PDA

View Full Version : Need FFL to Pick Up guns @ PD in OC

slik442
01-23-2010, 10:42 AM
A friend of mine is the lucky recipient of about 40 or so new (to him) guns. The problem is the person giving them to him had a 5150 hold, now prohibited person, and all of the guns are at the fullerton Police Dept. So we are in need of a FFL willing to pu the guns and handle the transfers. Which FFL's locally are willing to pu at the PD.

Thanks,
-Erik

tenpercentfirearms
01-23-2010, 10:48 AM
You will want to call the FFLs in the area and see if they are willing to do it. Shop around a bit and you might find a good deal. Be expecting a lot of dealers to say no since this sounds like a rather complicated thing that might not seem to be worth their time.

What is the mix of handguns to long guns? If handguns are they on the CA list? You might have to call the DOJ and see if they are cool with the dealer putting them down as exempt even though it won't technically be a PPT on DROS.

Again, be patient on this one. There are a lot of questions I would have if I were to do it and a lot of them might not be easily answered, making the whole process something I wouldn't want to do for the fun of it and more likely for a decent chunk of change.

Seesm
01-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Just call all the FFL's locally and see who WILL do it and then if you can do a "deal" for all of them...

Maybe a flat few hundred bucks to do it all as a ton of transfers would cost a load of time to do all the paperwork...

kemasa
01-23-2010, 11:49 AM
Where do you want to do the transfers? You have a choice to find a FFL close to Fullerton, which should lower the costs to get the firearms, or closer to where you want to transfer them, so that you don't have to go there twice.

I would check to see if you can do them all as a PPT with the CA DOJ. The main problem with that is if the buyer is not allowed, then all the guns would have to be turned into the police (as I recall). The seller could sign the DROS worksheet and/or DROS form and does not have to have them in his possession. If all the firearms are on the certified list, then I would not do it that way.

I am a bit far, but it might be worth it to do the pickup and transfer.

slik442
01-23-2010, 4:12 PM
Kemasa...the buyer is not a prohibited person. He's got no arrests and is over 21. The guns are a combo of handguns and longuns. Just looking for someone to handle the whole transaction. Give me a call and I can explain the situation and see if we can do some business.

Thanks,
-Erik 310.505.0797

Cagey48
01-23-2010, 5:18 PM
slik take a look at this: http://www.grantboys.com/firearms_services.html

69Mach1
01-23-2010, 5:35 PM
A friend of mine is the lucky recipient of about 40 or so new (to him) guns. The problem is the person giving them to him had a 5150 hold, now prohibited person, and all of the guns are at the fullerton Police Dept. So we are in need of a FFL willing to pu the guns and handle the transfers. Which FFL's locally are willing to pu at the PD.

Thanks,
-Erik

Wow, 40! Give T&A Armory a call. They're in Santa Ana, on Harbor Blvd. I've done many transactions there and they are very cool guys. Open 7 days a week also.
http://tandaarmory.com/

tenpercentfirearms
01-24-2010, 6:23 AM
I would check to see if you can do them all as a PPT with the CA DOJ. The main problem with that is if the buyer is not allowed, then all the guns would have to be turned into the police (as I recall). The seller could sign the DROS worksheet and/or DROS form and does not have to have them in his possession. If all the firearms are on the certified list, then I would not do it that way.

Smart thinking. That way you could lump all of the long guns together in one DROS and then would just have to do each handgun on its own.

You just have to convince an FFL that he wants to go pick the guns up from the PD instead of having them brought in by the seller. Which on paper would look no different than if the seller had brought them in. Or would it? Would you put in your A&D the PD or the seller? You might want to call the ATF on that one. And if you logged them in from the PD and not the seller, would they still be PPTs?

Have the seller go with you to the PD and then technically you would be receiving them from the seller, I guess.

Again, this one is tricky. You might want to just use kemasa if he will do it and make the drive to him twice. The odds of getting a random FFL to jump on it are probably slim. Good luck.

kemasa
01-24-2010, 8:07 AM
You need to log that you received the firearms from the PD. I checked that in the past. The firearms are still "owned" by the seller though, but it is a good idea to check with the CA DOJ to make sure that they don't have an issue with doing it as a PPT.

Even though the firearms are picked up from the PD, you are still technically getting them from the seller since the seller has to give approval to the PD to allow for the pickup.

The fun thing is doing all the handgun DROS all at once as it saves money too, but depending on how many handguns, it could take quite some time. Lots of paperwork in any case.

mrkubota
01-24-2010, 8:20 AM
you might want to give Al Burghard a call too.. He's in Westminster. (just found out he's out of town for a few weeks though...)
He's also an authorized 'assault weapon' dealer in case there are any surprises in the lot...

res05g5b@verizon.net

OCArmory
01-25-2010, 8:01 AM
I have done a couple of these. You need to have his attorney submit a temporary power of attorney for the FFL doing the transfer. That way the dealer can sign the PPT form. Feel free to call if you have any questions.
Mike

45DAVID1
01-25-2010, 8:49 AM
The proccess for a FFL to pick-up weapons at a PD is very simple. They make arrangements with the case agent in charge of the case. That case agent fills out a gun release with the FFL's name. That FFL then calls the Property Room to schedule a firearms release appointment. The FFL brings in a copy of their FFL and voila... guns get handed over.

kemasa
01-25-2010, 12:29 PM
I would think that the power of attorney is only needed if the person can not sign for themself. It is not needed for pickup, at least not with LAPD, where the person who owns the firearms needs to sign a document with the police allowing for the pickup of the firearms by the FFL.

Submitting the transfer as a PPT is a different, but important issue, which would need to be addressed after the firearms are picked up.

cntrolsguy
01-25-2010, 12:32 PM
Call Don at Straigtline Tactical in Anaheim. He will bend over backwards to help out a customer as he did for me this weekend.

714-998-8886

SVT-40
01-27-2010, 8:49 PM
I have done a couple of these. You need to have his attorney submit a temporary power of attorney for the FFL doing the transfer. That way the dealer can sign the PPT form. Feel free to call if you have any questions.
Mike

Actually no attorneys are needed for the firearms power of attorney. Here is a link to the form, and instructions on how to properly utilize the form.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/sb950frm1107.pdf

As far as costs go. The FFL will probably charge a "per firearm" fee for his time and trouble. Probably around $25.00 each. In addition someone will have to pay the applicable DROS fees for each handgun, and a DROS for all the long guns together.

So it probably will not be cheap.

OCArmory
01-28-2010, 9:04 AM
The last couple I did the property room wanted to see a power of attorney form before they would release the firearms. The most recent one was Murrieta.

T&A Armory
01-28-2010, 12:24 PM
RESOLVED

T&A ARMORY

69Mach1
01-28-2010, 1:32 PM
Mr. Steele,
You have signed a written contract with our FFL and we are unable to get a hold of you to assist you.

T&A ARMORY

Crap! That's just not right. I hope he left a deposit.

tenpercentfirearms
01-28-2010, 4:17 PM
Crap! That's just not right. I hope he left a deposit.

For you consumers in the room, do you see why some dealers are hesitant to take on projects like this?