PDA

View Full Version : Picking up Rifle after Dros ? ?

hylander
01-25-2010, 6:23 PM
So my Brother goes to pick up his new Rifle tonight after the 10 days.
His Lisence expired 4 days ago, however he went and renewed it last week.
But the shop won't accept his paper renewal, which is what DMV gave him until the hard copy comes in the mail.
Is this right of the shop to refuse him until the Hard Copy arrives ?
He has his old Hard Copy and the new renewal paper copy plus other ID's.
At time of Purchase the manager said the renewal would be fine.
Since it may be weeks before DMV actually sends a Hard Copy, now it puts him in the position of having to Re-Dros, and the Manager knew this :mad:

Critical
01-25-2010, 6:27 PM
That's bull****.

Librarian
01-25-2010, 8:00 PM
It's difficult to be really sympathetic here. One's license has an expiration date on it when issued - it is no surprise.

Renewing with a little safety margin seems like a reasonable procedure, though I understand that getting organized that way can have its challenges.

But for the FFL? It's one of Those Things where his/her license may be in jeopardy from DOJ. California is screwy that way.

hylander
01-25-2010, 8:05 PM
It's difficult to be really sympathetic here. One's license has an expiration date on it when issued - it is no surprise.

Renewing with a little safety margin seems like a reasonable procedure, though I understand that getting organized that way can have its challenges.

But for the FFL? It's one of Those Things where his/her license may be in jeopardy from DOJ. California is screwy that way.

His lisence was renewed 2 months ago, DMV never sent him the new Hard Copy.
He had to go back in and do everything over again.

Pyrodyne
01-25-2010, 8:21 PM
Check if your local AAA office can handle the situation for you. IIRC, you could also use a passport for positive ID. Some places have a very fast turnaround on passports.

383green
01-25-2010, 8:31 PM
I sympathize for your brother, but unfortunately, that's the way it is here. The paper temporary license isn't considered valid ID for firearms transfers. When I got my class A commercial driver's license, DMV took away my plastic class C license, handed me a slip of thermal paper with my temporary new class A license printed on it, and I was unable to purchase guns for a couple of months until they got around to sending me my new plastic card. :mad:

hylander
01-25-2010, 8:42 PM
The paper temporary license isn't considered valid ID for firearms transfers

Thats really what I was wondering.
We were just alittle PO'ed because they told us the paper one would be fine
and no tonight they say no.
Were just hoping DMV comes through before the next 29 days so he does not have to re Dros.

383green
01-25-2010, 8:45 PM
The dealer might have thought that the paper would be fine, until he talked to DOJ or BATFE (I don't recall whether it's the state or the feds that veto the paper temp license) and they told him otherwise.

dantodd
01-25-2010, 8:51 PM

With the way DMV is these days with furlough days and a budget crunch that makes it impossible to get an appointment less than a month out it is not quite so hard to believe a license could be expired.

SexualChocolate
01-25-2010, 8:53 PM
When I was at Turners they wouldn't let me run a DROS on a rifle I already paid for as my license was set to expire after the DROS date and wouldn't be valid for the pic up date. They too wouldn't accept the paper interim license.

Guess those are the rules.

ETD1010
01-25-2010, 9:06 PM
The ATF wont' accept the paper copy (neither will CA DOJ). PERIOD. They guy at the shop may have thought he could take it, but he was mistaken. Hard copy, MUST BE VALID. I'm sorry if you've been inconvenienced by this, but the shop has to end up doing what is legal. I've had to turn many away with paper licenses until they can furnish me their new card. :(

tenpercentfirearms
01-25-2010, 9:37 PM
From the DOJ website.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dlrfaqs.php#14G

What identification is required for a person to purchase a firearm?
Clear evidence of identity and age is defined as a valid California driver's license or a valid California Identification Card issued by the DMV. Military identification is also acceptable if accompanied by permanent duty station orders indicating a posting in California, but the dealer must retain copies of both documents.

Temporary driver licenses and temporary identification cards (issued without photo) are not accepted forms of proof of identity and age.

(PC section 12071(c)(1))

Now once you start DROS, you are fine for that part. Now I would have to read the 4473 and see what they say in regards to picking up. The ATF might not stipulate that it must be a hard ID.

5150bronco
01-25-2010, 9:40 PM

that is bull...., but I would think you must have all your ducks in a row before moving forward....., that is shady about manager and next time move on to quality shop/manager. good luck.

CnCFunFactory
01-25-2010, 11:10 PM
Had it happen to me this year actually. Tell your bro to man-up and quit sniveling. I had to wait, so does he. It's the procrastinators way. :43: