PDA

View Full Version : Question on Private Party Transfer (PPT)

BigD6765
01-24-2010, 6:18 PM
I have a question concerning PPT transfers for someone that is not a California resident...which is me. I'm actually a dual-resident, working in CA but my permanent home is in Texas (a helluva commute I might add).

At any rate, I have a few handguns I have considered selling. Selling in Texas is quite simple, but the value of said guns is much higher for the ones that are not on the handgun roster. As I understand it, any handgun not on the roster can be sold but only as a PPT. So, I could not ship it to a dealer and have the CA resident take possession of it.

Now, I transferred a couple of my personal guns to CA to keep me legal. But, according to the website, I have 60 days to do so with any gun I would bring in from out of state. It also says that I can sell it to a dealer or another individual through a dealer within that 60 days. This is where I got that info:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/ab991.php

So, it seems to be on the up and up to do so. But, from reading the forums, it seems some dealers aren't all that "friendly" when it comes to PPT's so I'm wondering if they'd give me a hard time and/or not do it for me at all.

Does anyone know of dealers in the LA/OC area that have done this in the past? I'd like to line up some options before I bring anything out.

Thanks

wildhawker
01-24-2010, 6:30 PM
If you have a CA driver's lic or ID you'll be able to PPT a firearm to another CA resident.

BigD6765
01-24-2010, 6:43 PM
I do not have a CA driver's license. It's TX as that's my primary home. I hadn't thought about getting just an ID card though...I need to look into seeing if they'll let me get one of those.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-24-2010, 6:53 PM
I do not have a CA driver's license. It's TX as that's my primary home. I hadn't thought about getting just an ID card though...I need to look into seeing if they'll let me get one of those.

If you don't have a California DL or ID from the DMV then you can't do a PPT in California. This would also stop you from selling any "off Roster" handguns here, since they need to be sold via PPT to get the Roster exemption.