PDA

View Full Version : Which is the better of AK mags, Tapco or Progmag

supermario
01-26-2010, 3:10 PM
Hello, i have heard conflicting answers on which is better.
I thought Promag AK mags were not good and then i heard the same about
the Tapco AK mags. Does anybody have any experience with one or both?
Which would you reccomend. I am thinking of repairing/rebuilding one of my steel mags with an American made AK mag. Thanks..

Fantasma
01-26-2010, 3:12 PM
I'd say Tapco.

SJgunguy24
01-26-2010, 3:15 PM
Neither, steel surplus all the way.

CSACANNONEER
01-26-2010, 3:17 PM
Which is better, crap or scat? I'd say that it really doesn't make much difference. Both are pure *****.

Zachs300zx
01-26-2010, 3:19 PM
I like Tapco for a US part, but I don't know how long they will hold up. Agree that steel is proven to last.

supermario
01-26-2010, 3:32 PM
I just want to use one for 922 compliant parts for my Saiga. I am not doing the full conversion, I just wanted to add a tapco forend and use USA made mags ONLY for the saiga. Of course add the bullet guide. Until i get some $ for dinzang trigger and battlerifle's saiga furniture.

sd1023x
01-26-2010, 3:56 PM
e5ZzW7BJsZk&feature=related
Nq25sisQyDg&feature=related

C_1
01-26-2010, 4:07 PM
Promags are usually eh.. I guess those videos pretty much sums it up. Steel surplus FTW!

tonelar
01-27-2010, 6:03 PM
Hello, i have heard conflicting answers on which is better.
I thought Promag AK mags were not good and then i heard the same about
the Tapco AK mags...

STOP right there, how is it conflicting if you're hearing they're both CRAP?

Build that rifle right the 1st TIME.

supermario
01-27-2010, 7:32 PM
STOP right there, how is it conflicting if you're hearing they're both CRAP?

Build that rifle right the 1st TIME.

I was getting conflicting opinions before i posted my questions on here:D
Too bad Magpul doesnt make AK mags?

stix213
01-27-2010, 7:40 PM
I just want to use one for 922 compliant parts for my Saiga. I am not doing the full conversion, I just wanted to add a tapco forend and use USA made mags ONLY for the saiga. Of course add the bullet guide. Until i get some $ for dinzang trigger and battlerifle's saiga furniture.

If you just use US made Surefire Saiga mags you will get 3 compliance parts, plus you won't have to do any modifications to your rifle for them to work. I just don't really see the point of doing the bullet guide work without using steel surplus mags. Surefire Saiga mags are awesome in my opinion. Even the 10/30 I made from a Surefire 30 round rebuild kit has never had a problem.

Quiet
01-27-2010, 8:00 PM
Tapco and Pro-Mag make less than reliable AK magazines.

TangoDown/US PALM is making a polymer/steel AK magazine and is getting good reviews from Suarez International (http://www.suarezinternationalstore.com/).
It has a stainless steel cage that re-enforces the feed lips and locking lugs of the polymer magazine.