PDA

View Full Version : AZ to CA...a couple of questions (halp, I'm igerant)

Hector
01-23-2010, 10:57 AM
I've recently been transferred to the great state of California due to my lovely employer. My home (and family) is still in Arizona and I'm currently looking for a house to buy here. Here's my questions:

1. Can I buy a firearm in California if I just get a California ID card? I don't want to give up my AZ driver's license (yet). If yes, is it a problem to use a card where the billing address is Arizona?

2. If I bring a 357 revolver from AZ, do I need to register it here? How would I do that (if required). I do realize that it needs to be transported unloaded in a locked container when in CA.

3. Last question...and I kind of already know the answer. I have a concealed carry

In my state, we don't register firearms, just an instant background check and a form "4473".

Help?

loather
01-23-2010, 11:12 AM
1. You need to be a qualified California resident to purchase firearms in this state and have a valid California address -- I believe there is an amount of time you have to have been in the state, as well. I think this may be 30 days, but I'd have to double-check that number. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The billing address on your credit card doesn't matter as this information is never sent to DOJ. Also keep in mind that there's a 10-day "cooling off" period when buying new firearms in CA. That is, you go and buy your gun and it stays locked up at the dealer for 10 days before you can pick it up.

2. You do need to register it using the voluntary handgun registration form. This costs $19 per handgun. Only handguns need to be registered in CA. Don't let the "voluntary" part of the registration form fool you: registration is mandatory within 60 days of crossing the state borders with intent to relocate. You can get this form from the CA DOJ's website.

3. Your concealed carry permit from AZ is not valid at all within the state of California. And, depending on to what county you're moving into, you may have a difficult time getting a California permit, if able to at all.

ETA: Also note that if you own any long guns that are AR-15-, AK-47-, or SKS-style, you need to look at the Assault Weapons Flowchart, Kasler List, and Roberti-Roos AWB to ensure your rifles aren't listed by name and/or feature. AR-15 and AK-47 rifles are usually OK if you use a magazine lock device and a magazine less than ten rounds unless they're actually banned by name/model. If that's the case they can't be brought into the state as they're banned assault weapons. Some SKS, regardless of configuration, are also on the list and banned. Also, weapons chambered in .50 BMG are now covered as assault weapons, so you won't be able to bring any of those in, either. I know ... lots of things to worry about.

ETA: You cannot import large-capacity magazines (>10 rounds capacity) into the state of California unless that magazine had previously been in California prior to the LCM ban (in 1998?). So, leave any large magazines with a friend in AZ, if you do have them.

Anyways, you've certainly come to the right place to ask these questions! Welcome to Calguns and welcome to California. :)

Cokebottle
01-23-2010, 11:15 AM
1. Can I buy a firearm in California if I just get a California ID card? I don't want to give up my AZ driver's license (yet). If yes, is it a problem to use a card where the billing address is Arizona?
California defines "residency" as when you obtain employment or housing.
"Residency" requires that your vehicle registration, insurance, and DL be California.
And yes, California has different definitions for "residency" depending on the situation. For DMV, it's basically immediate... for students, it takes a year and a day.
2. If I bring a 357 revolver from AZ, do I need to register it here? How would I do that (if required). I do realize that it needs to be transported unloaded in a locked container when in CA.
Yes. Basic registration (and background check), $19.
3. Last question...and I kind of already know the answer. I have a concealed carry
Yup... not valid in CA.
Depending on the county you are moving to, it may or may not be "easy" to obtain a California CCW. I'm using "easy" as a relative term here... it's still a 3-8 month process, and it simply ain't gonna' happen in some counties.
The CA permit is issued by the county, but it IS a state-wide permit, so if you get a permit issued in San Bernardino, you can legally carry in Los Angeles (where you don't get a permit unless you're an actor or politician).

Definitely keep the AZ permit, and since AZ recognizes dual residency (California does not), you should have no problem keeping it and using it in AZ and the other permitted states.

Hector
01-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Thank you Loather.

I didn't plan to buy one of these neutered CA handguns, and certainly can't bring in a "more than" 10 round mag gun, so...I though the revolver was a good alternative.

Until I'm settled here with the family, maybe I'll just bring back the Remington 870. No reg required for that, right?

I kind of knew about the CCW part. Hopefully, I'll just avoid the troubled spots and make some money here. If it's permanent, I'll probably have a lot more questions or have to sell some weapons in AZ before relocating fully.

NiteQwill
01-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Neutered CA handguns? Other than mag capacity, CA guns are just the same. :confused:

Long guns are not registered. Bring your 870.

Depending on which county you live in, a CCW may be easy (or hard) to get.

bulgron
01-23-2010, 11:24 AM
I've recently been transferred to the great state of California due to my lovely employer. My home (and family) is still in Arizona and I'm currently looking for a house to buy here. Here's my questions:

You're going to have to prove residency in CA in order to buy a firearm. When I buy a firearm, I end up providing both a CA DL as well as my vehicle registration slip.

There might be a way to prove residency without those documents, but I've never tried to do it and I don't know anyone who has.

Registration is not, I believe, required for firearms transferred from out of state. However, there's a lot of caveats to that. For example, if you did decide to carry your pistol concealed and without a permit, it is two misdemeanors if you get caught, but it quickly becomes a felony if the pistol is not registered. I also don't know what the rules are for transferring pistols into the state that aren't on the California Handgun Roster. In kind of a foggy way, I think you can do it, but I don't know if registration is required.

I'm sure other people around here can give you a better answer than me.

Frankly, if I was you, I'd just find a different job so that you can stay in AZ. There is almost nothing in California that's headed in the right direction, especially economically. We might fix some of our gun laws so that we can get rid of the roster, can get CCWs, etc, but honestly that's just putting a fresh coat of paint on worm-rotted wood.

Over the next few years I fully expect taxes in this state to sky rocket. For that reason alone, run away.

If you choose the county you decide to live in carefully, you can get a CCW. See this (http://www.calccw.com/Forums/county-faq/7158-county-map-california-ccw-issuance.html) map for details.

In my state, we don't register firearms, just an instant background check and a form "4473".

Help?

In CA, when you buy a firearm it is automatically registered. There's also a background check, and something called a "DROS fee" that you've probably never heard of before. We also just passed a law that shuts down internet orders for handgun ammo, and forces you to give up a finger print when you buy handgun ammo. However, there's nothing to prevent you from stocking up on ammo in AZ and then driving it into the state. We also think we can get the "no internet sales" restriction thrown out in federal court due to interstate commerce issues.

If you do move to California, make sure that you become involved with one of the pro-gun political action groups in this state. CalGuns is good. Or hook up with your local NRA Members' Council if there is one in the area where you're going to live.

You're moving from a free state to behind the iron curtain. There ought to be some kind of support group for that.

bulgron
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
2. You do need to register it using the voluntary handgun registration form. This costs $19 per handgun. Only handguns need to be registered in CA. Don't let the "voluntary" part of the registration form fool you: registration is mandatory within 60 days of crossing the state borders with intent to relocate. You can get this form from the CA DOJ's website.

Please explain how the voluntary handgun registration form is actually mandatory.

Librarian
01-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Please explain how the voluntary handgun registration form is actually mandatory.

Loather mis-named the form; it should be "New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf)" and it's not voluntary.

GrizzlyGuy
01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
From DOJ FAQ page: I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements? (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.php#24)

Lone_Gunman
01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Now leaving The United States Of America.

Welcome to The Peoples Republic of California.

littlejake
01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Two items to add.

Technically, I believe you cannot have both an AZ driver's license and a CA ID card. DMV will ask for your current ID and confiscate it.

Second, to clarify a point on 10 rounds. With the exception of certain tubular magazines for lever action rifles and .22 rimfires -- the 10 round capacity limit applies to any ammunition feed device including links, speedloaders, whatever can be considered an ammunition feed device.

dustoff31
01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
Two items to add.

Technically, I believe you cannot have both an AZ driver's license and a CA ID card.

Yes, you can.

DMV will ask for your current ID and confiscate it.

If you get a DL they will take/cancel out your out of state DL.

Hector
01-24-2010, 8:39 AM
That's correct. I now have a Ca ID card, but still have my AZ driver's license. Unless the whole family moves here, I'm not getting a DL here.

At present, my ID is an apartment address, but I do pay the utility bills, so I guess I could use that to prove residency.

The difference between my Glock 17 and a California Glock 17 is about 9 rounds. (10 rounds here and 19 rounds in my G17+2 mags in AZ). Having to buy magazines for every gun I have would be a bummer. So would the $19 fee per handgun. Boo on Ca.

I will bring the 870 next weekend. It's a good HD compromise and I'm not going to be carrying concealed here anytime soon so no need for a pistol at this time.

Man, you sure do have a lot of laws here!

Last question: Can you be fined for spitting in the gutter in public? (I'm sick right now and coughing up all kinds of nasty)

Quiet
01-24-2010, 8:55 AM
Last question: Can you be fined for spitting in the gutter in public? (I'm sick right now and coughing up all kinds of nasty)

There are no state laws that prohibits this activity.

However, you may have to check with your local (city) ordinances.
It's okay in SoCal, but not sure about NorCal.