PDA

View Full Version : dry firing a 10/22?

tacorican
01-22-2010, 10:48 PM
I just picked up a 10/22 and accidentally dry fired it several times. Would that cause any damage?

SVPRApps
01-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I just picked up a 10/22 and accidentally dry fired it several times. Would that cause any damage?

yes...try not to dry fire a rim fire too much.

MrClamperSir
01-22-2010, 10:54 PM

That part struck me as funny.

Anyways I was always told NOT to do that but I did it anyways (as I was a kid). Never managed to do any damage that effected the function, as I fired a gazillion round throughout it's life and it's still kicking.

But try not to make a habit out of it accidentally doing it over and over again.

trob
01-24-2010, 6:46 PM

think about how many times 10/22's get dry fired in their lives.... every time you empty a magazine you dry fire unless you happen to count the rounds as you fire them. Ive never heard of even one instance where it actually hurt something.

yea, i dont try to do it all the time. But you shouldnt worry about it. And NO, there is absolutely no chance that you hurt anything in your gun by dry firing several times.

Anyways I was always told NOT to do that but I did it anyways (as I was a kid). Never managed to do any damage that effected the function, as I fired a gazillion round throughout it's life and it's still kicking.

But try not to make a habit out of it accidentally doing it over and over again.

Agreed....it's no big deal but i wouldnt sit there and dry fire all day long.

ojisan
01-24-2010, 6:57 PM
10/22s can be safely dry-fired with no worries.

Many .22s should not be dry fired.
For some .22s, the firing pin will break if it hits the rear of the barrel enough times.
Or, peening of the barrel face down into the chamber mouth can also be caused by repeated firing pin strikes.
For .22s where the firing pin touched the barrel, try to avoid dry firing as much as possible.

The Ruger 10/22's firing pin's travel is limited so it never hits the barrel.
This is why it can be safely dry-fired.

XDRoX
01-24-2010, 7:16 PM

I hope these are jokes.

Dry fire the hell out of it. Won't hurt nothing.

Seesm
01-24-2010, 7:19 PM
I dry fire mine and each time little by little my trigger feels even better... DO it man.. Just do it...

supersteve9219
02-01-2010, 10:39 PM

For some .22s, the firing pin will break if it hits the rear of the barrel enough times.
Or, peening of the barrel face down into the chamber mouth can also be caused by repeated firing pin strikes.
For .22s where the firing pin touched the barrel, try to avoid dry firing as much as possible.

10/22 - Dry fire it all the time, won't hurt anything, the firing pin is locked in place by another pin that prevents it from traveling far enough to hit the barrel.

Other .22's - Depends on the gun, some guns are safe to dry fire, others could be damaged, there is no rule that covers all .22's concerning dry firing.

Btw, how do you accidentally dry fire a gun multiple times lol

Seesm
02-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Everytime I see one of these come up I go to my safe and pull out all the 10/22's and I dry fire them on PURPOSE, and I do it ALOT!!

SgtJT27
02-02-2010, 4:01 PM
Everytime I see one of these come up I go to my safe and pull out all the 10/22's and I dry fire them on PURPOSE, and I do it ALOT!!

:rofl2:

Erg
07-11-2010, 11:05 AM
LOL...accidently several times. ;)

Pin makes contact with the rim...no rim...little to no contact.

Dry fire away!

eville
07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
I accidentally dry fire mine on the 26th shot out of my 25 round mags.
I count to 10 and 15 really well. Somehow i usually miss making it to 25 with the 10/22

evolixsurf
09-26-2010, 10:03 PM
Pull out your manual and see what it says. I am pretty sure my SR-22 said dry firing was acceptable.

scuds03
09-27-2010, 2:12 AM
Ur 10/22 is fine...Its just generally a bad habbit to get into because some guns out there can be damaged by dry firing.

standsalone
09-27-2010, 3:13 AM
a rimfire with the proper protrusion of the firing pin will have no issues with dry fire.
if it has too much protrusion , fix it and dry fire away.
any gun you can damage by dry firing should be avoided...

MongooseV8
09-27-2010, 7:23 PM
Uh so where are the pictures for this thread? I think it might be lost? :p

hypnoman
09-28-2010, 8:00 AM
any gun you can damage by dry firing should be avoided...

a gun that you can't dry fire is no fun at all!

BayAreaShooter
09-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Like said before your bolt does not lock back after the last round so I am assuming Ruger though Hey this gun is going to be dry fired a lot so lets make it ok to do so. You should always function test after breaking down you gun's as well and unless you own snap caps that means dry firing. O wait who cleans there 10/22's anyways. :D

Ar180shooter
09-29-2010, 8:06 PM

Yep. I'm pretty sure they even tell you in the users manual that it will not damage the gun if you dry fire it.

jbush
10-27-2010, 6:28 PM
I've got an old manual in front of me, and can't see where it says it's ok to dry fire, but there's a couple references about just removing the magazine won't unload the gun and checking the chamber to make sure it's unloaded before you pull the trigger. Sounds like they expect you to dry fire.

chickenfried
10-27-2010, 6:35 PM
I agree that it's a good rule in general not to dry fire .22's until you can find more info about the specific firearm.

More info about the specific firearm :p
With the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, push the safety to the “off”
position and pull the trigger to decock it. The rifle can be “dry fired” for
practice as long as it is empty and pointed in a safe direction.
The trigger of the Target version of the RUGER® 10/22® has a lighter, target
trigger pull than standard 10/22 rifles and carbines, for more precise placement of
shots. You should practice “dry-firing” an empty rifle (with it pointing in a safe
direction) to learn the “feel” of the trigger before ever loading it with ammunition.
http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/1022.pdf