PDA

View Full Version : Transferring 1911 to relative in the service

popeye4
01-26-2010, 8:25 AM
My nephew is about to be deployed to Afghanistan and I'd like to "loan" my 1911 to him (he'd love to have it). He's currently stationed in Indiana, about to deploy in the next few weeks. Do I need to go through the usual channels to make this transfer (ship to FFL in Indiana, have him pick it up), or are there different rules for sending a pistol to someone on active duty?

He says it's easy to get it out of the country, might be a bit tricky getting it back in, but if it keeps his butt out of trouble it is a small sacrifice on my part. Kimber and others will make more.....

A side question for any one who's been there: he's a grunt private; will an officer confiscate the pistol for his own use once they get over there?

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 8:40 AM
-If he is caught with it, it will be his ***.
-At such a junior rank only specific jobs will rate to carry a pistol.
-A 1911 is too obvious to be carrying around by a Pvt and anyone of higher rank can confiscate it.
-He will be repeatedly searched before he returns to the States along with any mail he sends back.
-If he shoots anyone with unauthorized rounds he could be charged with a war crime (extreme yes, but still plausible).

DON'T BRING/SEND IT!

xrMike
01-26-2010, 8:52 AM
From everything I've heard, he will not be allowed to have/keep/use your 1911 as a duty weapon. And if he's caught with it, it's major trouble for him.

popeye4
01-26-2010, 9:12 AM
Thanks for the heads-up. I want to help him out, but I don't want to donate my 1911 to some ***** who outranks him..... (and it sounds like just about everyone will outrank him). Also don't want to get his butt in trouble.

He also carries a SAW, so he isn't exactly under-dressed.....

Call_me_Tom
01-26-2010, 9:43 AM
I was a SAW Gunner for 2 years and that weapon packs plenty of punch. I hated cleaning it though, seems to be a carbon magnet. If he was a Machine Gunner (M60/M240/M2) I can see him needing a pistol but the SAW can swing easily to cover his lateral approaches.

dwa
01-26-2010, 11:29 AM
If he brings a personal weapon into theater he will get at a minimum a company grade article 15, it could be much worse, either way he will lose the pistol, not because some "officer" is trying to steal it but because it is not allowed. If he brings the pistol even on the bird the same will happen, if hes under the impression he can do this he is asking for a rank reduction.

ChrisO
01-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Illegal and stupid.