone doing this, at least in urban areas. But it's perfectly legal.

wkd4496
01-26-2010, 8:42 PM
It's legal, but all the sheeple around here are going to see is a man with an ugly-evil-assault-baby-killing rifle.

CalNRA
01-26-2010, 8:46 PM
barring school zones and prohibited areas, it's legal, but it will cause the inevitable 911 call to upgrade from "man with a gun" to "MAN WITH A GUNZ!!!!"

(and don't do it with a registered AW)

Overall I would wait a while.

Nor-Cal
01-26-2010, 8:47 PM
Intrested as well anyine outhere UOC rifle?

SVPRApps
01-26-2010, 8:53 PM
the police would write you up on other charges. citation/arrest/fines/etc?

not spreading FUD, but i betcha if i waked around casually with an unloaded rifle slung behind my back with no magazine in it, i'd be guaranteed be on the news for something

disturbing the peace? brandishing firearm?

lorax3
01-26-2010, 8:59 PM
There was an interesting exchange between Theseus and Librarian on the application of 626.9 to longguns.

It is clear that they are exempted during transport. Although situations may possibly arise where you are in possession of a longarm during a time that may not be deemed transportation and not exempted from 626.9. This sort of gets into qualified locations and stuff you read in 12026 etc. There is also an interesting foot note in a recent case that perhaps makes 'carry' synonymous with 'transport'

Sorry but I am really drawing a blank here and am too tired to search.

If I find the thread I will update this post.

Besides school zone issues, muzzle control is an issue with long arms. Tight slings should work well in a protest manner, although should you go into a restaurant to sit down you need to be aware of your muzzle at all times. (But you should be doing that anyway.) :)

Liberty1
01-26-2010, 9:15 PM
For those of us wishing to acclimate society with the carry of self defense firearms I would ask that we stick to that which for now is the more common self-defense choice, holstered sidearms (handguns). I say this with diplomacy in mind.

Yes long arm carry is legal (I would recommend use of a sling) and even technically safer legally as 12025 generally doesn't apply.

mswanson223
01-26-2010, 9:19 PM
I wouldnt do it. Save yourself the legal headache.

SJgunguy24
01-26-2010, 9:35 PM
I wouldnt do it. Save yourself the legal headache.

Why I do it on a mt bike.

SJgunguy24
01-26-2010, 9:40 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=233025

The thread was locked months ago but it's a good read.
I started this in the LEO forum because I do carry a rifle sometimes on my bike.
As a matter of fact I ran the CGN booth at the San Jose gun show on Fathers Day weekend. I knew everybody would bring an AR for show and tell, so I brought an AK.

MudCamper
01-26-2010, 9:59 PM
I think it's about time somebody posts that picture of Wes on his scooter.

DedEye
01-26-2010, 10:04 PM
Why I do it on a mt bike.

Your rifle isn't openly carried if it's in a bag.

tombinghamthegreat
01-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Legal to open carry or conceal. just be aware of school zones.

hoffmang
01-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Unloaded rifles can be concealed and unlocked as long as your not in a GFSZ. Guitar case carry is kind of amusing and safer than UOC of a long gun.

-Gene

GrizzlyGuy
01-27-2010, 7:00 AM
There was an interesting exchange between Theseus and Librarian on the application of 626.9 to longguns.

It is clear that they are exempted during transport. Although situations may possibly arise where you are in possession of a longarm during a time that may not be deemed transportation and not exempted from 626.9. This sort of gets into qualified locations and stuff you read in 12026 etc. There is also an interesting foot note in a recent case that perhaps makes 'carry' synonymous with 'transport'

Yes, I remember that, and Librarian's analysis is (IMHO, and I initially argued with him) correct. 626.9 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html) exempts transport of a long gun through a school zone, but does not exempt mere possession. This is what is prohibited:

Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone...

And this is the long gun exemption for transportation (not possession):

This section does not prohibit or limit the otherwise lawful
transportation of any other firearm, other than a pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed on the person...

Interestingly enough, the locked container exemption in 626.9 does not apply to long guns:

When the firearm is an unloaded pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed on the person and is in a locked
container or within the locked trunk of a motor vehicle

So, you would not be able to possess a long gun (vs. transport it) within a school zone even if it is in a locked container, unless you are "within a place of residence or place of business or on private property". For example, you couldn't head over to the city park for a day of sunbathing with your rifle in a locked container next to your lounge chair: you would be possessing rather than transporting. :(

woodey
01-27-2010, 7:31 AM
It is also Legal to Loaded open or concealed carry a long gun in the unincorporated area of the county where you other wise would not be prohibited for shooting.

SVPRApps
01-27-2010, 8:17 AM
Unloaded rifles can be concealed and unlocked as long as your not in a GFSZ. Guitar case carry is kind of amusing and safer than UOC of a long gun.

-Gene

I do carry in a guitar case. First I put my rifle in an innocent looking gun sock, then i put it in a black guitar bag.

madbretbeyondthunderdome
01-27-2010, 8:52 AM
I think it's about time somebody posts that picture of Wes on his scooter. I believe this is the one you are referring to :D
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/madbretbeyondthunderdome/bigpimpin.jpg

WokMaster1
01-27-2010, 8:55 AM
I believe this is the one you are referring to :D
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad199/madbretbeyondthunderdome/bigpimpin.jpg

Possibly a case of the right nut is bigger than his left, no?:D

bodger
01-27-2010, 8:57 AM
If I UOC'd a long gun in Los Angeles I would bet anything I'd be face down on the sidewalk pretty quick.

I would love to sling up my EBR and go shopping at Trader Joe's, but mass exodus of the other patrons would no doubt be the result.

madbretbeyondthunderdome
01-27-2010, 9:41 AM
Possibly a case of the right nut is bigger than his left, no?:DYou might be right. He is kind of sitting sideways on that little scooter, isn't he?

MudCamper
01-27-2010, 9:46 AM
If I UOC'd a long gun in Los Angeles I would bet anything I'd be face down on the sidewalk pretty quick..

I seriously doubt that. That is exactly the same type of comment that people used to say about handgun carry before the UOC movement got going. It was false then, and it is false now.

Call_me_Tom
01-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Folks will call the cops on you, no doubt about it.

We were traveling back from 29 Palms to Camp Pendleton when our bus broke down on the side of the I-10 freeway. So we all got out and sat on the side of the road, and went and bought chow from the local stores while we waited for a new bus to arrive to continue us on our journey.

Well, someone dialed 911 from their cell phone and two CHP cruisers rolled up on us on the freeway. They said that they got a call that guys were running around on the freeway with guns. Because this happens from time to time they already knew the drill. We conversed with them for about 30 minutes about everything else except weapons (beer and women) and then they left.

I found it pretty interesting that someone would call the cops on a platoon of Marines as we obviously had a reason to be armed and sitting next to a broken down truck it would seem even more obvious as to why we were there.

pullnshoot25
01-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I have often thought about doing long gun UOC in my neck of the woods. I think a trip from Costco to Turner's wouldn't be too much of a stretch one day. Can't leave my gun for the mechanic, can I?

bodger
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
I seriously doubt that. That is exactly the same type of comment that people used to say about handgun carry before the UOC movement got going. It was false then, and it is false now.

Only one way to prove if it's false or not. Come on down to LA and strap up that EBR.

professorhard
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
I would OC a long gun but I don't want to get any of my nice ones confiscated. Maybe I'd jus do it with a beater AK er sumthen

adamsreeftank
01-27-2010, 1:26 PM
When people see a well dressed individual with a holstered weapon, many will think they are LEO and ignore it. On the other hand, someone in CA with an AR strapped to their back will probably ruffle a lot more people's feathers. The responding LEOs will probably be a bit more "tense" as well.

MudCamper
01-27-2010, 2:13 PM
Only one way to prove if it's false or not. Come on down to LA and strap up that EBR.

First, I am respecting the stand-down request.

Second, I try at all costs to avoid all of southern California unless absolutely necessary. ;P

bodger
01-27-2010, 4:19 PM
First, I am respecting the stand-down request.

Second, I try at all costs to avoid all of southern California unless absolutely necessary. ;P

Good idea on both counts.:D