PDA

View Full Version : China and Google.

nicki
01-24-2010, 6:10 PM
Google's co founder's got a wake up call about dealing with Authoritarian government's and they responded by pulling out of China.

Which brings us to where I am going with this. Free flow of information, ideas etc are critical to controlling a government. If the government has full control of speech, information, the press and everything else espoused in the 1st amendment, then the government is in full control and the people who are under that government's control can't do anything about it.

Exercise of the 1st amendment(Peaceful means) of dealing with the government only trully exists as a right provided the people have the means to enforce their rights with force (2nd amendment).

If anyone here works for Google or has access to people in Goggle who can reach the founders, we may have found a way to get Google on our side.

Nicki

Cos
01-24-2010, 6:24 PM
C'mon man - wake up: Google and free speech right? There CEO is a former Sun Micro exec. and is full of it... http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/12/08/0127219/Google-CEO-Says-Privacy-Worries-Are-For-Wrongdoers?from=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Slashdot%2Fslashdot+%28Slashd ot%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

rob
01-24-2010, 7:52 PM
I just got back from China on Saturday. Google's filtering of content was in full force, regardless of what our media outlets were saying.

dantodd
01-24-2010, 8:02 PM
Google is only opposed to totalitarianism when it adversely effects their bottom line.

bulgron
01-24-2010, 8:23 PM
Google is only opposed to totalitarianism when it adversely effects their bottom line.

Really.

I remember when Google was first starting out. They had a corporate motto: "Do no evil."

Haven't heard them say that in a while.

dantodd
01-24-2010, 9:32 PM
Really.

I remember when Google was first starting out. They had a corporate motto: "Do no evil."

Not since they bought a corporate party jet to park next to their headquarters.

dantodd
01-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Yay Bruce.....

http://www.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/01/23/schneier.google.hacking/index.html?hpt=C2

erik
01-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Really.

I see this misconception still floats abound. The phrase was "Don't be evil."

And it wasn't a corporate motto, it was the employee code of conduct, simplified. i.e. how employees were to treat each other. It was to their advantage to not correct the rumor.

The founders have grown arrogant, even against their own employees. The company is stratified with "some better than others".

Google founders will *never* be on *our* side. Just be thankful they are not shoveling millions at the brady foundation.

*Disclaimer: I left about a year and a half ago after working there for almost 5 years.

haodoken
01-25-2010, 11:39 AM
Ummmm...It's China. That's how they control their people. Control information = control people. Nothing special there. Google just won't be making any money in China. Too bad for them.

Aleksei Vasiliev
01-25-2010, 12:56 PM
I just got back from China on Saturday. Google's filtering of content was in full force, regardless of what our media outlets were saying.

The official Google press released said they will be stopping their filtering, but will first be talking to China about it. I'd say by the end of February they'll probably be pulling out of China, since China obviously won't let them stop filtering. Breaking into the USGov's warrant interception system for Gmail made the China Gov look a bit bad.

dantodd
01-25-2010, 1:04 PM
The official Google press released said they will be stopping their filtering, but will first be talking to China about it. I'd say by the end of February they'll probably be pulling out of China, since China obviously won't let them stop filtering. Breaking into the USGov's warrant interception system for Gmail made the China Gov look a bit bad.

Putting in a warrant interception system makes Google look a bit bad.