View Full Version : .38 Caliber Bullet Test Fired by Laser Engraved Handgun

obeygiant
01-24-2010, 3:34 PM
Found this on CL.

Los Angeles

.38 Caliber Bullet Test Fired by Laser Engraved Handgun - $499
Date: 2010-01-24, 11:50AM PST
Reply to: sale-sk6bc-1568375239@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Please be sure to follow the links and read about the new handgun ID laws passed in California and Washington DC...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330396570927

Thank you.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3k33l85Oc5Td5Rea1o3fd00c29aa3a1f12.jpg

PostingID: 1568375239

Cokebottle
01-24-2010, 3:37 PM
Microstamping goes on the casing, not the bullet.

loather
01-24-2010, 3:40 PM
interesting. I wonder if the microgrooves read like a barcode.

I bet if you gave me 15 minutes and access to all my tools, lubes, and compounds, i could have that removed wholesale with no appreciable effect on accuracy/precision.

The firing pin/chamber stamp would be even easier.

obeygiant
01-24-2010, 3:44 PM
Microstamping goes on the casing, not the bullet.

you are correct and what we have here is a barcode stamped bullet.

dantodd
01-24-2010, 3:48 PM
surprised ebay allows a firearms related auction on their site. Perhaps someone should report this auction.

tankerman
01-24-2010, 3:52 PM
you are correct and what we have here is a barcode stamped bullet.

Can anyone guess what a barcode looks like after bullet impact?:rolleyes:

bigcalidave
01-24-2010, 3:55 PM
What's with the guys myspace page !!

http://www.myspace.com/barcodebullet

This guy is trying to compete with microstamping! Those grooves look to be very small, I'd say that they couldn't last a few rounds without enough copper filling them and ruining the effect.

obeygiant
01-24-2010, 3:55 PM
surprised ebay allows a firearms related auction on their site. Perhaps someone should report this auction.

especially after viewing the video that is posted on the auction. sounds like a female version of Radiohead's "Paranoid Android"

kakf9Zt6GYA

Colt-45
01-24-2010, 3:59 PM
Okay now lets have criminals trade in their guns for micro stamped ones :tt2:

Cokebottle
01-24-2010, 4:00 PM
This guy is trying to compete with microstamping!
And claiming that it meets the requirements of AB962... and also mis-stating that AB962 requires the projectile to be marked.

obeygiant
01-24-2010, 4:01 PM
Can anyone guess what a barcode looks like after bullet impact?:rolleyes:

note that i did not say that it was an effective technology.

tankerman
01-24-2010, 4:12 PM
note that i did not say that it was an effective technology.
I know, my eye rolling was towards the a--hole that's trying to make money at the expense of everyone's rights.

The 'tard shows a FMJ when, basic range ammo, when most folks would be shooting some kind of expanding bullet that would become severely deformed and may fragment as well.

Nice the way he lists the NRA as one of his friends on his Myspace page, wonder if the NRA knows he's claiming them as one of his friends? I'll be sure.

OleCuss
01-24-2010, 4:26 PM
I like this technology just a little bit better than micro-stamping. At least someone couldn't take my spent casing, reload it and then shoot someone with it - or just drop my casings at the scene.

But I think I'd go a long way out of my way not to buy a gun with a barrel which has been bisected, laser etched, and then arc welded back together. . .

Also, it would be very interesting to see whether velocity or accuracy are affected (I'd bet there is at least some effect).

My375hp302
01-24-2010, 4:40 PM
I know, my eye rolling was towards the a--hole that's trying to make money at the expense of everyone's rights.

The 'tard shows a FMJ when, basic range ammo, when most folks would be shooting some kind of expanding bullet that would become severely deformed and may fragment as well.

Nice the way he lists the NRA as one of his friends on his Myspace page, wonder if the NRA knows he's claiming them as one of his friends? I'll be sure.

I guess the next step would be to ban all but FMJ ammo. I'm actually surprized they haven't already... scary stuff

HowardW56
01-24-2010, 4:42 PM
Found this on CL.

Los Angeles

E-bay has the item as being removed.....

M. Sage
01-24-2010, 4:45 PM
I'm going with "fake".

pullnshoot25
01-24-2010, 5:03 PM
Cheezy animation, crappy voice, stupid idea.

May the person that conjured up this crap be haunted with dreams of hot tubbing with Janet Reno and Barbara Boxer.

HowardW56
01-24-2010, 5:09 PM
May the person that conjured up this crap be haunted with dreams of hot tubbing with Janet Reno and Barbara Boxer.

Sounds like a nightmare to me..... YUK!!!!!

Meplat
01-24-2010, 5:18 PM
This crap really steams me! Will it never stop? Barrel marks are already readable, breechblock signature is already readable, firing pin, extractor, and ejector markings are readable, and, just like micro stamps or bar codas, all are easily altered. The only possible reason for this nonsense is to make shooting more expensive and difficult. :mad:

Kharn
01-24-2010, 6:38 PM
Check out Glock's 'Miami barrels', polygonal rifling does not let the lab easily figure out which officer fired each bullet so they add grooves to make each barrel unique at the department's request.

ldivinag
01-24-2010, 7:46 PM
i'm putting in a patent for a Dna bUllet Mechanism/Machinery And Special Service, or DUMMASS for short... (pateny pending)

every single round you buy, you must insert a form of your DNA into both the brass and the ammo itself.

the machine will be rather cheap. what will be expensive will be the firearm, or rather retrofit kit needed to make sure nothing gets fired without the needed DNA...

shouldnt raise the price of a new firearm more than $300...

[/sarcasm]

obeygiant
01-24-2010, 8:14 PM
I'm going with "fake".

It may indeed be a fake but there are several sites that have information on it.

http://www.ammunitionaccountability.org/Technology.htm
http://www.ammocoding.com/index.php
http://www.policeone.com/police-products/firearms/accessories/press-releases/90639-Ammunition-Coding-System-A-Revolutionary-Way-to-Identify-Bullets/
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/10/14/business/patents-tense-times-making-ballistics-forensics-more-accurate-putting-tiny-bar.html?pagewanted=1
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/6462302/description.html
http://www.seattleweekly.com/2008-03-05/news/three-seattle-guys-want-to-bar-code-bullets.php

obeygiant
01-24-2010, 8:17 PM

np, I should've put a smiley on the end of that sentence. ;)

Cokebottle
01-24-2010, 8:49 PM
Umm....

No comment :(

M. Sage
01-24-2010, 9:43 PM
You can "friend" anybody on Facebook.

artherd
01-24-2010, 11:54 PM
surprised ebay allows a firearms related auction on their site.

They don't.

383green
01-24-2010, 11:58 PM
You can "friend" anybody on Facebook.

I think you meant Myspace. You can't friend people in Facebook without their approval.

Bhobbs
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
I was watching a video were a guy with some lapping compound removed all identifying marks from a pistol in 10 minutes by going through the same procedure as cleaning. He gave a bullet fired before and one after the process to a ballistician and the ballistician concluded that two different pistols fired the two bullets.

Curtis
01-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Based on CSI, you should be able to just spit on each bullet as you load your mags. No retrofit required.

i'm putting in a patent for a Dna bUllet Mechanism/Machinery And Special Service, or DUMMASS for short... (pateny pending)

every single round you buy, you must insert a form of your DNA into both the brass and the ammo itself.

the machine will be rather cheap. what will be expensive will be the firearm, or rather retrofit kit needed to make sure nothing gets fired without the needed DNA...

shouldnt raise the price of a new firearm more than $300...

[/sarcasm]

45DAVID1
01-25-2010, 11:17 AM
What would be the penalty for altering/removing the barcodes/micro-prints?:)

okimreloaded
01-26-2010, 12:36 AM
The penalty would be nothing if they don't catch you. HA

Uhhh yeah I highly doubt you'd get a readable image from a bullet after it expanded and fragmented. You could always just buy an aftermarket barrel without barcoding technology or spend a few minutes with some abrasive materials and remove any stupid markings. Besides, doesn't this technology already exist? W/o of course the huge database and the bullet fingerprints.

Thing is, the more data you have to mine, the more inefficient the system becomes. You can have all the data in the world but if your system can't process it, then it does you no good.

Cokebottle
01-26-2010, 1:39 AM
Thing is, the more data you have to mine, the more inefficient the system becomes. You can have all the data in the world but if your system can't process it, then it does you no good.
That's what cracks me up when people get all :TFH: over cameras in public places and other similar technology.

Yes, it has the potential to be abused, but in the big picture, every phone call, email, and private conversation could be recorded, and you'd have to do something to draw attention to yourself.
No, I'm not advocating elimination of 4A/5A on the grounds of "if I'm not doing anything wrong"... but it's a simple matter of, for one thing, the government being inefficient in anything they do... there's simply too much data out there for them to be concerned with your pillow talk.

That was the whole idea behind Carnivore... filter out the gibberish and flag only communications that contained key words for more in-depth analysis. Probably 99% of "hits" generated by that program were never reviewed by a human.

To be "useful", data must be efficiently cataloged and indexed.