PDA

View Full Version : CAA pistol grip kit vs Maid Magpul pistol grip kit

epic4444
01-26-2010, 1:00 AM
Hello, im looking into getting a CAA pistol grip kit for my AR-15, on my other AR i have a magpul Maid kit, i like it but dont love it, does anyone have experience with both? I'd like to hear some comparision or just your thoughts on the CAA kit. Thanks

btw here the CAA kit so everyone knows which one im talking about

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=155&cID=11

Tragic Image
01-26-2010, 1:03 AM
Had the UPG-16, and LOVED IT... Sold that AR.

went with the MIAD on this one... not happy with my choice, and some day I'll change it... but for now it stays

PaperPuncher
01-26-2010, 7:00 AM
I have one of each on two different rifles. I can't honestly say that I like one better than the other. Each has its pros and cons but at the end of the day I say they score the same in my book.

CAA grip is great for comfort/ergonomics. It will adapt to just about any size hand. The finger grooves are a bit of an advantage over the MAID IMHO. I have fairly large hands and the CAA fits them better than any others I have tried. The grip storage cap is not very secure in my opinion and I don't think I would use it to store a critical back-up piece. Maybe some cheap batteries.

The Magpul IMHO looks a hell of a lot better. Seems/appears to be a more compact package while still feeling comfortable in my large hands. (No, I am not talking dirty) The MAID is also adaptable to different hand sizes which is a nice feature. THe grip storage is way better on this one and you can even get different grip caps that accommodate different items such as an extra bolt, firing pin, bullet, etc.

The CAA is on a HD/Carbine class/mall ninja rifle. Tried both grips on this one and for maneuverability and comfort in different shooting positions the CAA won the role.

I use the MAID on a precision rifle where I am usually sitting down, on one knee or prone. Didn't need any fancy ergo options for this purpose and I found that the MAID offered me a more consistent and perpendicular grip on the rifle which I feel has improved my trigger mechanics. Not really a function of the grip more so that it is really only comfortable for me holding it in one specific position. This is a good thing IMO.

I wish both or either had some sort of soft rubber option like a Houge but not sure if this would be suitable for my precision rifle. It would a nice to have after/during a long day at the range though.

Klarus Lights USA
01-26-2010, 8:54 AM
I like the CAA grip better but you cant go wrong with magpul. See if you can find someone at the range or a gun store that has both so you can try them out.

PaperPuncher
01-26-2010, 9:32 AM
I like the CAA grip better but you cant go wrong with magpul. See if you can find someone at the range or a gun store that has both so you can try them out.

It looks like the OP is from Concord. I regularly shoot at Chabot. I may be there this Sunday around 9:30-10 am until I run out money or ammo (contingent on changing a timing belt on Saturday, well finishing it without breaking the crank bolt :) ). I will bring an upper and both lowers if you want to try out both grips.

PM me if interested.

C_1
01-26-2010, 2:30 PM
Its really based on preference, and the size of your hand is a major factor in choosing the right grip. You cant tell until you have held them both.

I like the old skool A1 grip, TangoDown Battle Grip, and Magpul MIAD. A lot of other people seem to like the Magpul grips; I guess the koolaide tastes good. A buddy of mine dont like the Magpul MIAD or MOE, but loves his CAA.

telcolineman
01-26-2010, 2:50 PM
I like the MIAD and have used the hogue as well, Never used the CAA. Hogue's are comfortable and the miad is good for storage, Just personal preference I guess

razorduc
01-26-2010, 3:22 PM
I only have the CAA UPG16. I love it and have it on both of my AR's. It's a comfortable grip. My friend has the rhino skin soft grip from ???, but I like the CAA much better.

Their customer service is also pretty good. I lost the pins that hold the inserts in place and they sent me 3 pairs of new ones at no cost (keep in mind they are just plastic pins). But it was a nice gesture.

OutlawDon
01-28-2010, 2:20 PM
I'm about to get the UPG16 myself.

Currently have the TangoDown Battlegrip but it's just way too thin and hard. My hand size is medium but my trigger finger is wrapped around the trigger way too much. I've also had the MIAD in the past. Nice setup but again, still too thin for me and plus, material is too hard. Also had the Ergo Tactical grip with the pal shelf. Now that's a comfy grip but too large for my M4 AR. Drinking the koolaid is great but sometimes you have to forget the name brand and go with what's comfortable and fits your needs. The UPG16 with its interchangeable inserts and softer material looks like a good match for an actual human hand.

bohoki
01-28-2010, 2:54 PM
if you want the caa get it soon cause i think they are done

i'm kinda bummed i never got to see a countdown mag

OutlawDon
01-28-2010, 4:39 PM
if you want the caa get it soon cause i think they are done

i'm kinda bummed i never got to see a countdown mag

What do you mean they are done??

DarkHorse
01-28-2010, 6:16 PM
CAA appears to be going out of business, or was bought out, etc.

I have noticed on a couple of sites that many of their products are discontinued, and anything in stock is on clearance.

I haven't seen any concrete news to support this, but it's something I haved noticed.

turbochris
01-28-2010, 6:18 PM
the caa is very comfy. I have tried it on a friends rifle and regret getting the miad.

norcal-ar
01-28-2010, 6:49 PM
hogue!! it looks clean and feels great!

fcr
01-28-2010, 6:58 PM
Have both, CAA is very comfortable for my hands. As was said the storage cap is weird. I just gave an extra CAA to a friend due to his large hands also. I am throwing a Hogue overmold on my MIAD to see if it tacky's it up a bit. Have that on a P6 SIG and it makes the grip perfect for me.