PDA

View Full Version : Is this an adjustable stock or a folding/telescoping stock?

jrr
01-26-2010, 11:02 AM
So, like the thread says... is this a "telescoping" stock, or is it merely adjustable? Anybody have any hard facts/code sections stating what exactly a telescoping stock is?
Thanks guys!
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=49809/sku/AR_15_M16_Adjustable_Buttstock

Bug Splat
01-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Its "adjustable" not a "tele"

djleisure
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Wow - that's taking "robot leg" to a whole new level! And yeah, I'd go with "adjustable" as well...

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100002917_1.jpg

swerv512
01-26-2010, 1:07 PM
It's all symantics... It is definitely not a folding or telescopic, but it does have the ability to adjust for user-comfort.
Plus, the ad says adjustable in the name- so i'll go with what the ad says....

My375hp302
01-26-2010, 1:38 PM
Um, it "adjusts" by telescoping in and out to the desired length. True it's not as easy to use as a M-4 stock because it looks like you have to looses allens to get it to move but really the only difference is the locking mechanism, not the action. I'm all for pushing the line but just imagine yourself on trial before a jury and the prosecuter slides that butt stock in and out, what will THEY think?

C_1
01-26-2010, 2:14 PM
I would say that its an adjustable stock, and not collapsible. But like my357hp302 said,

..just imagine yourself on trial before a jury and the prosecuter slides that butt stock in and out..

Thats if you're using it on a featureless build. If its a BB, or mag locked rifle, then you should be good.

But why would you want to spend $250 on that thing? Why not just get the Magpul PRS stock?

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 2:29 PM
Thats if you're using it on a featureless build. If its a BB, or mag locked rifle, then you should be good.

But why would you want to spend $250 on that thing? Why not just get the Magpul PRS stock?
I think that's the whole point of the thread... to be able to get some kind of adjustable stock onto a featureless.

Personally, I would NOT run that on a featureless build.
The BB's acceptable "tools" was on shaky ground when first introduced, and has since been solidified. This stock requiring a tool to adjust would be a similar situation... except like the original P50, once the screws are loosened, it certainly is "telescoping" and adjustable without the use of a tool... you just can't lock it down without a tool.

swerv512
01-26-2010, 2:38 PM
Um, it "adjusts" by telescoping in and out to the desired length.

it doesnt look like it "telescopes in" on itself. i thought that the assembly that connects the buttstock to the buffer tube simply slides back and forth allowing adjustment that way. i could be wrong- i never shot one....

swerv512
01-26-2010, 2:40 PM
i figure this stock is no different from adding addition buttstock spacers to a hunting style rifle....

C_1
01-26-2010, 2:42 PM
The OP never stated why he was considering this stock, so I assumed. I wouldn't put it on a featureless rifle either. A lot like the Magpul AFG.

But for $250, I think there are some better options out there. The Magpul PRS is one. Maybe the Sully stock and extension. Or the RAA Entry with extensions. Or an adjustable stock thats been pinned.

djleisure
01-26-2010, 2:43 PM
it doesnt look like it "telescopes in" on itself. i thought that the assembly that connects the buttstock to the buffer tube simply slides back and forth allowing adjustment that way. i could be wrong- i never shot one....

Agreed! The definition of telescoping: Telescoping in mechanics describes the movement of one part sliding out from another, lengthening an object (such as a telescope or the lift arm of an aerial work platform) from its rest state.

I would be comfortable arguing that this is NOT a telescoping stock, just an adjustable one... but that's just me and it's currently not a choice/issue with me...

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 3:16 PM
Agreed! The definition of telescoping: Telescoping in mechanics describes the movement of one part sliding out from another, lengthening an object (such as a telescope or the lift arm of an aerial work platform) from its rest state.

I would be comfortable arguing that this is NOT a telescoping stock, just an adjustable one... but that's just me and it's currently not a choice/issue with me...
Except keep in mind that "legislative intent" often comes into play in court.

Handguards are AW features on pistols... and the legislature thinks that a handguard is "that shoulder thing that goes up". :rolleyes:

It's not a stretch to imagine a DA arguing and persuading a jury that an "adjustable" buttstock = "telescoping" buttstock through legislative intent.