PDA

View Full Version : The legalities of inheriting guns…?

Northern Lights
01-22-2010, 1:21 AM
My grandfather passed away recently. He owned a few guns and I’m going to take possession of them; I was wondering if there is anything that I need to do as far as registering them (the pistols) or anything like that. He was in WWII and some of the guns are old, are there any specific laws about “antique” guns? The guns are: Rifles – .30 M1 carbine, .30-30 lever action, and a bolt action .22 Pistols – Walther P.38, and a colt .22 Shotguns – Reminton 1100, Browning auto-5 (A-5), and two 12 gauge side-by-side double barrel shotguns (these are antiques). Needless to say I’m VERY excited to pick them up :D! The P.38 was taken from a German solider/officer (not sure which) by one of my grandfather’s college buddies, (my grandfather was in the Pacific theater) and given to him after the war, so I don’t have any paper work for it… in fact I don’t have any paper work for any of the guns :eek:. Sooo any and all advice is helpful :cool:

Thanks for the help guys!!

Librarian
01-22-2010, 1:24 AM
Only the pistols need any attention - the long guns need nothing.

For pistols (presuming he was a CA resident) file the OpLaw (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form.

Northern Lights
01-22-2010, 1:39 AM
Thanks Librarian. One more q: can I pick up the pistols right away and transport them in my car legally? Or do the OpLaw forms have to be filed and cleared before I can touch them?

btw he was a California resident.

Cokebottle
01-22-2010, 1:48 AM
Thanks Librarian. One more q: can I pick up the pistols right away and transport them in my car legally? Or do the OpLaw forms have to be filed and cleared before I can touch them?

btw he was a California resident.
Go pick them up and enjoy them.
The Oplaw must be completed and sent in within 30 days... $19 per pistol.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-22-2010, 1:49 AM
...can I pick up the pistols right away and transport them in my car legally? Or do the OpLaw forms have to be filed and cleared before I can touch them?

First you need to have a Handgun Safety Certificate. Then you can take possession of the handguns right away. Once you take possession of the handguns you have 30 days to mail the Operation of Law form to CalDOJ. You don't need to wait for clearance from CalDOJ.

Mssr. Eleganté
01-22-2010, 1:53 AM
Go pick them up and enjoy them.
The Oplaw must be completed and sent in within 30 days... $19 per pistol.

Looks like we were typing at the same time. :) But one correction. For the Oplaw form the fee is $19 for any number of handguns. All of the other forms require $19 per handgun.

OlderThanDirt
01-22-2010, 12:34 PM

For pistols (presuming he was a CA resident) file the OpLaw (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form.

I still laugh at this part of the instructions:

Model The model name of the handgun (e.g., 3032 Tomcat, KP95, 17C, Mini 14).

Cokebottle
01-22-2010, 12:37 PM
.50 is 13mm... maybe that's what they mean?

EOD Guy
01-23-2010, 8:23 AM

Since he was an immediate family member under California law, it does not matter if he was a California resident. Both Federal and California law allow transfer without FFL involvement.