PDA

View Full Version : Would this gun lock case be sufficient for California laws?

Massappeal
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Was looking at alternatives to having to store the handgun in the trunk. Would this type of case/lock be sufficient?
http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

Thanks for any info :D

HowardW56
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I don't see why not...

IGOTDIRT4U
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Was looking at alternatives to having to store the handgun in the trunk. Would this type of case/lock be sufficient?
http://www.center-of-mass.com/Store_InCarGunSafe.htm

Thanks for any info :D

Used by a lot of people I know. You're good to go.

PEBKAC
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I can't see why it wouldn't be okay. Pretty much any metal container that actually locks ostensibly preventing access to the gun without unlocking it should be fine...ambiguity typically begins when the container material gets somewhat more flexible.

Elucidus
01-22-2010, 1:03 PM
A double zippered soft case (with zippers locked together), or a zipper that can be tethered somehow via lock would be fine as well.

I'm looking forward to getting a car with a trunk again so that I don't have to deal with creatively locking my range bag.

Massappeal
01-22-2010, 2:10 PM
Good to know fellas! Click purchase! :clap:

antonio
01-22-2010, 2:14 PM
i have a gun vault that i use in my car trunk it's awesome

FastFinger
01-22-2010, 2:15 PM
AS bit OT - it states "Meets Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines for transporting your weapon in your checked luggage when flying."

I thought that if the gun is in a locked suitcase that was enough. Does it need to be in a case inside a suitcase?

Or do they mean that this case by itself, with gun inside, meets TSA standards? Which it looks like it would, although I'd be real hesitant to use a case that small, far too easy to walk off by itself unnoticed.

Massappeal
01-22-2010, 2:49 PM
So with this case it would be fine to have the gun stowed under the seat like the illustration shows? since it is in a locked case or does it still need to be locked in trunk out of driver reach/accessibility?

tac
01-22-2010, 3:14 PM
AS bit OT - it states "Meets Transportation Security Administration (TSA) guidelines for transporting your weapon in your checked luggage when flying."

I thought that if the gun is in a locked suitcase that was enough. Does it need to be in a case inside a suitcase?

Or do they mean that this case by itself, with gun inside, meets TSA standards? Which it looks like it would, although I'd be real hesitant to use a case that small, far too easy to walk off by itself unnoticed.

I believe that what they mean is you can put your gun into this container and toss it into your suitcase.

FastFinger
01-22-2010, 3:16 PM
So with this case it would be fine to have the gun stowed under the seat like the illustration shows? since it is in a locked case or does it still need to be locked in trunk out of driver reach/accessibility?

As long as it's unloaded and in an appropriate locked container (not glove box or center console) you're good to go. The container can even be on your lap. (Insert standard school zone qualifier here.)

mblat
01-22-2010, 3:19 PM
As long as it's unloaded and in an appropriate locked container (not glove box or center console) you're good to go. The container can even be on your lap. (Insert standard school zone qualifier here.)

What school zone has anything to so with it? I am passing probably five school zones on my way to a range. As long as you gun is unloaded and locked you can CARRY it. Let along having it in a car. And CGF had promised to defend you if you would get arrested.

FastFinger
01-22-2010, 3:27 PM
I believe that what they mean is you can put your gun into this container and toss it into your suitcase.

Probably - but if that's the case the suitcase needs to be declared and locked with a non-TSA accessible lock. And there's no requirement that it be in a secondary container.

FastFinger
01-22-2010, 3:29 PM
What school zone has anything to so with it? I am passing probably five school zones on my way to a range. As long as you gun is unloaded and locked you can CARRY it. Let along having it in a car. And CGF had promised to defend you if you would get arrested.

Good point - my mistake. Whack me with the FUD paddle. Think I'll take the next two days off.

Elucidus
01-23-2010, 12:27 AM
You guys remember, you firearm/pistol does not need to be locked in you're going from or to work. same thing when you're going to the range and from the range. No need for a lock, just fyi.

Um, no. Transportation to and from ANYWHERE it needs to be in a locked case, unless you're carrying it concealed legally with a CCW or your transportation occurs 100% on private property with the appropriate permission from owner/manager of property.

Lagduf
01-23-2010, 1:53 AM
Um, no. Transportation to and from ANYWHERE it needs to be in a locked case, unless you're carrying it concealed legally with a CCW or your transportation occurs 100% on private property with the appropriate permission from owner/manager of property.

I thought you could UOC your handgun in your vehicle?

AndrewMendez
01-23-2010, 4:00 AM

The same general rules for UOC apply to in the car. As long as your not within 1000' of a school, your good to go.

Markinsac
01-23-2010, 4:23 AM

The basic rule of thumb is that it must be in a locked hard case. If you have a hard-sided suitcase with a non-TSA lock, then that is sufficient. If you have a soft-sided suitcase, then you need a hard case like what is being discussed with a non-TSA lock that you put into the suitcase, then secure that with a TSA lock.

Also, the guidelines indicate that you should be present whenever the case for the gun is opened so that you can take the key back from the screener. After that point, the suitcase goes into the system with no markings on it to indicate that there is a firearm inside. It just looks like any other piece of luggage.

Elucidus
01-23-2010, 8:30 AM

The same general rules for UOC apply to in the car. As long as your not within 1000' of a school, your good to go.

Yes, both of these are true and I didn't think you had meant UOC with your response.

In my area, schools are frequent and there is little warning about them. When driving through a new-to-me residential area, I frequently find schools I was not previously aware existed, typically just a few blocks off of roads I travel quite frequently. One has to be careful of this when UOC'ing - I know of at least one case where someone has been arrested for this.