PDA

View Full Version : Giving gun from sister to brother

justbill5789
01-23-2010, 2:57 PM
I know about the whole father to son transfer, but what about from sister to brother? My sister has a pistol. Can she just give me or sell me the pistol? If so, what must I do to legally to transfer the pistol from her to me?

dantodd
01-23-2010, 2:59 PM
no. She must either transfer via an FFL or transfer to one of your parents and then they can transfer to you. (This is assuming that all involved are CA residents)

justbill5789
01-23-2010, 3:16 PM
How do we transfer from a sister to a parent and then a parent to a son?

Quiet
01-23-2010, 3:33 PM

Is everyone involved a CA resident?

justbill5789
01-23-2010, 5:12 PM
Yes, everyone in CA.

pepsi2451
01-23-2010, 5:15 PM
Since its a handgun there is a $19 fee even for parent to child transfers, since you would need to transfer it twice it would be $38. It would be cheaper just to PPT it but then you have the 10 day wait.

ETA - If you transfer it to/from a parent you need to fill this out. http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

dantodd
01-23-2010, 6:45 PM
It is $19 plus another $25 (I think) to get an HSC (handgun safety certificate) anyone who has a handgun transferred to them, or borrows a handgun, must get an HSC. You can take the test at a local licensed firearm dealer.

GMG
01-23-2010, 7:34 PM
This I'm sure has been covered.

How to transfer a OLL to a son?

Thanks for any info!

ke6guj
01-23-2010, 7:40 PM
This I'm sure has been covered.

How to transfer a OLL to a son?

Thanks for any info!
Assuming that the OLL is not in an AW configuration, and that both parent and son are CA-residents, it would go something like this:

Father: Son, here's a present for you.
Son: Gee, thanks Pops.

Done. Thats it. No dealer needed, no intrafamily registration form needed.

TripleT
01-23-2010, 9:31 PM
No dealer needed, no intrafamily registration form needed.

That's a fact,,, Jack ! :D

GrizzlyGuy
01-24-2010, 7:43 AM
That's a fact,,, Jack ! :D

True dat. I'd like to point out that my signature line is not targeted at that Jack. Dat Jack has the facts, doesn't need FAQs (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ). :D

Mssr. Eleganté
01-24-2010, 3:02 PM
Yes, everyone in CA.

As pepsi2451 already pointed out above, bouncing a brother to sister handgun transfer off of your parent is more expensive than doing a PPT at a dealer. $38 versus $35. If your parent doesn't already have an HSC then you have to add another $25 and a trip to a gunshop for your parent to take the HSC test.

Bouncing a brother to sister handgun transfer off of your parent also takes much longer than a PPT. With a PPT you only have to wait 10 days to pick up the handgun. But using two separate intrafamilial transfers can take months if you want the handgun registered correctly. CalDOJ often takes three months or more to process an intrafamilial handgun transfer report. During that time the forms just get piled up on one lady's desk. If you mail in the second intrafamilial handgun report form before the first one gets processed, it is possible for the two forms to get processed out of order. This could leave the handgun registered to the wrong person in the end.

Bouncing a brother to sister handgun transfer off of your parent is also illegal if you are only doing it to avoid a PPT at a dealer. If your sister wants to give a handgun to her parent, that is perfectly legal. If your parent later wants to give that handgun to you, that is also perfectly legal. But if your sister gives a handgun to her parent for the purpose of that parent giving the handgun to you, then everbody has committed a crime under California law.