PDA

View Full Version : Orosco Ridge San Diego

joelberg
01-24-2010, 5:19 PM
I'm willing to host an Orosco RIdge Clean Up Whether it's endorsed or not. I really don't care if the City or State or Feds endorse my Clean Up. I just want to see Orosco Ridge get cleaned up. Call me up if you're interested in helping to clean up Orosco Ridge.

619/365-NINE-317

Axewound
01-24-2010, 6:41 PM
good luck sir. i root for anyone trying to clean up that area.

on a side note i think this would make a good eagle scout project for any of you dads who have sons in the program

Echidin
01-24-2010, 8:50 PM
Definitely something I would be interested in if I can fit it into my schedule. A couple buddies and I did a little cleaning the last time we were up there, but clearly not enough to make a difference.

Bedlam
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I am not sure were this is but let me know when you want to do it and directions and such!

rumblebee
01-25-2010, 12:43 PM
If I can swing it (day), I'm down with a clean up......The thing is, gotta be early am, before all the shooters get out there....way too dangerous to be running aroud out there when the place is "hot"

Pls keep us in the loop!

scubamark13
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
Let me know when you are planing on doing it.

Casual_Shooter
01-25-2010, 2:07 PM
Perhaps a group of guys could "take over" one shooting lane. That way, there would be no other shooters to worry about (relatively speaking). That would limit the cleaning area, but would make it more efficient.

rumblebee
01-25-2010, 4:01 PM
We'd need to take over either the whole upper or lower part of the ridge (for a clean up). I've been there shooting and went to retrieve a target on a "cease fire" and some knucklehead starting shooting....I've never kissed the dirt so quick in my life...he then got an earful from me when I made it back down :rolleyes: (place is scary depending on who is out there)

Perhaps a group of guys could "take over" one shooting lane. That way, there would be no other shooters to worry about (relatively speaking). That would limit the cleaning area, but would make it more efficient.

pullnshoot25
01-25-2010, 4:29 PM
I will inform the Marksmanship Club @ UCSD if you want. I am certain some members would like to participate.

L4D
01-25-2010, 4:34 PM
We'd need to take over either the whole upper or lower part of the ridge (for a clean up). I've been there shooting and went to retrieve a target on a "cease fire" and some knucklehead starting shooting....I've never kissed the dirt so quick in my life...he then got an earful from me when I made it back down :rolleyes: (place is scary depending on who is out there)

cease fire? sorry ive only been there on the weekdays and have never had more than 1-2 groups out there with me. Is there like a hand signal or some point in time that there's a cease fire? I change/adjust targets while the other parties are reloading or changing mags. I watched for them and it was obvious they were watching me as well and for next couple hours thats how it worked.

I've also only shot on the lower portion and its kind of hairy hearing shots from the hill.

grammaton76
01-25-2010, 4:41 PM
Cease fire probably means that you duck behind a rock and start rattling off return fire in their direction.

Seriously though, I've only been once, was at the top of the ridge, and didn't see anyone down below. If I'd had a view of any of them, I'd have been twitching about it.

'Course, if more people held my outdoor shooting philosophy, I think they'd feel a bit less unsafe:

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs072.snc3/13932_1202390352336_1605918491_2273144_7277763_n.j pg

rumblebee
01-25-2010, 4:44 PM
It's a hand signal\verbal and then another verification of me looking back while walking out...I don't trust other shooters out there enough to run out while they are reloading...just means they will have more rounds to blow while I'm running back ;). It's easier to control in smaller groups...but, on a weekend up there.....very hairy! :eek:

cease fire? sorry ive only been there on the weekdays and have never had more than 1-2 groups out there with me. Is there like a hand signal or some point in time that there's a cease fire? I change/adjust targets while the other parties are reloading or changing mags. I watched for them and it was obvious they were watching me as well and for next couple hours thats how it worked.

I've also only shot on the lower portion and its kind of hairy hearing shots from the hill.

rumblebee
01-25-2010, 4:47 PM
That's just about what it feels like! :rofl2:

Cease fire probably means that you duck behind a rock and start rattling off return fire in their direction.

GoodGrain
01-28-2010, 2:35 PM
I'm down. I'll bring an orange vest.

lstrong
01-28-2010, 2:47 PM
I live in Ramona.I'm interested.

csarel
01-28-2010, 3:52 PM
Hopefully on a weekend?
If so I'm def. down for a clean up!!!

pullnshoot25
01-28-2010, 4:18 PM
Give me a friggin date so I can plan for it!

joelberg
01-28-2010, 4:23 PM
I was thinking we could do it sometime early March on an early Saturday or Sunday morning so we can "beat the heat" so to speak but still make it so that most working people can show up.

I was thinking March 6/7 would be good so we can get a month to get as many folks together as possible to help out.

How does that date sound? How early would you be willing to make it up that hill?

After cleaning we could have a barbecue and a group shoot if there is interest.

Of course we'll need pick up trucks to load all that junk up into, and everyone should make sure their tetanus shots are up to date! I don't have a pickup, but I do have an older Suburban I could cover the inside of with sheets to protect from the garbage.

rumblebee
01-28-2010, 5:06 PM
pullnshoots reply made me smile :D

3/6 or 3/7 sounds good to me, joelberg...plenty of time to get more people involved...get up there early and then send some lead down range afterwards:cool:

Give me a friggin date so I can plan for it!

180ls1
02-01-2010, 4:54 PM
pullnshoots reply made me smile :D

3/6 or 3/7 sounds good to me, joelberg...plenty of time to get more people involved...get up there early and then send some lead down range afterwards:cool:

cant do 3/6, sundays are better for me but dont let me stop you. I will go ahead and call the forest department and the dump to see if we can just dump all at the trash for free right at the dump since it is only 5mins away. I know it might be a long shot but the ranger lady seems pretty nice. I post up what they say later on once i have time to call and see what they had to say.

Alaric
02-01-2010, 5:53 PM
I'd be down to pitch in, but I don't have a pickup, just a Jeep.

One idea I'd like to float, how bout we try NOT to do it on a weekend? I know availability might be a problem if it's not a weekend, but that place gets awful crowded with shooters on the weekend. Might be a problem getting in to safely clean it if it's crowded. Last time I was there (early December weekend) it was PACKED and people were waiting for the sweet spots to open up.

So who might be willing to do this on a weekday? Maybe just a halfday thing on a Friday?

ride20zdrink40z
02-01-2010, 6:10 PM
I'd like to help. just let me know when.

RandyD
02-01-2010, 7:12 PM
If I don't have a scheduling conflict, I'll come and help.

If there are enough people, you may want to ask the rangers if they could assist by being present and temporarily closing the area to shooting while everyone is down range collecting trash. That would be a good way to establish a good working relationship with the rangers and provide safety to those of us who are cleaning up the area.

joelberg
02-01-2010, 7:33 PM
cant do 3/6, sundays are better for me but dont let me stop you. I will go ahead and call the forest department and the dump to see if we can just dump all at the trash for free right at the dump since it is only 5mins away. I know it might be a long shot but the ranger lady seems pretty nice. I post up what they say later on once i have time to call and see what they had to say.

Cool! Thanks for helping out, I appreciate it.

dirtnap
02-01-2010, 10:22 PM
My work schedule is generally flexible, count me in pending a set time and date. No truck, but my wrangler will get most places and I have a 10k winch.

clay32
02-07-2010, 9:33 AM
PM Sent to Joel, I have some hauling equipment to offer.

lstrong
02-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Orosco Ridge is closed right now due to water erosion damage to the road right now.It is supposed to be opened in 3 weeks.People should call 760-788-0250 ext. 5 to make sure the ridge is open.You never know how long they will keep it closed.

Meety Peety
02-07-2010, 11:21 AM
Weekends are bad for cleanups here. A weekday would be much, muccchhh safer for an independent cleanup. If it is done on a weekend, early morning is a bad idea. Us early birds get there at the crack of dawn, its actually the busiest time. 8am is twice as busy as, say, 3pm. The only suggestion I would have for a weekend morning cleanup would be to get there while its still dark and lock down a whole plateau with Calgunners, that way people just flood the top of the hill when they get there. Keep in mind, this would also piss off a lot of people who drove 45 minutes or whatever and couldn't get a spot. There can be a lot of Aholes that don't care that people are trying to clean up after them.

But really, a weekday would be much better for a non sactioned cleanup. It would be different if they were shutting down the range, but they've already said that they won't do this anymore. Let me know once plans are set in stone and I'll be glad to help out. I have a truck, rakes shovels etc.

randver
02-07-2010, 11:44 AM
im in

ccandgc
02-07-2010, 6:05 PM
Im in....I have a Tundra and a small trailer too. Weekdays are good for me.

shanesaw
02-12-2010, 9:30 AM
I'm new to these boards and would like to help. I have a 6X9X3 trailer and if I have a few weeks notice, can do a weekday. Weekends are definitely easy.

Untamed1972
02-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Where is this area at? I'm not familiar with it.

swordknives
02-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Im good to help weekday or weekend. I dont have a truck but ive got two hands and am willing to help out.

Twinkies
02-12-2010, 10:25 AM
As already mentioned, Orosco Ridge is currently closed due to the washout at the bottom of the hill right after the gate. If it keeps raining.. who knows.. it could get worse.
They were out with a bobcat trying to smooth things out as of last week but it was a mess.
In my opinion, I would not get the Rangers involved as they have already shot down a previous organized cleanup for no real reason. We really need to take it upon ourselves. Sneak attack!
For those of you that have never been up there that are offering to bring trailers.. a word of caution.. its a long, steep, windy, bumpy, and narrow way up to the top. Not saying it cant be done, just saying Im not going to bring mine..
Id also vote strongly for a weekday.. the turnout will likely be less, but.. I think it will make for a much safer and more effective cleanup.
Id recommend setting a date farther in the future than the first week of march given the current situation..
It would be great to meet some of you guys and help out!

Casual_Shooter
02-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Where is this area at? I'm not familiar with it.

It's in Ramona- past the dump.

Here's a link: http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Orosco_Ridge_Map.gif

Untamed1972
02-12-2010, 12:50 PM
It's in Ramona- past the dump.

Here's a link: http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Orosco_Ridge_Map.gif

Wow......didn't know there was a place in Ramona to shoot. That weekend in march that was suggested I will be out of town. but I will keep tabs here and see what is finally settled on. weekdays are even possible and I do have a truck also.

DVCG30
02-12-2010, 4:53 PM
Sounds like good, clean fun! I would lean toward a weekday to be safe. I drive a 4x4 work truck with a covered bed and duallys. Big but HEAVY. Can make room in back for stuff, and tools/ trash bags are not a problem.
Let's GitR Done!

Echidin
02-12-2010, 8:48 PM
Hope the roads reopen by the end of this month...doesn't sound likely though.

Getoffthecomputer
02-13-2010, 8:14 AM
I'm down for a weekday. I have a small truck with 4 seats if anyone needs a ride.

To the OP, maybe you could set 2 dates. One on a weekend and one on a weekday in March and start a list of people attending. I think we concentrated on one lane at a time we could do some serious cleaning. I also think that people who were not participating would be willing to give up their spot and trade lanes as we move on to the next one...I would.

lstrong
02-13-2010, 2:34 PM
Road is open.A little slippery though.

Getoffthecomputer
02-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Wow! Sweet. They made it sound like there was no way it would be open until the end of the month. I'm going Monday. Who wants to clean a lane with me!

lstrong
02-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Wow! Sweet. They made it sound like there was no way it would be open until the end of the month. I'm going Monday. Who wants to clean a lane with me!

What time? I got a mosin m44 that I need to shoot.

Getoffthecomputer
02-14-2010, 8:10 AM
E A R L Y!

Getoffthecomputer
02-14-2010, 12:28 PM
There looks like there will be two of us Calgunners tommorow. Anyone else? PM me.

lstrong
02-14-2010, 8:23 PM
I ended up going up today and I took a bunch of stuff out of there with me from the lane at the top of the road shooting east.I hardly made a dent.That place needs work.

CenterfireCS
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM
We have been talking to the ranger station and the state to get a permit to clean up Orosco Ridge. We are finding that it is never going to happen. They told us that the shooting area is a health hazard due to the amount of lead in the ground. They are saying that it is too dirty to clean up. Doesn't make much sense to us.

You guys are doing the right thing by just going in and removing trash and shells. We are planning on doing some testing out there this month and would love to meet all you guys up there to take some trash back out with us. We will bring large trash bags and cans. PM me or post on this thread if you are interested. Hopefully we can make a dent.

rumblebee
02-17-2010, 12:25 PM
trying to wrap my head around this.... you're going to perform a cleanup, while others are shooting in the lanes next to the cleanup lanes? :eek:

Be safe...I'll pass on this one!

I'm down for a weekday. I have a small truck with 4 seats if anyone needs a ride.

To the OP, maybe you could set 2 dates. One on a weekend and one on a weekday in March and start a list of people attending. I think we concentrated on one lane at a time we could do some serious cleaning. I also think that people who were not participating would be willing to give up their spot and trade lanes as we move on to the next one...I would.

Casual_Shooter
02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
trying to wrap my head around this.... you're going to perform a cleanup, while others are shooting in the lanes next to the cleanup lanes? :eek:

Be safe...I'll pass on this one!

Depending on the area, some of the lanes are not right next to each other.

rumblebee
02-17-2010, 1:05 PM
Been there many times, know the area.....hence the "Be Safe" while trying to clean lanes, with shooters in other lanes. Being down range, while others are shooting down range (scary)......BE SAFE!!!

Depending on the area, some of the lanes are not right next to each other.

Hunt
02-17-2010, 5:14 PM
forget about a permit get in there and remove it covertly but then again they probably have surveillance on the area and will throw the good citizens that are cleaning up the mess in jail and fine them for something or another.

Getoffthecomputer
02-17-2010, 5:18 PM
You are probably right. There are a couple places where it would most definitely not be safe. But there are a few others where there is enough trash close to where people park that it would make no difference. I respect your caution, and thank you for your concern.

I packed a trashbag this week just in a small area not more than 20 yards away from my truck, and barely made a dent. There were no shooters to be concerned about anymore than if was sitting on my tailgate.

lstrong
02-17-2010, 7:02 PM
doing this in the evening would be best.At 4 or 5 in the afternoon there are only a few shooters there anyways.I say we show up in the afternoon,have fun shooting and when we leave,we just leave with way more trash than we went in with.We grab the big stuff and the shotgun hulls if we can and leave the brass and steel for another time.With enough people we could make a huge dent in the mess.

jpkotor
02-18-2010, 4:40 PM
I think I'm going to be checking out Orosco for this first time this weekend. I don't think I'll be able to make it up the weekend of the cleanup because of school, but I'll bring a couple of trashbags to fill and see if I can make a difference around wherever I end up..

lstrong
02-18-2010, 11:28 PM
grab the big stuff if you can.Like computer monitors and crap like that.

joelberg
02-21-2010, 4:25 AM
Sorry, but I got called by the rangers. Was told to postpone the cleanup event. I guess they monitor Cal Guns? Very strange. I'm postponing the event by 1 month. April 3 is the new date.

Sorry guys. I think this is very strange. April 3 sounds perfect to me anyways. We'll get this done and clean Orosco Ridge up. I really want to see all that crap get picked up and taken away.

PLEASE EVERYONE WITH PICKUPS!!!! I want you to attend! We need guys with Pickup trucks to attend so we can dump all of the garbage at the local dump (only a mile or two from Orosco Ridge)!

I've only got a Suburban, and I will be taking it out to OR and WILL be loading it up with garbage. I'm going to cover the inside of the truck with tarps so it isn't dirtied. If you've got an SUV or a truck, we really need your help!

In regards to safety, I'd like to show up at OR at 6AM and have everyone meet and take over the entire site before anyone else shows up to go shooting. We'll probably be finished before noon if everyone who has so far agreed shows up and works hard!

After cleaning up I want to have a group barbecue and shoot! So bring your porterhouse steaks in the ice chests! If anyone has a transportable BBQ, please bring it too!

This isn't just going to be another "service project", it's going to be fun!

joelberg
02-21-2010, 4:28 AM
I think I'm going to be checking out Orosco for this first time this weekend. I don't think I'll be able to make it up the weekend of the cleanup because of school, but I'll bring a couple of trashbags to fill and see if I can make a difference around wherever I end up..

Thanks! Any help is appreciated! If you can make the new date of Apr 3 I hope to see you there.

Untamed1972
02-22-2010, 8:40 AM
I wonder if we could get one of the local trash companies to donate a roll-off dumpster for the day of the clean-up?

ccandgc
02-22-2010, 1:59 PM
I wonder if we could get one of the local trash companies to donate a roll-off dumpster for the day of the clean-up?

That would be great.

Alaric
02-23-2010, 12:16 AM
I'll try and make it 4/3, though I still dislike the idea of trying to do this on a weekend when tons of shooters go there and Rangers are always lurking about. I think it would be much less potentially confrontational to do this during the week.

Also, I know this is a pipedream, but it would be awesome if we could put a sign or two up as well. Something to the effect of, "If you want to keep shooting here, pick up your trash!" Or something similar to goad people into realizing OR isn't their personal dump.

Untamed1972
02-23-2010, 10:00 AM
I'll try and make it 4/3, though I still dislike the idea of trying to do this on a weekend when tons of shooters go there and Rangers are always lurking about. I think it would be much less potentially confrontational to do this during the week.

Also, I know this is a pipedream, but it would be awesome if we could put a sign or two up as well. Something to the effect of, "If you want to keep shooting here, pick up your trash!" Or something similar to goad people into realizing OR isn't their personal dump.

The problem with mid-week is that most people just can't ditch work for something like this.

Would it be possible to poasst some signs a few weeks ahead of time to alert people that a clean-up will be taking place that day and ask them to either come and help or plan accordingly for everyones safety?

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
I don't think pulling off an "official" clean-up day will happen. i.e. with signs dumpsters etc.

The rangers have already poo-poo'd the idea. And any issues arising from a clean-up are their responsibility.

Any clean-up will have to be done by a small group of people who take over a lane or two (safely, of course) and then repeat at another time but without alerting the rangers.

Untamed1972
02-23-2010, 1:15 PM
Why aren't the rangers more supportive of an official clean up?

Best get their names and such so when they try and shut the place down cuz it's getting trashed they can be reminded that people wanted to come clean it up.

Casual_Shooter
02-23-2010, 1:27 PM
Why aren't the rangers more supportive of an official clean up?

Best get their names and such so when they try and shut the place down cuz it's getting trashed they can be reminded that people wanted to come clean it up.

From what I read, they are concerned about the toxins in the material and dirt that will be cleaned up or moved during a clean up, so they won't sponsor a cleaning day.

I can't imagine they would "stop" someone from loading trash in their car or truck but they'll deny seeing it. ;)

Untamed1972
02-23-2010, 1:30 PM
From what I read, they are concerned about the toxins in the material and dirt that will be cleaned up or moved during a clean up, so they won't sponsor a cleaning day.

I can't imagine they would "stop" someone from loading trash in their car or truck but they'll deny seeing it. ;)

Oh good lord!!! Stop the madness!!!

Meety Peety
03-13-2010, 7:18 PM
Has anyone moved forward on this? I haven't heard of any real progress as of yet. On a side note, has anyone been out to Orosco since it reopened recently? I called the Ranger station yesterday and heard the new message.. sounds like they've changed everything up a bit with the new shooting "Sections". Planning on going out Monday afternoon to check it out myself.. but I'm wondering what all has changed.

Edit: Thread on this http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276097&page=2

Glock21sfsd
03-15-2010, 12:55 PM
I am down to help I have a Nissan Titan that we can load up
Just give me a call at least a week before so I can plan it
Thanks
Jeff

zeke2517
03-19-2010, 12:00 AM
Im in for 4-3-2010, I have an old Yota Pick up thats a BEATER!!! we can pile all kinds of crap in it. I dont get off work until that morning, so i will be leaving Riverside around 830am. PM me if its is still on and if you need my truck/help. Thanks
Zeke

J-Rat
03-21-2010, 4:27 PM
Howdy

I went shooting with some friends this morning at oroscoc ridge in ramona. The range is looking a lot better. not so much trash. If we all pack out more than we bring in it will stay clean. I've been shooting there over 23 years.
I meet a man and his son there, he is a Calgun member.they were sighting in their rifles to go coyote hunting. his name is Fred.
It reminded me when I took my son shooting there.we didn't always get along. But when we went shooting we always had a great time.
Let us all keep this range clean, so it may stay open.
With your children don't sweat the small stuff. Take them shooting. And always always always, make sure that they know you love them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
On my way home I stopped to visit my son PFC Michael Robert Jarrett at the cemetery on ash st. In Ramona. He died in Iraq this January 2010.
You never really know what you have until it's gone.

J-rat

Gunfighter420
03-21-2010, 6:36 PM
Amen J-Rat. That was us you met. My son Nick and I. Thanks for coming up to us and introducing yourself. I put a story up on General Discussions and the Title is "I met a new freind at Orosco Ridge Today"

Take Care and keep in touch.

lumwilliam
03-28-2010, 7:02 PM
Has anyone moved forward on this? I haven't heard of any real progress as of yet. On a side note, has anyone been out to Orosco since it reopened recently? I called the Ranger station yesterday and heard the new message.. sounds like they've changed everything up a bit with the new shooting "Sections". Planning on going out Monday afternoon to check it out myself.. but I'm wondering what all has changed.

Edit: Thread on this http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=276097&page=2

Hey Peety - did you make it out to Orosco? What are the conditions out there - how restricted has the shooting area become?

Thanks!

JAGACIDA
04-04-2010, 4:44 PM
I was out there today in zone 1. Nice weather and very few shooters. Trashy.
I was there 2 saturdays ago and it was very clean.
I asked at the same time both the state and federal rangers when they were going to shut it down, the lady said it depended on her superiors, the fed said he didn't know. Wait and see I guess.

biker777
05-02-2010, 4:15 PM
where is this Orosco place? never been there, anyone have the directions?? thanks

Bill_in_SD
05-05-2010, 1:12 PM
PM me if you are going during the week, I am interested in helping.

I don't check this section often enough sorry I missed the previous efforts.

mothermopar
05-05-2010, 1:41 PM
J-Rat,

Sorry about your son. I thank your family and him for his service and sacrifice. May God bless you and yours. Always remember: your son is a hero.

stewiegriffin
05-07-2010, 6:28 PM
Leave with more than you came with. Bring a couple of trash bags and pick up trash.

J-Rat, sorry for your loss.

JAY BOOGIE
07-11-2010, 6:49 PM
This might be an old thread but I just read it.

My idea is that who ever goes shooting there take more trash home than what they came with.

If 10 people did this, no matter what day or equipment used, the range will be clean everyday.

There are plenty of shooters that go. We can make a difference.

sevensix2x51
07-11-2010, 6:52 PM
orosco ridge is closed until winter, methinks......

Alaric
07-11-2010, 11:17 PM
Yep, closed as of 6/18, due to fire danger according to the Ranger district office.

Just because it's closed to shooting doesn't necessarily mean it's closed to a cleanup, right? Unless they've got the gate locked up tight...

JAY BOOGIE
07-12-2010, 8:03 PM
AW MAN! I thought they closed up in August. We were going up there this weekend to Cap and Clean.

znode
07-15-2010, 7:49 PM
Christ.

So Orosco is closed, Jacumba is closed.

What the hell are we supposed to do?

I guess it's only an extra half hour to Imperial county. Temperatures there hit 110 though as soon as the sun is up.

JAY BOOGIE
07-16-2010, 8:13 AM
Well... when I win the lotto jackpot, plans include 50 acres in Alpine.

Cal Gunners are welcome to shoot any time in my backyard.

$1.00 life time membership includes free soft drinks, burgers/hotdogs, and a coffee lounge. Just a social room to talk, relax, and clean your toys.