PDA

View Full Version : SUPERIOR lower are they good quality

Shoot-it
01-02-2006, 12:39 PM
I wanted too know what you gun nutz think about superior and have you had any problems with them.Does all the holes line up are they mil spec,do they match most uppers,etc??........:rolleyes:

Gunner1
01-02-2006, 1:34 PM
I just looked at a superior lower and it looked very nice, It was just a comparison with a stripped lower but there was a noticable lack of machine marks compared to say a Vulcan lower. Based on a side by side visual comparison with a Stag,Vulcan and the Superior I would rate the superior every bit as good as the Stag. I am glad that I have both locked up though.

Gunner

bwiese
01-02-2006, 2:35 PM
Brand of lowers is irrelevant now. The clock is ticking - fast.

If you are worrying about specific brands, you are worrying about the wrong thing.

In fact, I would think some 'secure group buys' being arranged in different areas may not even disclose the brand of lower to the buyers until 4473/DROS are filled out.

Any off-list lower you get will allow for an accurate, functional rifle.

On the AR platform the lower doesn't do much work. As long as the hammer & trigger and pivot and detent pins have the right relationship to the magwell and the rear lug for the receiver extension, it's all good. Issues with lowers in the early 1990s are really not issues any more.

Gunner1
01-02-2006, 3:52 PM
Guys I have to agree with Bill on this one. I have been working on Ar's since the days when Sendra and PWA were about all that were available other than colt. The quality of fit and finish is much better than the days of Purple PWA'S SGW receivers that they forgot to drill holes in for detent pins.
Really just get something while you can, Hell I even have four stripped Vulcan lowers that work and fit great. I paid $90.00ea for these and have built one with no problems at all, fits and functions as well as my Stag. Not as pretty though.

Gunner

Shoot-it
01-02-2006, 6:49 PM
Bill and Gunner
Thanks for the replys I do have 2 superior coming in pick up is friday.I asked about them because all I read about in these forums is Stag Stag Stag Deer head etc,etc.I just wanted too read something good about sup......:)

shootm
01-02-2006, 7:22 PM
:) I wanted too know what you gun nutz think about superior and have you had any problems with them.Does all the holes line up are they mil spec,do they match most uppers,etc??........:rolleyes:
I just Drosed two and they are very good quality. There is a difference in the finish though. I have 4 different brand ( Sta, Ful, Sup, Dub. S. ) lowers and the finish is different on all 4. When I say finish I mean the shade, texture, and the drgree of gloss to the finish. I did some reasearch before I bought the lowers. And Superior is the only one that has an extra hole taped for a screw next to the grip screw hole. The reason? It's for a trigger stop screw. You will only find this done on high end custom 15's. There is only 1 other company that does this and they reatail for $325 - $350 and the lowers are milled. :)

Shoot-it
01-02-2006, 10:33 PM
Your right about the trigger stop screw i forgot about that i just got done reading about that in ar15.com some guy was talking about adjusting the trigger on the superior.I am not sure how that works yet iam thinking maybe it takes the play out of the trigger.:)

x2delight
01-02-2006, 11:13 PM
i dros'd 3 today.. i couldnt decide so i ended up getting all of themm

Superior
Rock River Arms
Lauer

so we shall see.

shootm
01-02-2006, 11:47 PM
Your right about the trigger stop screw i forgot about that i just got done reading about that in ar15.com some guy was talking about adjusting the trigger on the superior.I am not sure how that works yet iam thinking maybe it takes the play out of the trigger.:)
The trigger stop screw works like the one they install on the high end 1911 style pistols. Or usually when you get a custom trigger job done. The trigger stops just as the hammer disengauges the sear. This is called : Over travel. If you get the Superior receiver you don't have to use it if you don't want to. It's just another option in the receiver. If you get a Match Trigger for any ar it will have a trigger stop. That's why a match trigger cost quite a bit more than the standard trigger.