PDA

View Full Version : son of a "b"... and in the same day...

SKSer
01-26-2010, 1:28 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/01/26/new.jersey.weapons.arrest/index.html

CNN) -- A man was arrested Monday after police found an arsenal of high-powered weapons and a map of a U.S. military base in his New Jersey hotel, authorities said.

Lloyd R. Woodson, 43, was arrested and faces multiple weapons charges after an investigation into his suspicious behavior at a store in Branchburg, New Jersey, said local prosecutor Wayne J. Forrest.

Woodson, wearing a military jacket, went to a store called Quick Chek on Monday afternoon and was acting suspiciously, Forrest said in a statement. The clerk called authorities.

When officers arrived, Woodson ran into the woods. He was subdued after wrestling with officers, the statement said.

During the struggle, officers noticed that Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying an assault rifle in his coat.

Officers searched Woodson's hotel room and found another assault rifle, a grenade launcher, a police scanner, another bulletproof vest, a map of a U.S. military base, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and a Middle Eastern-style headdress, the statement said.

THE ONLY GOOD PART OF THIS STORY IS THAT IT WASNT IN CALI

Hopi
01-26-2010, 1:33 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but the good part is that they got to him before anything bad happened.

bigcalidave
01-26-2010, 1:42 PM
DUPE !!!

Yay, I got one.

:dupe::dupe::dupe:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263379

SKSer
01-26-2010, 1:42 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but the good part is that they got to him before anything bad happened.

absolutely correct :kest:

bigcalidave
01-26-2010, 1:43 PM
Oh and GREAT job reading the article guys. He had a 37 mm cobray flare launcher, a bushmaster with a .50 upper of some kind, and a .308. That was his "weapons cache"

bruss01
01-26-2010, 3:11 PM
My paranoia must be working overtime, my first thought is that he is one of those "MK ULTRA" mind-controlled people being set up to be the next "patsy" the way Oswald and then Sirhan were in order to get the 1968 GCA passed. God only knows what they're trying to ram through this time.

This guy had some bad mojo planned. Glad he didn't get a chance to set the wheels in motion. somebody done good.

Hopi
01-26-2010, 3:14 PM
Oh and GREAT job reading the article guys. He had a 37 mm cobray flare launcher, a bushmaster with a .50 upper of some kind, and a .308. That was his "weapons cache"

To whom is this nonsense directed? Seeing as it was only I and the OP whom had posted before you.....wth are you talking about?

bigcalidave
01-26-2010, 3:32 PM
Yes, that would be to the OP and you. What's the nonsense? Making assumptions about his intentions? Believing the hype from the MSM? I flashed across the story on CNN earlier, they were freaking out about his assault weapons and grenade launcher! ZOMG !!!

Hopi
01-26-2010, 3:37 PM
Yes, that would be to the OP and you. What's the nonsense? Making assumptions about his intentions? Believing the hype from the MSM? I flashed across the story on CNN earlier, they were freaking out about his assault weapons and grenade launcher! ZOMG !!!

:rolleyes:

Maybe you missed this part

When officers arrived, Woodson ran into the woods. He was subdued after wrestling with officers, the statement said.

During the struggle, officers noticed that Woodson was wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying an assault rifle in his coat.

Ya, sounds like he was all ready to start selling Girl Scout cookies...

Stop being silly. I don't need any help from you with my reading ability.

bigcalidave
01-26-2010, 3:45 PM
Man carrying gun? Remember when that used to be ok? The one they say he was carrying is the .50 cal rifle. That is a really unusual weapon for someone to carry around, especially a criminal. So I'm not making assumptions either way.

dantodd
01-26-2010, 4:14 PM
Man carrying gun? Remember when that used to be ok? The one they say he was carrying is the .50 cal rifle. That is a really unusual weapon for someone to carry around, especially a criminal. So I'm not making assumptions either way.

Good thing you aren't a cop. If that idiot was roaming around my neighborhood with a .50 cal hidden in his coat and wearing body armor I'd like to think the local police would try to have a consensual interaction and if he rabbited when they approached I hope they'd remove him from the neighborhood.

demnogis
01-26-2010, 4:33 PM
Obviously these common sense gun control laws work in CA. I mean, its not like this guy was a convicted felon or disqualified from owning or possessing firearms...

I agree though, it is very good he was caught before anything bad could be done.

blacksheep
01-26-2010, 4:34 PM
Good thing you aren't a cop. If that idiot was roaming around my neighborhood with a .50 cal hidden in his coat and wearing body armor I'd like to think the local police would try to have a consensual interaction and if he rabbited when they approached I hope they'd remove him from the neighborhood.

Really a .50 in his coat ? sounds like B.S to me.:eek:

dantodd
01-26-2010, 4:45 PM
Really a .50 in his coat ? sounds like B.S to me.:eek:

bigcalidave is the one who made that claim. To me it doesn't matter if it was .223, 5.56 .308 or .50 cal. if you're skulking around looking suspicious enough for the convenience store clerk to call the cops and then you bolt when they show up you're getting questions asked. If you're also wearing body armor and have a hidden rifle of any sort you should be spending some time where everyone else is safe from you.

Meplat
01-26-2010, 7:16 PM
I have not seen anything that should be illegal so far. But it is interesting that they say he had "middle eastern headdress" but there is no link to terrorism.:rolleyes:

kcbrown
01-26-2010, 8:16 PM
bigcalidave is the one who made that claim. To me it doesn't matter if it was .223, 5.56 .308 or .50 cal. if you're skulking around looking suspicious enough for the convenience store clerk to call the cops and then you bolt when they show up you're getting questions asked. If you're also wearing body armor and have a hidden rifle of any sort you should be spending some time where everyone else is safe from you.

Do I hear an argument in favor of open carry here? :D

dantodd
01-26-2010, 8:25 PM
Do I hear an argument in favor of open carry here? :D

I do not know the laws re: OC in New Jersey though I suspect they are not much better than here. I think you'll find few people on this board who oppose the legalization of OC in California. You will find vast differences in opinions in how and when this will be or should be pursued.

I am of two minds. I understand CGF's request to hold off until post-incorporation but, as I've stated before, I don't believe that incorporation would have prevented the legislature from passing a law completely outlawing OC in urban areas. To that end I could see no logical time for CGF to call off the stand down on UOC. It always seemed to me that the real reason for the requested stand down on UOC was not to protect the right for a later date when it could be challenged more easily but was really a LUCC protection plan for those who chose LUCC in place of UOC. This makes the post-incorporation time line more logical as CCW is very likely to become shall-issue shortly after incorporation and the LUCCers would just convert to CCW.

TKM
01-26-2010, 8:27 PM
No reason to believe it was 50BMG. The MSM isn't good with gun details.

I doubt he was trick or treating. Good police work.

Seesm
01-26-2010, 11:05 PM
I think we do not have anough info to make assumptions in regards to this here. But having said that it does look like he had some bad ideas in his head. Maybe someone was after him and the vest was for protection and he was moving with all his weapons and wanted to be NEAR a military base with his new place of residence...? I am just saying it's possible. :)

kcbrown
01-26-2010, 11:33 PM
I do not know the laws re: OC in New Jersey though I suspect they are not much better than here. I think you'll find few people on this board who oppose the legalization of OC in California. You will find vast differences in opinions in how and when this will be or should be pursued.

I am of two minds. I understand CGF's request to hold off until post-incorporation but, as I've stated before, I don't believe that incorporation would have prevented the legislature from passing a law completely outlawing OC in urban areas. To that end I could see no logical time for CGF to call off the stand down on UOC. It always seemed to me that the real reason for the requested stand down on UOC was not to protect the right for a later date when it could be challenged more easily but was really a LUCC protection plan for those who chose LUCC in place of UOC. This makes the post-incorporation time line more logical as CCW is very likely to become shall-issue shortly after incorporation and the LUCCers would just convert to CCW.

Well, what I found interesting was that you found it objectionable that he was wearing a vest and concealing a rifle.

Would it have been equally objectionable if he had been wearing a vest and concealing a pistol? If not, why not? That is, if you wouldn't find wearing a vest and concealing a pistol to be equally objectionable then why the difference in treatment between a pistol and a rifle, except for the fact that a pistol is easier to conceal?

dantodd
01-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Well, what I found interesting was that you found it objectionable that he was wearing a vest and concealing a rifle.

I do not particularly find it objectionable to be carrying a rifle and wearing a vest. Though it is, in and of itself, unusual behavior I don't think it is objectionable. Skulking around a convenience store to the point of being a concern to their employees (even though the employees knew nothing of the gun or the vest) is a concern. Running when the cops show up is a greater concern. Physically resisting the officers is a felony in itself. All of these things together add up to a potential bad guy who, in my mind warrants a visit downtown and investigating what is going on.

In this case that investigation turned up violations of firearms laws.

I find it bizarre that you don't think a police officer should not investigate such a situation.

bigcalidave
01-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Skulking around a convenience store? It's hard to walk normal with an AR / .50 under your jacket!
Look, I'm sure he's not a great guy, but people are quick to jump on him for doing what we wish was legal, and really IS legal here. Concealed rifle (assumed unloaded) can't be concealed. Body armor? no problem...

The problem is that the media immediately said ZOMG weapons cache !! middle eastern headdress!! a modified bushmaster with .50 caliber!! OMG NOES!!! GRENADE LAUNCHER!!!

Except, he had two rifles and a flare launcher. And a little ammo.. And (i hope not lol) a shemagh.

I don't want to be the one who sounds like a hypocrite talking smack about a guy with a rifle and body armor when I honestly believe that the cops shouldn't roll on you JUST for that. Good thing I'm not an LEO, I agree. I'd be PISSED OFF at the **** they told me to do.

dantodd
01-27-2010, 12:18 AM
Skulking around a convenience store? It's hard to walk normal with an AR / .50 under your jacket!
Look, I'm sure he's not a great guy, but people are quick to jump on him for doing what we wish was legal, and really IS legal here. Concealed rifle (assumed unloaded) can't be concealed. Body armor? no problem...

Nobody said it is or should be illegal to carry a weapon or wear body armor.

bigcalidave
01-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Ok...

kcbrown
01-27-2010, 4:06 AM
I do not particularly find it objectionable to be carrying a rifle and wearing a vest. Though it is, in and of itself, unusual behavior I don't think it is objectionable.

Okay. That's not the impression I got when you said:

If you're also wearing body armor and have a hidden rifle of any sort you should be spending some time where everyone else is safe from you.

But I see the "also" is rather crucial there, and I read what you said as if you didn't say "also". Sorry. :o

I'm in complete agreement with you with respect to the rest of his behavior, and that a police officer should investigate. His behavior and actions were suspicious independent of his firearms and vest, IMO.