PDA

View Full Version : PPT question

bmac
01-26-2010, 7:05 PM
I could have sworn this was on another thread but i did a search and can't find it so i wanted to ask again to be sure.

it's my understanding that when it comes to PTP's you can have more then the 1 that a dealer would be correct? I want to do 2 PPTs at the same time and wanted to make sure that was going to work.

thanks

sbrady@Michel&Associates
01-26-2010, 7:15 PM
You cannot conduct more than 6 handgun transactions in a calendar year. A "transaction" is the transfer of any number of handguns at one time to one person.

You can only transfer rifles and shotguns "occasionally and without regularity."

(See Penal Cose section 12070(b)(4), (c)(1))

bmac
01-26-2010, 7:22 PM
Umm not sure this really answered my question. My understanding is that unless your in LA which has it's own 1 in 30 law you can do as many PTP's you want and it does not fall into the 1 in 30 law....

ke6guj
01-26-2010, 7:26 PM
I could have sworn this was on another thread but i did a search and can't find it so i wanted to ask again to be sure.

it's my understanding that when it comes to PTP's you can have more then the 1 that a dealer would be correct? I want to do 2 PPTs at the same time and wanted to make sure that was going to work.

thanks

Yes, PPT handgun purchases are exempt from the 1-handgun-a-month limit. With the exception that some cities, like LA, have their own 1-handgun-a-month limit, with no exception for PPTs.

You cannot conduct more than 6 handgun transactions in a calendar year. A "transaction" is the transfer of any number of handguns at one time to one person.

You can only transfer rifles and shotguns "occasionally and without regularity."

(See Penal Cose section 12070(b)(4), (c)(1))That would be "selling" transactions that they are talking about. YOu can purchase as many long guns are you can afford, and 1-handgun-a-month (with certain exemptions to tht limit)

here is the law in question:
12072(a)(9)(A) No person shall make an application to purchase more than one pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person within any 30-day period.
(B) Subparagraph (A) shall not apply to any of the following:
(i) Any law enforcement agency.
(ii) Any agency duly authorized to perform law enforcement duties.
(iii) Any state or local correctional facility.
(iv) Any private security company licensed to do business in California.
(v) Any person who is properly identified as a full-time paid peace officer, as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, and who is authorized to, and does carry a firearm during the course and scope of his or her employment as a peace officer.
(vi) Any motion picture, television, or video production company or entertainment or theatrical company whose production by its nature involves the use of a firearm.
(vii) Any person who may, pursuant to Section 12078, claim an exemption from the waiting period set forth in subdivision (c) of this section.
(viii) Any transaction conducted through a licensed firearms dealer pursuant to Section 12082.
(ix) Any person who is licensed as a collector pursuant to Chapter 44 (commencing with Section 921) of Title 18 of the United States Code and the regulations issued pursuant thereto and who has a current certificate of eligibility issued to him or her by the Department of Justice pursuant to Section 12071.
(x) The exchange of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person where the dealer purchased that firearm from the person seeking the exchange within the 30-day period immediately preceding the date of exchange or replacement.
(xi) The replacement of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person when the person's pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person was lost or stolen, and the person reported that firearm lost or stolen prior to the completion of the application to purchase to any local law enforcement agency of the city, county, or city and county in which he or she resides.
(xii) The return of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person to its owner.
the bolded portion being the PPT exemption.

bmac
01-26-2010, 7:29 PM
that was it thanks so much Jack

samantha