PDA

View Full Version : Kel Tec....anyone? anyone? Buehler???

sherm2954
01-22-2010, 5:53 PM
I just got my ccw permit, but I have a Glock 23 and I'm wondering about buying a more easily concealed pistol on my limited budget...anyone have experience with the Kel Tec product line? I almost bought an SU16CA, but couldn't find one, so I went with a Saiga...but I find the KT interesting...
Thanks in advance for any wisdom...

MrClamperSir
01-22-2010, 10:17 PM
I have a Kel-Tec 9mm. It's EASY to conceal carry but it's long squeeze on the trigger each and every time you shoot. If you can get used to that then you're GTG. I have never had any other problems with it and I have had and shot this pistol for 12 years.

ETA: There was a "break in" period with the first 250 rounds or so. A lot of FTF which I was told was pretty typical for a subcompact. After the first few hundred round it performed excellent.

The Original Godfather
01-23-2010, 12:03 AM
Buehler...Buehler...Buehler...

PonchoTA
01-23-2010, 12:53 AM
I've got both the P-11 and PF-9, and both are fantastic for pocket carry.

Will probably sell the P-11 soon to keep it here in Cali.

Great guns, especially for the price.

Quiet
01-23-2010, 6:56 AM
I pocket carry a Kel-Tec P-32 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.
I've even put it in a zip-lock bag and went swiming with it. :p

Great pistol, extremely lightweight with decent accuracy and reliability.

Problem with Kel-Tecs are they are not on the approved list, so they sell for a premium in CA when they pop up for sale via PPT.

VictorFranko
01-23-2010, 7:29 AM
Six more days and I will have my SU-16B!

Blademan21
01-23-2010, 7:31 AM
Save your money and buy a Glock 26. Smaller, and easier to shoot and ammo is cheaper than for the G23. You aleady know the Glock platform, so why would you want a Kel-Tec? My $.02.

VegasND
01-23-2010, 8:14 AM
I carry a PF-9, it conceals easily and is more powerful than a .380 -- few .380s are smaller than the PF-9. I have a P3AT and the 9 is so easy to conceal I almost never carry the .380 any more.

After a bit more than 1200 rounds I sent my first PF-9 back to KelTec for repairs which were covered completely. While they are very light I don't consider them durable. I have 2 so if I need to send one off for service the other is available to carry. If it weren't for Nevada listing handguns by make/model on the permit I'd have probably bought something other than a 2nd PF-9.

I like their products okay, and feel the quality is acceptable but low. I'd like to play with a carbine, but they seem so flimsy...

I will probably pick up the new .22 mag pistol to play with when they show up (and hope it won't be a Grendel repeat).

JBird33
01-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Save your money and buy a Glock 26. Smaller, and easier to shoot and ammo is cheaper than for the G23. You aleady know the Glock platform, so why would you want a Kel-Tec? My $.02.

Glock 26 is still a big chunk of gun, compared to a KT. Having a really small pistol for CCW is a must as far as I'm concerned. I have a G29 on my permit, but I also have a Kahr on it. Thinness means a lot, and that is where Glock loses.

Blademan21
01-24-2010, 2:27 PM
Glock 26 is still a big chunk of gun, compared to a KT. Having a really small pistol for CCW is a must as far as I'm concerned. I have a G29 on my permit, but I also have a Kahr on it. Thinness means a lot, and that is where Glock loses.

Yeah , but the KT is not Glock reliable. Did you not read what VegasND wrote? I have heard the same from too many other KT owners. What ever flips your cookie.

sg916
01-24-2010, 4:34 PM
In 380 I own a P3At, LCP, and Sig 238.

My review of P3AT vs LCP: P3AT is my overall choice. It has a crappier finish than the LCP and no slide lock. It does have more color options available :D. Both are finicky with ammo especially with hollow tip ammo.

Having owned 4 P3AT's I've had a bit of experience with it. I definitely recommend a fluff n buff being done. You can send it to Kel Tec and they will do it for free. This will eliminate alot of ammo feeding problems. Sights are almost useless.

Your going to feel the recoil with either gun. I use the Desantis Nemesis holster with both. The Kel Tec belt clip will fit on both guns, it's crap and cuts your hand while shooting, not to mention I think it's an unsafe way to carry.

The Sig P238 is nothing like these two guns, a little heavier and bigger, but by far superior quality.

Now my top choice of a CCW gun is a Kahr PM9 or PM40. They are very slim, accurate, much more comfortable to shoot, and lightweight. My Kahr is carried the most. A coworker just bought the Kahr 380 and it's smaller than my P3AT, feels too small.

Desert_Rat
01-24-2010, 4:43 PM
I have a p3AT on My permit.I only carry it when I'm going to a fundraiser or something like that,when wearing Dockers and in a large,close crowd.The holster I have for it kinda sucks.The holster pops the mag release and the mag gets loose in My pocket.Daily I carry My Glock27,This is the gun I prefer.Once in a blue moon I'll carry My FEG (Browning HP clone)
I enjoy shooting all 3 guns,I just prefer the Glock27.

ojisan
01-24-2010, 4:44 PM
My 1st generation P32: never a problem.
P11: I just had to shorten the slide lock tab a little where it hits the mag follower to clear the wide-mouthed hollow point ammo.
Since then it is 100% reliable.
I strongly recommend the optional trigger shoe for this one...it really helps with the trigger pull.
For both, I do recommend the belt clips kit.
Even if you do not use the belt clips, use the steel replacement cross pins that come with the clips to replace the original plastic cross pins.

I have looked closely at the Kahr PM9 and 40.
The P11 is the same size, holds more ammo, and is lots cheaper.

Trigger shoes and belt clips:
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/cart2/index.php?cPath=2_5

MrClamperSir
01-24-2010, 8:16 PM
I strongly recommend the optional trigger shoe for this one...it really helps with the trigger pull.

This for sure!

curtp11
01-28-2010, 7:10 PM
This one is mine, there are many like it but this one is mine. It is fed from 12 round mags. It goes Bang everytime I pull the trigger. I carry it everyday and 2 extra 12's. It is Very reliable and surprisingly accurate with the extensions on the mags. If you can get them, Buy Them, even with 10 rd. mags they are potent medicine for CCW.

Too Slow
01-29-2010, 3:03 PM
Bersa thunder .380 is one of my carry guns. Thin, light and super relaible. Lifetime warranty as well. They have also just come out with a specific cc version, but I haven't seen one yet. $380 out the door. I also love my LCR if you're into revolvers. Super light, but fairly potent with an HP +p round.

Doheny
01-29-2010, 4:48 PM
Get a J-frame

domeshotjuan2
02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
the kahr pm line is expensive so i would reccomend the cw series i dont own one but i shot a rentalat a local gun range and put 200+ rounds through it in one sitting. it definetley takes some getting use to especially with the combat sights but pricing isnt too bad on the cw series around 450 - 550 i am definetly going to pick one up