PDA

View Full Version : Computer Help, give me a hand!

Caplee01
01-24-2010, 2:25 AM
Hey guys, System restore will not work, not under safemode, safemode commandprompt....anything system is extremely groggy and i deleted the virus/trojan but still seems like there are some bugs left creeping around that my program cant pick up. Assistance needed!

Starscream
01-24-2010, 2:28 AM
Might have to reformat.

ldivinag
01-24-2010, 8:13 PM
if you have access to a very virus free/clean machine, go buy a $15-25 device that lets you hook up either an IDE or SATA hd and turns it into a USB drive. works with either 3.5" (dekstop) or 2.5" (laptop) drives.

then connect to the known clean machine and scan the dirty drive.

that way, the virus isnt "running" can then can be cleaned off...

otherwise, if you just keep booting into the dirty machine over and over, no anti virus program will work since the virus is "fooling" it...

ldivinag
01-24-2010, 8:14 PM
btw, Microsoft's FREE security suite is actually good.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/?mkt=en-us

MA2
01-24-2010, 11:00 PM
system restore, so windows xp?
open up task manager, under performance, in the cpu usage, is it constantly at 100%?

Also go to msconfig (click on start, then run, in the prompt, type in msconfig), and click on the startup tab, go ahead and disable all. Also look in the services tab, and disable as needed...reboot.

sometimes you will need to manually delete the (exe file?) virus/spyware.

JDay
01-25-2010, 2:42 AM
Try running sfc from inside safe mode, it'll fix any corrupted system files.

Start, run, sfc /scannow

Asmodai
01-25-2010, 2:27 PM
get "hijackthis" off of www.cnet.com

It'll show you all kinds of stuff that is running in the background. You can delete stuff using msconfig and also delete suspicious files that it shows running.

Your safest bet, back up docs, emails, outlook .pst files, etc.. and then reformat the drive and do a fresh install.

On your fresh install use windows defender and nod32 antivirus and you'll be good to go. AND ALWAYS UPDATE WINDOWS at update.microsoft.com