PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tech SU-16A would mod make it illegal?

intensefab
01-26-2010, 2:17 PM
Would adding this stock/grip configuration make my Kel-Tech illegal in Cali? I'm questioning because the SU-16 has detachable mags.

Pistol Grip Collapsable AR Stock Adapter Kit SU-16E-651

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/popup_image.php?pID=235

Thoughts?

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 2:21 PM
Yes.
That would be illegal.

intensefab
01-26-2010, 2:31 PM
Thanks Rich....That's what I thought, nice idea though!

supermario
01-26-2010, 2:37 PM
You can add that stock if you add this very simple bullet button and only use 10rnd mags? here is the bb for sale.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=184839

Dubster
01-26-2010, 2:49 PM
You can add that stock if you add this very simple bullet button and only use 10rnd mags? here is the bb for sale.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=184839

I thought even pre-ban 30 round mags were illegal in a gun that didn't exist pre-ban!?

Dub

ke6guj
01-26-2010, 2:58 PM
I thought even pre-ban 30 round mags were illegal in a gun that didn't exist pre-ban!?

Dub

nope.

the usage of large-capacity magazines is only restricted in centerfre semi-auto rifles that have a fixed mag, and for semi-auto pistols with a fixed mag. All other firearms can use large-capacity magazines as they wish, no matter when they were made.

C_1
01-26-2010, 3:12 PM
When adding that collapsible stock and pistol grip, make sure to install a mag lock first. And dont stick any 20 or 30 rounders in your KelTec after that..

Dubster
01-26-2010, 4:06 PM
nope.

the usage of large-capacity magazines is only restricted in centerfre semi-auto rifles that have a fixed mag, and for semi-auto pistols with a fixed mag. All other firearms can use large-capacity magazines as they wish, no matter when they were made.

So a newly built/acquired AR15 that is featureless can legally be used with pre-ban 30 round mags?

Dub

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 4:33 PM
So a newly built/acquired AR15 that is featureless can legally be used with pre-ban 30 round mags?
Let's toss out the whole "pre-ban/post-ban" terminology. That applied to the Federal AW ban of 1994.

You legally possess high-capacity magazines if you "possessed" them (note, not "owned") inside of California prior to Jan 1 2000.
After Jan 1 2000, it became illegal to sell, lend, gift, import, or manufacture high-capacity magazines.

The reason I say "toss out pre-ban" is it's not an issue of the magazine itself, but of the owner.
If I have a "pre-ban" high-cap, I can't offer it to you.

So, yes... a high-capacity magazine can be used legally in a featureless rifle that does NOT have a bullet button or other maglock installed.
However, if you do not currently own any high-capacity mags, there is no legal route for you to obtain them.

Trendkill
01-26-2010, 4:36 PM
Why is there poster after poster after poster with low post counts asking magazine related questions..??

Are we being monitored..??

gun toting monkeyboy
01-26-2010, 5:10 PM
No, you're not. But could you turn a bit to the left so we can get a better profile shot for our database. It is hard for us to determine who is who when our black helicopters are bouncing along through turbulence...

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 5:10 PM
Why is there poster after poster after poster with low post counts asking magazine related questions..??

Of course we are.

And new posters/low counts are generally the users that don't know the law ;)

Dubster
01-26-2010, 5:16 PM

Is this meant to mean that I should have searched through past posts for the info before asking the question myself?

I'm new to CalGuns and I like what I see here. I'm just trying to learn. I work in a Technical field and I'm just very curious.

If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

Dub

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 5:18 PM
Is this meant to mean that I should have searched through past posts for the info before asking the question myself?

I'm new to CalGuns and I like what I see here. I'm just trying to learn. I work in a Technical field and I'm just very curious.

If I'm doing something wrong please let me know.

You're fine... it's just that we've had a LOT (I mean, multiples almost every day) of new and newer users asking a lot of questions on mag capacity and what's legal, and what the penalties are if they are caught with one.

It's definitely in the top-3 most-often-asked topics.

Trendkill
01-26-2010, 5:48 PM
You're not doing anything wrong , but like cokebottle said...its been often posted lately.

Sorry if I came off cranky.....Im not.

long_action
01-26-2010, 5:59 PM
if I could, I'd like to take this topic back to the original question.....kind of.

Can anyone show me a pic of what this rifle would look like FOLDED with that PG stock? Or does it still fold without the sporter stock?