PDA

View Full Version : Man shoots prowlers in Oxnard

SKSer
01-26-2010, 9:27 AM
If this is a dupe, Im sorry. I just heard about it on the radio.

http://www.fresnobee.com/384/story/1796795.html

OXNARD, Calif. -- Police say a man opened fire on two prowlers who broke into his Oxnard home, striking one of them multiple times.

Police say the man called 911 after seeing two prowlers in his backyard Monday morning. Before police arrived, the intruders had forced open a locked door leading into the home. The man said he opened fire with a handgun when they ran toward him. Both intruders then ran out of the house.

Police say a 31-year-old man was found lying in the driveway with multiple gunshot wounds. He was taken to a hospital where he was listed in stable condition. Police say the second intruder, who reportedly also had been shot, was seen running from the neigborhood and remains at large.

Had to put the most important aspect of the story in bold.

wellerjohn
01-26-2010, 9:31 AM
Nice

Glock22Fan
01-26-2010, 9:36 AM
I'm glad he called 911 before he shot them. That, although not essential, will definitely help him.

sniper5
01-26-2010, 9:43 AM
Forced entry into an occupied dwelling? I don't think he'll need much help with that one.

Soldier415
01-26-2010, 9:51 AM
Watch, he is going to be sued by the suspects, and they will most likely win.

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 9:53 AM
Criminals are so stupid. If you are going to commit a home invasion robbery why don't you attack during the day while everyone is at work...

OlderThanDirt
01-26-2010, 10:01 AM
Its a common tactic in Oxnard. Knock at the front door; if no answer proceed to garage side door; break into garage and then into house. Police in Oxnard recommend not answering the door to someone you don't know, but also making it clear that you are home. It sounds like this guy just ignored the dirtbags at the front door, making them think there was nobody home.

A majority of newer homes in Oxnard have a very similar design that dirtbags have been using for years. People frequently don't lock the door between the garage and house, and often don't lock, or forget to lock the garage side door. We had one house a few streets away where burglars got into the garage through the unlocked garage door and then took their time cutting around the lock on the door between the garage and house. We have also had people come through at night checking all the garage doors and stealing things from garages where these doors were not locked.

OlderThanDirt
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Criminals are so stupid. If you are going to commit a home invasion robbery why don't you attack during the day while everyone is at work...

I think it was 11:00 AM. I'll get the scoop tonight...

Glock22Fan
01-26-2010, 10:23 AM

In England, home invasions have increased enormously (knowing the householders are unarmed.) They do it when people ARE at home because that way they don't have to search too hard, and can get hold of safe keys or combinations. There was a case a couple of years back: they tied a three year old girl to the banisters and threatened to beat her with a club until Daddy opened the safe and Mummy (English spelling) retrieved other valuables from their storage spaces, found their debit cards and wrote down the pin numbers. Guess how long it took Mummy and Daddy to make up their minds to cooperate?

choprzrul
01-26-2010, 10:36 AM
I think that it is nice of them to knock on the front door first. It gives the occupant plenty of time to call 9-11, arm themselves, lock side doors, pick a defensive position, and prepare for the forced entry. I'm thinking that 12ga slugs/buckshot combination would work wonderfully in this situation. It would help the police in having to find the second burglar.

What nice burglars you have in Oxnard.

Bizcuits
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM

Tom,

Most do.

Casual_Shooter
01-26-2010, 10:38 AM
BG's found outside the home...

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

Californio
01-26-2010, 10:46 AM
http://www.vcstar.com/news/2010/jan/25/oxnard-police-investigating-shooting/
From the local paper

http://www.oxnardpd.org/pressreleases...
OXNARD POLICE DEPARTMENT
PRESS RELEASE
INCIDENT: Burglary 
DATE/TIME: 01/25/2010 11:00 am 
VICTIM(S): Name With-held 
SUSPECT(S): 31 year old Asian Male, Resident of Los Angeles County 
PREPARED BY: Sergeant Jim Seitz, Major Crimes Supervisor 
CONTACT PERSON &
CONTACT INFO:
DETAILS:
On 1/25/2010, Officers from the Oxnard Police Department responded to a call of possible prowlers at a residence in the 1200 block of Martin Luther King Dr. Upon the officer’s arrival, they located a subject lying on the side of the residence suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. It was later determined that this subject along with a second unidentified male were attempting to break into the residence when he was shot by the resident.
Investigators were told that the resident was inside of his house when the doorbell rang. The resident did not answer the door. A short time later, the resident heard noises on the side of his house. Upon looking out the window, he noticed two subjects who had entered his rear yard somehow, bypassing a locked gate. The resident immediately called 911 as he did not know the subjects. The resident armed himself with a handgun and waited for the police to arrive.
A few seconds later, the resident heard a side garage door being forced open. As the door opened, a residential alarm was set off and the resident thought the alarm would scare the subjects away. As the resident was waiting in the living room, a second locked door leading from the garage to the interior of the house was forced open and the subjects began to charge at the resident. The resident fired his gun at the subjects who in turn ran from the house. On suspect collapsed at the scene and was transported to a local hospital where he underwent surgery. He is listed in stable condition. The second subject was last seen running from the area. That subject is described as an Asian male, 20s, 5”8”, 120 lbs.

OlderThanDirt
01-26-2010, 10:51 AM
MLK Drive is only a few blocks north of Oxnard's gang infested La Colonia neighborhood. Who would have thunk that the suspects would have been Asians. The La Colonia Chiques are going to be upset that someone has moved into their territory.

SikDMAX
01-26-2010, 10:59 AM
GREAT SHOOT!

choprzrul
01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm thinking that this is a prime opportunity for those who offer defensive handgun courses in the area to take out some ad space in the local newspaper. I say arm the citizenry and this type of thing will quickly cease to happen. We will soon run out of burglars, or at least the dumb ones.

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Tom,

Most do.
...that's why I keep a 75lbs AmStaff at the house while I'm not home. If an intruder gets past him I have a 6-1/2lbs Chihuahua ready to rip some ankles apart.

Turo
01-26-2010, 11:32 AM
I thought they stopped being prowlers when they broke into the house, or is it more common to continue to refer to them as "prowlers?" When I read the title of the thread, I thought, "Oh crap, some guy is gonna go to jail for shooting someone on his front lawn." I guess it's all semantics, but I think some specificity would help here.

Asmodai
01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I love stories with happy endings!

Glock22Fan
01-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Forced entry into an occupied dwelling? I don't think he'll need much help with that one.

I don't think so either. But being squeaky clean is somehow better than just being clean, don'cha think?

If ever I am involved in such a shooting (and I hope that's never), I will be looking for every thread I can find in case I get a D.A. who tries to do an end run around 198.5. Calling 911 first indicates that you have no wish to be a vigilante, you hoped to bypass needing to use your firearm and you did all that was necessary to involve the authorities.

Meplat
01-26-2010, 12:22 PM
What????? How can you rob someone who is not there? Criminals are so stupid. If you are going to commit a home invasion robbery why don't you attack during the day while everyone is at work...

dantodd
01-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I'd hate to be shot in the OxNads.

Aldemar
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Its a common tactic in Oxnard. Knock at the front door; if no answer proceed to garage side door; break into garage and then into house. Police in Oxnard recommend not answering the door to someone you don't know, but also making it clear that you are home. It sounds like this guy just ignored the dirtbags at the front door, making them think there was nobody home.

A majority of newer homes in Oxnard have a very similar design that dirtbags have been using for years. People frequently don't lock the door between the garage and house, and often don't lock, or forget to lock the garage side door. We had one house a few streets away where burglars got into the garage through the unlocked garage door and then took their time cutting around the lock on the door between the garage and house. We have also had people come through at night checking all the garage doors and stealing things from garages where these doors were not locked.

Too bad both guys weren't knocked down.

Hope the poor would be robbers weren't 'baited' into doing wrong by the guy not answering the door:eek: Seriously, if the Ventura County DA elects to prosecute the homeowner, he needs to be removed from office asap. As far as a civil suit, anything is possible.

My daughter bought a condo in the Oxnard area last year. My housewarming gift to her was one of my 1911's and yes she knows how and when to use it. We also gave her one of our dogs as a first warning.

SexualChocolate
01-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I love stories with happy endings!

A happier ending would be both of the SOB's in a Ziploc bag.

SKSer
01-26-2010, 1:20 PM
It would be really cool if we could have a sub forum with stories of calgunners experiences, as well as news articles of this nature. It would be great ammunition for the anti gunners. I have about 3 stories personally, where I know people were saved by guns. Of those three, exactly ZERO made the news.

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 1:25 PM
What????? How can you rob someone who is not there?
There's more money to be had from robbing a house then the occupants. But nice play on words...

dantodd
01-26-2010, 2:18 PM
There's more money to be had from robbing a house then the occupants. But nice play on words...

It doesn't appear to me to be a play on words. I think he was pointing out that one burgles a home and robs a person.

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 2:27 PM
It doesn't appear to me to be a play on words. I think he was pointing out that one burgles a home and robs a person.
How ever you'd like to spin it is fine with me. The point was made and everyone understood the meaning. If you'd like to discuss it further you can post here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263006

P.W.
01-26-2010, 2:36 PM
Lets just hope everything goes well for the Home owner and no civil suits are filed against him. Too many Self Defense/Home Burglary shoots end with the homeowner being sued for doing the right thing.

OlderThanDirt
01-26-2010, 2:45 PM
Too bad both guys weren't knocked down.

Hope the poor would be robbers weren't 'baited' into doing wrong by the guy not answering the door:eek: Seriously, if the Ventura County DA elects to prosecute the homeowner, he needs to be removed from office asap. As far as a civil suit, anything is possible.

My daughter bought a condo in the Oxnard area last year. My housewarming gift to her was one of my 1911's and yes she knows how and when to use it. We also gave her one of our dogs as a first warning.

I would be shocked if the Ventura County DA prosecuted the homeowner unless there is something about the homeowner that has not been disclosed (e.g., prohibited person). There is no legal obligation to answer your front door, and I rarely do myself.

dantodd
01-26-2010, 3:04 PM
How ever you'd like to spin it is fine with me. The point was made and everyone understood the meaning. If you'd like to discuss it further you can post here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263006

I assume you take the same non-distinction approach between semi-auto and full auto weapons? Or between magazines and clips? Words have meaning, this is especially true when laws are involved.

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 3:20 PM
I assume you take the same non-distinction approach between semi-auto and full auto weapons? Or between magazines and clips? Words have meaning, this is especially true when laws are involved.
Wow, are you really that wrapped up in the use of "home invasion robbery"...?

I provided you with the link, why don't you rant on that thread?

CnCFunFactory
01-26-2010, 5:58 PM
yes it's a dupe I beat you by 7 hours LOL :D Not that I care either way because I love stories about scumbags getting what they deserve. In this case I feel the marksmanship or the caliber under delivered. :(

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=263273