PDA

View Full Version : Can I buy a long gun while on vacation in oklahoma?

saberforge
01-26-2010, 12:48 AM
Hey random question.

I am going to be going on vacation in Oklahoma coming up and was thinking about picking up a gun, and bringing it back with me.

Does anyone know if a California resident can walk into a gun store in Ok and buy a gun?

Or do you have to be a resident of that state.

Because theirs a giant gun show coming up in April I was thinking about going to, but if I can't buy anything then forget it.

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Yes and no.

To bring it back to California, it has to go through an FFL.
You can buy it and have the FFL ship it to your local FFL where you pay the transfer fee and run the DROS.

You can't, as a California resident, buy a gun OTC in another state without being a resident of that state.

saberforge
01-26-2010, 12:53 AM
So, could I buy it out of state, then ship it my FFL back here myself?

Because i wanted to go to the big gun show in tulsa and pick up some stuff. But I don't have any problem shipping it myself from Ok to my FFL back here.

Or do I have to find an FFL over there to ship it back, because I don't know how that would work at a gun show

Mssr. Eleganté
01-26-2010, 1:02 AM
So, could I buy it out of state, then ship it my FFL back here myself?

Because i wanted to go to the big gun show in tulsa and pick up some stuff. But I don't have any problem shipping it myself from Ok to my FFL back here.

Or do I have to find an FFL over there to ship it back, because I don't know how that would work at a gun show

Residents of most other States can buy a rifle or shotgun in Oklahoma and take possession of it there, as long as they buy it from an Oklahoma FFL. But California residents can't.

Federal law says you can buy a rifle or shotgun from an FFL in another State as long as the transaction takes place at the FFL's licensed premises (or at a gunshow in the FFL's State if the FFL is dealer) and as long as the transaction follows the rules for firearms sales in both States. Since out of State FFL's have no way of following the rules of sale in California (DROS) there is no way they can sell to California residents.

You would have to have the out of state seller ship the gun to your local FFL in California.

If you are only interested in older firearms at the Tulsa show then you should get a Type 03 FFL (C&R) yourself. That way you can buy C&R firearms (both long guns and handguns) from anybody at the show and either bring them back or ship them back to California.