PDA

View Full Version : What's the best milsurp shop in LA or So Calif?

losangeles
01-03-2006, 3:52 PM
I'm into milsurp rifles these days. Everywhere I've checked only has a limited supply. Big 5 Sporting Goods, Turners, military surplus stores, etc. There might be 2 - 3 but usually no more than a half-dozen.

You could always get stuff online of course. But I like to view the firearms personally.

Does anybody know the best milsurp shop in LA or So Calif?

stevie
01-03-2006, 4:33 PM
i do not think there is any shops in the Los Angeles area specializing in Mil Surps, like you i have found a limited inventory at the local stores. What are you looking for? I may have something of interest.

losangeles
01-03-2006, 5:02 PM
i do not think there is any shops in the Los Angeles area specializing in Mil Surps, like you i have found a limited inventory at the local stores. What are you looking for? I may have something of interest.

Actually, I'm looking for something more long-term to make purchases on a regular basis, where I can go visit occasionally and check out. Right now, I'm looking for German Kar K98 sniper and a Mosin 91 sniper. Maybe a Japanese sniper later. I just picked up an excellent graded Yugo SKS M59/66.

JH2
01-03-2006, 5:24 PM
Military and Historical Arms and King's Gunworks in Glendale. M&HA had a BIG collection of milsurp stuff. If you are out in the Simi Valley area, stop by Greta's Firearms. That's where I find some very interesting items. All of these shops are great to deal with, honor C&R with COE, and very helpful!

Jim

losangeles
01-03-2006, 5:43 PM
Military and Historical Arms and King's Gunworks in Glendale. M&HA had a BIG collection of milsurp stuff. If you are out in the Simi Valley area, stop by Greta's Firearms. That's where I find some very interesting items. All of these shops are great to deal with, honor C&R with COE, and very helpful!

Jim

Thanks for these nice leads!

slowjonn
01-03-2006, 6:44 PM
Armory of Orange and World of Warriors, both in the city of Orange. They both have had a good selection in the past but I haven't been in to either in a while so call first.

stevie
01-03-2006, 7:00 PM
Los Angeles, nice toys you are looking for, i believe Armory of Orange closed during the year. One of these days going to look into the other store!!!

Paradiddle
01-03-2006, 8:59 PM
Armory of Orange and World of Warriors, both in the city of Orange. They both have had a good selection in the past but I haven't been in to either in a while so call first.

Armory of Orange closed down unfortunately - that was a great place.

losangeles
01-03-2006, 9:04 PM
Thanks, I'll give World of Warriors a call in the morning.

slowjonn
01-03-2006, 9:19 PM
Too bad about Armory closing. They had a M1 carbine collection that I would have given an arm or two to own.:(

Major Miner II
01-03-2006, 10:43 PM
Too bad about Armory closing. They had a M1 carbine collection that I would have given an arm or two to own.:(
*tags*

*goes old school*

Anyone remember Fed Ord?

losangeles
01-04-2006, 10:31 AM
I called World of Warriors. They don't have a website yet but are working on it.

It sounds like they have a more substantial inventory of milsurps than other places I've been around here. However, just to get an idea of pricing I asked for some sample prices. I was told in the $400 range for Yugo and Chinese SKSs. Sounds high compared to what I'm used to; these would have to be excellent grade and then some. It could just be standard quote price but subject to discount, like some places. I don't know, but I'll check them out just to confirm.

sintax
01-04-2006, 10:38 AM
I was told in the $400 range for Yugo and Chinese SKSs. Sounds high compared to what I'm used to; these would have to be excellent grade and then some.

I'd be hard pressed to pay $400 for a prime russian in excellent shape. You can get $160 yugos in NEW shape all day long.

losangeles
01-04-2006, 7:54 PM
You can get $160 yugos in NEW shape all day long.

Yeah, you're right. They're all over the online retailers.

But I'd prefer a local place so I can check them out for myself, if there's a good one locally. Even with a $160 price with an online retailer, it would cost another $50 - $100 for FFL transfer fee (depending on your FFL), plus whatever shipping, so you're talking about $210 - $260 plus shipping, for maybe around $230 - 280 or so.

I'm working on getting a C&R license, so I can get them direct and only worry about shipping. But if there's a local place, it'd be nice to handle the guns before buying.

delloro
01-05-2006, 8:31 AM
*tags*

*goes old school*

Anyone remember Fed Ord?

later wolffs?

on chapman or whatever? oh yes. bins of 8mm AP, walls of mausers. I think I'm gonna cry.

grammaton76
01-05-2006, 12:55 PM
There's always Socal Guns in San Diego. They say they're C&R friendly (I don't have my license yet, though) and they do have a few racks of rifles. I won't say they're too knowledgeable (they swore up and down that an SVT-40 would be an assault rifle in California), but they do have a lot more milsurps than your typical shop that wants to show off modern stuff.

I got my CZ-52 from a place up in Santa Ana or so, which closed up promptly thereafter. I think it was Gold Coast Traders - Socal Gun is about like them.

brassburns
01-05-2006, 7:24 PM
*tags*

*goes old school*

Anyone remember Fed Ord?

Fed Ord in South El Monte was a fun place to browse. Lots of surplus guns, gadgets, and ammo. They also were a manufacturer of 1911, MIA frames.

I had a 1911 frame that cracked. I took it into the shop and in about 15 minutes came out with a new one with the same serial number hand stamped on the frame. That was cool.

Randy

sintax
01-05-2006, 7:46 PM
it would cost another $50 - $100 for FFL transfer fee (depending on your FFL), plus whatever shipping, so you're talking about $210 - $260 plus shipping, for maybe around $230 - 280 or so.

If you are spending $100 on a transfer you have bigger problems then where to find local guns. My transfer dealer only charges $35....and then $20 for every unit after.

As for shipping, Last time I bought a long gun from InterOrd shipping only cost me $8.

I have less then $180 TOTAL in one of my Yugo 59 SKS's.

Sure there is something to be said for being able to see what you get, but if you are buying from the IMPORTER you are usually better off at getting a top quality gun.

Often times they'll pull out the best of the best, and set them aside as choice picks, and for $10-$20 extra they'll pull one from the top of that stack.

Whats left they ship to all of the dealers that you are asking about. Unless your dealer is getting them from overseas himself, you are better off dealing with an importer.

Thats all i've learned from surplus rifles.

Major Miner II
01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
later wolffs?

on chapman or whatever? oh yes. bins of 8mm AP, walls of mausers. I think I'm gonna cry.
That's the place.

*wipes a tear*

tenpercentfirearms
01-06-2006, 10:20 PM
I am not a big stocker, in fact any kind of in stock guy at all, except...I just ordered 4 K-98s from Inter-Ordnance (and 8 SKSs) and they should hopefully be here soon. I am up by Bakersfield, so it is a drive, but I will have them soon.

www.tenpercentfirearms.com