PDA

View Full Version : AK47 legal build in california?

cdebari
01-26-2010, 8:03 PM
Hello,
I know that there has to be a certain # of parts made in the USA in order for a california legal build, does anyone know how many? And what all counts?
I know the mag has to be 10 round, I know I need a mag lock, I know it has to be 16''...

Or could someone send me the link to the info on a California legal AK build?

troysland
01-26-2010, 8:04 PM
Get in touch with 69mach1, he'll set you straight.

69Mach1
01-26-2010, 8:05 PM
It's a Federal law, not a CA law.
Max of 10 foreign parts (listed).

69Mach1
01-26-2010, 8:07 PM
16 listed parts in a stamped AKM.

1. Receiver
2. Barrel
3. Front Trunnion
4. Piston
5. Bolt Carrier
6. Bolt
7. Hammer
8. Trigger
9. Disconnector
10. Pistol Grip
11. Butt Stock
12. Handguard (both)
13. Magazine Body
14. Mag Follower
15. Mag Baseplate
16. Muzzle Attachment

Federal 922r regulations.

cdebari
01-26-2010, 8:13 PM
So if my:
Barrel
Receiver
Muzzle Attachment
Magazine Body
Mag Follower
Mag Baseplate

Are all made in the U.S. then I'm fine legally?

And what do you recommend for a magazine lock?
Thanks!

69Mach1
01-26-2010, 8:15 PM
So if my:
Barrel
Receiver
Muzzle Attachment
Magazine Body
Mag Follower
Mag Baseplate

Thanks!

Yes, that limits your AKM build to 10 (listed) foreign made parts.
AK locks:
Radd Lock
Solar Tactical Lock
PRK Lock
Assault Planet Lock

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 9:33 PM
So if my:
Barrel
Receiver
Muzzle Attachment
Magazine Body
Mag Follower
Mag Baseplate

Thanks!
Yes.

Also, the parts kits often include the original select-fire FCG.
A US-made FCG is only about $30 or $40... swap them out and you have 3 more parts... you can then run import magazines if you'd like.

SJgunguy24
01-26-2010, 9:51 PM
Hello,
I know that there has to be a certain # of parts made in the USA in order for a california legal build, does anyone know how many? And what all counts?
I know the mag has to be 10 round, I know I need a mag lock, I know it has to be 16''...

I hope you know the very nanosecond you complete the build.........all puppies and kittens within a 32 mile radius of your location will die.

Josh3239
01-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Understand that if you go that route you will be limiting yourself to mags that only have US bodies, followers and baseplates. Zero foreign mags, bad idea. Your better off getting a USA semi FCG and a USA piston.

So if my:
Barrel
Receiver
Muzzle Attachment
Magazine Body
Mag Follower
Mag Baseplate

Thanks!

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 10:31 PM
Understand that if you go that route you will be limiting yourself to mags that only have US bodies, followers and baseplates. Zero foreign mags, bad idea. Your better off getting a USA semi FCG and a USA piston.
No need for a US piston if he's already got a US barrel. The piston is usually converted because until recently, most kits included the barrels, but that's becoming more rare now.
The 3 FCG parts would make up for the 3 mag parts.

timdps
01-27-2010, 8:32 AM
Don't forget the featureless build options using a grip fin or no pistol grip. This wil allow you to use preban mags.

Tim

welchy
01-27-2010, 5:18 PM
I hope you know the very nanosecond you complete the build.........all puppies and kittens within a 32 mile radius of your location will die.

That is the funniest thing I have read in a long time.:D

nicoroshi
01-27-2010, 6:18 PM
Yes.

Also, the parts kits often include the original select-fire FCG.
A US-made FCG is only about $30 or $40... swap them out and you have 3 more parts... you can then run import magazines if you'd like.

I second this.
I have used American made mags. They (IMHO) don't hold a candle to the imported steel mags. I have also found that my Tapco G2 triggers are light, crisp, and do not have slap. Certainly a worthy investment/ addition to any build for multiple reasons.
I can get 30 round rebuild kits (Chinese) for $13 + shipping. Easy to convert to 10/30s by many different methods. I like the double pop rivet method myself.
My latest. A Yugo milled M70 underfolder re-weld with 10/30 Chinese mag, and home built mag lock (based on the jumbopanda design)
http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/5313/dscn3337j.jpg

Redchevyman
01-27-2010, 6:26 PM
I would use a US trigger set (3 pcs) and US muzzle attachment with your US barrel and receiver. If you need US parts I sell the G2 trigger sets and any other parts you may need on my web site http://www.rcmgunparts.com

CSACANNONEER
01-27-2010, 6:39 PM
Hello,

You're right about needing a 16" barrel for a rifle build. But, I've built featureless guns in which they don't have a mag lock and, I can run my old 75 round drums or my 20&30 round mags. You need really understand all the laws before you start your build. Have you thought about attending a build party? BTW, on a pistol build, you do not need to use any US made parts!

DedEye
01-27-2010, 6:55 PM
I'm feeling lazy, would anyone like to add a 922(r) section toe the FAQ? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ)

SVT-40
01-27-2010, 7:25 PM
Here is a better reference when checking for 922(r) compliance.

http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance