PDA

View Full Version : Customer Wants 30 round Mag Body Sent to California ?

AKdan
01-25-2010, 7:39 PM
Can one ship disassembled 30 round mag bodies to California?

As my customer wants to build pinned 10/30 mags ???

RideIcon
01-25-2010, 7:40 PM
yes, if its in parts its completely legal

Cokebottle
01-25-2010, 7:41 PM
Yes.
Parts are legal. They can be used to rebuild existing legal high-caps, or they can be used to assemble 10/20, 10/30, or 10/whatever legal mags.

Turo
01-25-2010, 7:42 PM
Perfectly legal, as long as you aren't sending complete >10 round magazines. Parts are 100% not regulated.

MudCamper
01-25-2010, 7:44 PM
Here's the CA DOJ letter on that: http://www.hoffmang.com/firearms/DOJ-large-cap-magazines-2005-11-10.pdf

cbn620
01-25-2010, 8:33 PM
Feel free to browse the FAQ for future reference when dealing with California customers. http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions

dantodd
01-25-2010, 8:57 PM
And thank you very much for coming here rather than simply shutting down a California sale. We sympathize with a good dealer trying to stay within the crazy CA laws. We truly appreciate your support in our fight to regain our 2A rights in this state.

domokun
01-25-2010, 8:59 PM
Perfectly legal, as long as you aren't sending complete >10 round magazines. Parts are 100% not regulated.

Nevermind. I'm not thinking straight tonight. Turo is correct.

Rukus
01-25-2010, 9:06 PM
domokun- I think you need to re-read what you quoted Turo on. He said it was legal to send parts. You then said that was false and then reiterated exactly what he said....:shrug:

CnCFunFactory
01-25-2010, 11:14 PM
YES it's legal as others have said and THANK YOU for continuing or starting, whichever the case, to do business with us here in California. You are truly a scholar and a gentleman/woman.

obeygiant
01-26-2010, 12:09 AM
AKDan, welcome to CGN and thank you for doing business with California.

juicemansam
01-26-2010, 12:53 AM
Is there a list of retailers that will disassemble standard capacity magazines for customers? If not, I think there should be one.

shooterfpga
01-26-2010, 4:04 AM
welcome. and thank you for coming here to ask about the legality of your customers request. we appreciate businesses that are open minded enough to seek ca legal options for their customers.

Regulus
01-26-2010, 4:29 AM
Is there a list of retailers that will disassemble standard capacity magazines for customers? If not, I think there should be one.

List of CA-friendly magazine rebuild kit suppliers (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=212808)

NovaTodd
01-26-2010, 7:34 AM
And thank you very much for coming here rather than simply shutting down a California sale. We sympathize with a good dealer trying to stay within the crazy CA laws. We truly appreciate your support in our fight to regain our 2A rights in this state.
+1.

SKSer
01-26-2010, 8:22 AM
AKdan, what is your business name and, maybe you could advertise on the forums, we all really appreciate california friendly dealers. As far as the legality plenty of people have answered your question, but i just wanted to add one thing to it, to keep you and your employees safe, I would Never send in a high capacity magazine to this state assembled, it only takes 30 seconds to dissassemble. Also I would not advertise that you will sell high cap mags to civillians in California, only advertise that you will sell complete magazine repair kits. Once again thank you for being California friendly, we are very greatfull for your buisiness. Put this website in your favorites as the info that we can provide here regarding California laws is invaluble.

bodger
01-26-2010, 8:53 AM
I've often wondered about some of the guns for sale on GunBroker that the seller states cannot be sent to CA due to the standard capacity magazines.

If a seller disassembled the standard capacity magazine and sent it with the gun, is that also legal?

PEBKAC
01-26-2010, 10:16 AM
I've often wondered about some of the guns for sale on GunBroker that the seller states cannot be sent to CA due to the standard capacity magazines.

If a seller disassembled the standard capacity magazine and sent it with the gun, is that also legal?
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't be. Might be a tough sell to the seller though.

ChuangTzu
01-28-2010, 9:59 PM
The OP, AKDan, is from ak47world.com. He decided not to sell the magazine parts fearing the possibility that the state of California could charge him with a felony.

It seems to me that he, being outside of the state, is not subject to the jurisdiction of the state of California and that if they were going to charge anyone in that case it would be the person who ordered the parts.

It's his decision, but the vagueness of the law and the uncertainty intentionally instilled by the CDOJ on the matter which leads not only most out of state companies but also many instate companies to not operate in certain areas of the firearms industry based on fear really irritates me. I don't blame AKDan, but the state... He wants to know why I "live in a 'Soviet-slave State' like California". :P

Cokebottle
01-28-2010, 10:07 PM
It seems to me that he, being outside of the state, is not subject to the jurisdiction of the state of California and that if they were going to charge anyone in that case it would be the person who ordered the parts.
Correct.

He is not "offering for sale" within California in the strictest sense, but the person ordering them would be guilty of importation (if they were assembled).

dantodd
01-28-2010, 10:18 PM
horse.... water.... drink.....

all we can do is keep encouraging the dealers who are supporting us and our fight. Hopefully he'll have a change of heart.

DedEye
01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Correct.

He is not "offering for sale" within California in the strictest sense, but the person ordering them would be guilty of importation (if they were assembled).

Not entirely.

Just to be consistent, I hate you. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_get_in_trouble_for_shipping.2Fsending_as sembled_large_capacity_magazines_into_the_state.3F )

CnCFunFactory
01-29-2010, 1:37 AM
The OP, AKDan, is from ak47world.com. He decided not to sell the magazine parts fearing the possibility that the state of California could charge him with a felony.

It's his decision, but the vagueness of the law and the uncertainty intentionally instilled by the CDOJ on the matter which leads not only most out of state companies but also many instate companies to not operate in certain areas of the firearms industry based on fear really irritates me. I don't blame AKDan, but the state... He wants to know why I "live in a 'Soviet-slave State' like California". :P

Oh well, we tried to enlighten him...

CaliforniaLiberal
01-29-2010, 1:48 AM
It's important to clearly identify the product you're selling as 'Magazine Repair Kits' rather than 'Disassembled Magazines'. It is illegal to buy a disassembled magazine and then to assemble it in California. If you are buying a Repair Kit to fix your worn out Owned-Before-2000 Standard Capacity Magazine that's not a problem.

Words make a difference.

DedEye
01-29-2010, 11:55 AM
It's important to clearly identify the product you're selling as 'Magazine Repair Kits' rather than 'Disassembled Magazines'. It is illegal to buy a disassembled magazine and then to assemble it in California. If you are buying a Repair Kit to fix your worn out Owned-Before-2000 Standard Capacity Magazine that's not a problem.

Words make a difference.

No it isn't.

The invoice could read "Sack full of big black dildos" and as long as any large capacity magazines in the sack were disassembled, they'd be as legal as listing the individual components of the magazine as separate itemized pieces. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_use_rebuild_kits_to_make_large_capacity_ magazines_for_use_out_of_state.3F)

nat
01-29-2010, 12:03 PM

Well said!

P.W.
01-29-2010, 1:11 PM
No it isn't.

The invoice could read "Sack full of big black dildos" and as long as any large capacity magazines in the sack were disassembled, they'd be as legal as listing the individual components of the magazine as separate itemized pieces. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_use_rebuild_kits_to_make_large_capacity_ magazines_for_use_out_of_state.3F)

I wonder what the UPS or Fed-ex delivery guy would think of multiple shipments of Black Dildos being sent to you Dedeye :D
The Rule4 Look would be hilarious...

ChuangTzu
01-29-2010, 2:59 PM
Not entirely.

Just to be consistent, I hate you. (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_get_in_trouble_for_shipping.2Fsending_as sembled_large_capacity_magazines_into_the_state.3F )

He wouldn't be breaking any laws anywhere if he shipped the unassembled magazine parts, unless they tried to claim he was complicit in a plan to manufacture them along with the receiving party. I don't know who brought up sending assembled magazines or why...

B.D.Dubloon
01-29-2010, 3:02 PM
"Sack full of big black dildos"

I'll take it!!!