PDA

View Full Version : Rock River Arms CAR A4 Kit

Gnote
12-30-2005, 2:31 PM
What do you guys think of this for $660?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR4001&storeid=1&image=kcara4.gif&CFID=2131843&CFTOKEN=53004456

Charliegone
12-30-2005, 3:24 PM
I think its a pretty good darn deal!:D

BigAL
12-30-2005, 3:48 PM
RRA builds good stuff but if I was building an M4gery I would want M4 handguards and the simplicity of the standard trigger since it's meant for in close work.

glock_this
12-30-2005, 3:52 PM
I bought their Entry Tactical setup (very similar). My personal research, as a newbie, is if you cannot afford higher end Colt stuff, RRA is damn good and reliable. so, I went for it myself. As a matter of fact - nearly all my parts are RRA.

BigAL
12-30-2005, 4:05 PM
Also wanted to add RRA uses 4140 chrome moly barrel steel which works well but 4150 has an edge but costs more.

BigAL
12-30-2005, 4:21 PM
Uh, Al...the standard M4 trigger is a bit different....;)

Yeah I guess the auto sear does make a difference.:p :D

bu-bye
12-30-2005, 4:25 PM
Thats the kit I'm getting......when I have the money:(

Gnote
12-30-2005, 5:15 PM
It looks like it doesn't have a rear site. What flip up site would you fokes recommend?

glock_this
12-30-2005, 5:52 PM
RRA carries the GG&G rear flip-up...nice (I have some of the GG&G stuff - also known to be good gear).

On mine, for what it is worth, I am doing the EOTech Dominator mount so I can mount a heads up display sight and it has a rear sight built in also so you can still co-witness right through the EOTech if it fails on you. best of both worlds.

FYI - there is a guy over at ar15.com that is a 20 year seller of RRA gear and has AWESOME prices. legal-transfers is his business name. I got all my gear from him, 5 years history on that board with thousands of posts and tons feedback. He is the RRA guy and I did a lot of reserahc before I ordered.

Gnote
12-30-2005, 6:13 PM
...On mine, for what it is worth, I am doing the EOTech Dominator mount so I can mount a heads up display sight and it has a rear sight built in also so you can still co-witness right through the EOTech if it fails on you. best of both worlds.

FYI - there is a guy over at ar15.com that is a 20 year seller of RRA gear and has AWESOME prices. legal-transfers is his business name. I got all my gear from him, 5 years history on that board with thousands of posts and tons feedback. He is the RRA guy and I did a lot of reserahc before I ordered.

Thanks for the info on the EOTech. If you don't mind me asking, how much did you get the Dominator mount set you back?

glock_this
12-30-2005, 6:18 PM
actually, when you buy the Entry Tactical setup, you select whether you want the Tactical carry handle or the EOTech Dominator mount. As I wanted a heads up display sight, I went with the Dominator mount. So, it came with in the price. BUT, contact that guy at ar15.com as he likely can get the best prices. Look under Equipment Exchange.

Gnote
12-30-2005, 6:26 PM
a... Look under Equipment Exchange.

Will do. I just checked the RRA website and that looks real cool.

BigAL
12-30-2005, 6:29 PM
It looks like it doesn't have a rear site. What flip up site would you fokes recommend?

I run a standard ARMS #40. The L (for low profile) model is nice if you are running a scope that is mounted further rearward on the rail (like an ACOG) and you need the extra clearance. I run an aimpoint in a Larue cantilever mount so I don't have that requirement. Another difference between the two models is the standard model defaults to the large aperature when releases and I think the L model defaults to the small aperature. I haven't had any problems with the mount getting loose either. Make sure you use the reversible loctite if you get a BUIS with a screw adjustment.

I have heard good things about the Troy BUIS b/c it also has a feature to lock it in the up position so I'd prob try that on my next build

82a1
12-30-2005, 8:39 PM
I ordered an RRA kit yesterday. Hopefully, it'll come in next week, so I can start putting my receivers to some use! Getting tired of just using them as paper weights. :D

Gnote
12-30-2005, 9:17 PM
This might be a stupid question but are there any issues with RRA (or the kit) and a stripped Stag lower as far as parts not fitting?

Thanks.

I ordered an RRA kit yesterday. Hopefully, it'll come in next week, so I can start putting my receivers to some use! Getting tired of just using them as paper weights.

That is awesome 82a1! I plan to post pictures when I get my boyfriend's together to. I'm getting him this stuff as a belated Christmas gift.

Gunner1
12-30-2005, 9:24 PM
+1 on the ARMS #40L my agency uses them on all their carbines, They get used hard especially the CAMP guys. I have one on my patrol carbine that get bumped knocked and generally abused with no problems at all. Very nice to shoot with also.

Gunner

Gnote
12-30-2005, 9:25 PM
...This was due to the RRA upper having a slightly wider lug. They may have corrected this. I haven't heard anything for awhile.

Thank you Ted. That is good news.

DrjonesUSA
12-30-2005, 10:44 PM
Do you think they might leave the mag in the package for sales to CA? :D :D

Shoot-it
12-31-2005, 12:21 AM
Nice gun i want the same thing but with a single stage trigger for fast shooting.I was thinking of buying from model1 they are cheaper and i dont have much $ to spend right now it will be my first ar anyway i have too superior lowers on the way pic up Jan 6.:) :) ........

Gnote
12-31-2005, 7:40 AM
I am almost home. Looked over the books last night and secured the funding for this project. Hopefully these will be the last questions.

Should consider a bipod for the kit or do C.A.R.s normally come with out a bipod for a reason other than money? Can a bipod be attached to the kit? If so, is there any mods that need to be done?

I was thinking of a Harris but am open to opinions of those who are more knowledgable.

Thank you all for the help.

TonyM
12-31-2005, 8:30 AM
I am almost home. Looked over the books last night and secured the funding for this project. Hopefully these will be the last questions.

Should consider a bipod for the kit or do C.A.R.s normally come with out a bipod for a reason other than money? Can a bipod be attached to the kit? If so, is there any mods that need to be done?

I was thinking of a Harris but am open to opinions of those who are more knowledgable.

Thank you all for the help.

You could put one one, but normally you wouldn't see that on a 16" Carbine, and you'd probably hear some laughs at the range. ;) They are usually considered to be for "up close" work. If you want something with a bipod I would suggest a 20" or 24" barrel with a short gasblock and a nice fat scope.

BigAL
12-31-2005, 9:17 AM
Should consider a bipod for the kit or do C.A.R.s normally come with out a bipod for a reason other than money?

Like Tony says, they don't come with the kit because they are made to be carried more than shot from a fixed position.

Turbinator
12-31-2005, 9:25 AM
Also, many of the inexpensive bipods I see attach to the barrel. My opinion (and that's all that it is) is that this is not good. You don't want any extra stress on the barrel as this could throw your shots off. That's why there are free-float AR's - no stress on the barrel whatsoever.

Turby

Gnote
12-31-2005, 9:44 AM
Thanks you guys. What about a sling? Do you have any sling recommendations?

I think this is going to be a good setup when complete.

AggregatVier
12-31-2005, 9:45 AM
When they ship to CA do they replace the flash hider with a muzzle brake?

Gnote
12-31-2005, 9:53 AM
When they ship to CA do they replace the flash hider with a muzzle brake?

I don't think they will unless you ask them. A flash hider is legal if you have a legally registered AR or a fixed mag.

Because this is minus the frame, it is legal for them to ship. a mag with more than 10 round capacity is another story. I would ask the supplier to either replace the 10 round mag or compensate you for it. I would NOT want the supplier to get into trouble. If we help them stay out of trouble, we help ourselves as well.

BigAL
12-31-2005, 1:05 PM
Thanks you guys. What about a sling? Do you have any sling recommendations?

I think this is going to be a good setup when complete.

Since you will be putting this together you also have the option of buying a single point sling plate and installing it in between the stock and lower receiver. But if you want to run a 3 point sling this will not be needed. I have used both the Wilderness Tactical 3 point and single point setups. The single point is simpler and faster on target but the longterm comfort of a 3 point is much better as well as the ability to truly carry it hands free. Single points like to swing too much.

mblat
12-31-2005, 1:29 PM
Isn't CAR A4 is actually LISTED on DOJ?
as
Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-4 Flattop?

I am pretty sure that it doesn't say that on receiver. Now - I am not THAT smart - I picked this information up on this board in thread discussing RRA LAR 15.

As artherd said:

With enough time, money, lawyers, and money, you would probally prevail in a Supreme Court trial which would likely find that Harrott precident declared banings like "standard A-4 Flattop" to be over-reaching of the DOJ's authority.

However, the Supior Court and Appelate Courts are likely to just pee in your mouth. (and you'll be fighting a Felony conviction on your criminal record for the next 5-10 years.)

Or you could buy a STAG-15.

TonyM
12-31-2005, 1:35 PM
as

I am pretty sure that it doesn't say that on receiver. Now - I am not THAT smart - I picked this information up on this board in thread discussing RRA LAR 15.

As artherd said:

With enough time, money, lawyers, and money, you would probally prevail in a Supreme Court trial which would likely find that Harrott precident declared banings like "standard A-4 Flattop" to be over-reaching of the DOJ's authority.

However, the Supior Court and Appelate Courts are likely to just pee in your mouth. (and you'll be fighting a Felony conviction on your criminal record for the next 5-10 years.)

Or you could buy a STAG-15.

He's referring to the upper reciever and kit, not the lower.

Anonymous Coward
12-31-2005, 1:35 PM
as

We're talking about uppers here. The DOJ list only applies to lowers - the serialized part that's the actual firearms according to the law.

Everthing else (with some exceptions like magazines,...) is just metal.

mblat
12-31-2005, 1:54 PM
I think you missing athred's point or may be I am?

I know that only lower receiver constitues the rifle. I know that DOJ suppose to regulate only lower receivers and not the uppers.

But! What it looks like to me that CAR A4 flattop desribes upper assemble and not suppose to be regulated by DOJ. Never the less IT IS on the list.
So what I think athread is saying is that DOJ doesn't know what it is doing and you can spend rest of you life fighting your conviction.
Or you can buy something else....

TonyM
12-31-2005, 2:08 PM

I know that only lower receiver constitues the rifle. I know that DOJ suppose to regulate only lower receivers and not the uppers.

But! What it looks like to me that CAR A4 flattop desribes upper assemble and not suppose to be regulated by DOJ. Never the less IT IS on the list.
So what I think athread is saying is that DOJ doesn't know what it is doing and you can spend rest of you life fighting your conviction.

So, by your logic if I put an Bushmaster Upper on a Vulcan I have a listed rifle.

No, it doesn't work that way.

The only part that is registered or regulated is the lower. Obviously 50 BMG uppers are another matter, and have their own law.

Anonymous Coward
12-31-2005, 2:08 PM

mblat, are you referring to this post? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=189665&postcount=10

Then I think you quoted atherd out of context. The discussion in this thread was about the legality of the RRA LAR 15 lower, which is too close to the item on the DOJ list.

If you read all the posts here then people plan to put various uppers on their lowers that are on the list (E.g. Bushmaster, Colt, ...)

Anonymous Coward
12-31-2005, 2:09 PM
Hey TonyM, stop reading my mind! :-)

TonyM
12-31-2005, 2:10 PM
Hey TonyM, stop reading my mind! :-)

I'll hit reply slower.

Sorry.. ;)

mblat
12-31-2005, 2:17 PM
mblat, are you referring to this post? http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=189665&postcount=10

Then I think you quoted atherd out of context. The discussion in this thread was about the legality of the RRA LAR 15 lower, which is too close to the item on the DOJ list.

If you read all the posts here then people plan to put various uppers on their lowers that are on the list (E.g. Bushmaster, Colt, ...)

Yes, I am reffering to that post. Quoted part in that post doesn't mention RRA lowers.
It says:
Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-2
Rock River Arms, Inc. Standard A-4 Flattop

and full listing from Kasler list is
Rock River Arms, Inc.
Standard A-2
Car A2
Standard A-4 Flattop
Car A4 Flattop
NM A2 - DCM Legal
LE Tactical Carbine

that is how they listed in DOJ and they are in fact RRA uppers.
Also athread in his post suggested to buy Stag 15 instead wich is in fact name of Stag upper.

Now. I do think point is somewhat mute here - I don't believe DOJ will come searching for you if you buy one of those uppers and I do believe that such declaration is illigal and can be fought in courts. But if you wind up in some tight spot and DA needs some dirt on you this may do, while Stag 15 won't.

So, by your logic if I put an Bushmaster Upper on a Vulcan I have a listed rifle.

No, it doesn't work that way.

The only part that is registered or regulated is the lower.

And by the way - this aren't my logic - if it would be up to there wouldn't be assult weapon ban on first place! My point is that is appears that some RRA UPPERS are actually LISTED in Kasler list! And that DA may be able to get conviction based on this!

And if I am wrong - so be it - this the case when I don't mind being wrong. :-)

ocabj
12-31-2005, 2:20 PM
This price is pretty good for what you get. I prefer the 1-7" twist though. It lets you shoot the heavier stuff, 69, 75, and 77 grainers, specifically, and it shoots 55gr just fine. I have no problem with 55 and 62 in my 16" 1-7" Colt Sporter.

Unfortunately RRA doesn't offer 1 in 7. But for a fixed mag rifle, the 1-9" will work fine since it's going to probably be a plinking gun anyway.

TonyM
12-31-2005, 2:39 PM
And if I am wrong - so be it - this the case when I don't mind being wrong. :-)
Well, Cool. Cause you're wrong here Bro. That is a list of Complete Rifles / Lower Receivers.

Cheers.

mblat
12-31-2005, 2:41 PM
Well, Cool. Cause you're wrong here Bro. That is a list of Complete Rifles / Lower Receivers.

Cheers.

That is fine - just tell me if only receivers are regulated and RRA uses same receiver on all CAR configuration why are they listed?

In any case - have a happy New Year!

RW Dunn
01-01-2006, 3:34 PM
What do you guys think of this for $660?
http://www.rockriverarms.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=AR4001&storeid=1&image=kcara4.gif&CFID=2131843&CFTOKEN=53004456 its going to be one my 1st build ups

Matt-man
01-01-2006, 5:30 PM
Rock River Arms, Inc.
Standard A-2
Car A2
Standard A-4 Flattop
Car A4 Flattop
NM A2 - DCM Legal
LE Tactical Carbine

My point is that is appears that some RRA UPPERS are actually LISTED in Kasler list!

It appears that way because RRA gives their upper assemblies the same name as the complete rifles in which they are used. Every one of those items listed (except for the LE Carbine, which doesn't appear on their site as either an upper or a rifle) is the model name of an RRA rifle.

Gnote
01-01-2006, 7:35 PM
I looked over the Guns & Ammo Book of the AR-15; in particular the article on the RRA Government Model. I am going to go ahead and get the GG&G rear site and the VTAC sling. Maybe, just maybe add the Hogue This should be perfect for the first build and still give room to grow slowly as funding becomes available.

elmo
01-02-2006, 8:30 PM
i've posted this before..i think that's an okay deal, not a hot or great deal.

it doens't look like it comes with a rear site which might cost you some money, and it's not a chrome lined barrell.

stag upper with dominator mount rear sight $530
stag butstock = $60
lower parts kit = $60

ends up about the same price with more features.

Matt-man
01-02-2006, 10:35 PM
You can buy a CMMG upper and get a chrome-lined 1:7" barrel, M4 handguards, etc etc for $526, or a superlite or mid-length for the same price. A lot of arfcommers are pissed at CMMG over a group buy snafu, but if you can overlook that it seems like a good deal.

Gnote
01-03-2006, 3:35 AM
i've posted this before..i think that's an okay deal, not a hot or great deal.

it doens't look like it comes with a rear site which might cost you some money, and it's not a chrome lined barrell.

stag upper with dominator mount rear sight $530
stag butstock = $60
lower parts kit = $60

ends up about the same price with more features.

The kit has the NM Two Stage Trigger instead of the regular trigger though.

That was what sold me. The RRA LPK can be had for $60. With the NM Trigger, the lowest I've priced is $145. The kit does come with chrome lining for $660.

The kit does not have rear sites though as you mentioned. I've priced the Dominator and the lowest I can find is $120 so the Stag step you mentioned does look pretty attractive. If you do not mind me asking, who did you get the quote from?

gobabygo
01-03-2006, 7:34 AM
You can get that price at Eagle Firearms (http://www.eaglefirearms.net) here: http://www.eaglefirearms.net/stag_arms.htm#Upper%20Receiver%20Assemblies

dark_ninja
10-17-2009, 11:26 PM
just bought ordered an RRA complete a4 kit. was wondering what my next move would be on purchasing to complete this build?

L8Apex619
10-18-2009, 8:50 AM
I know it's a necropost and all, but it's worth pointing out RRA has their A4 kit priced for $5 less than it was in the OP dated from 2005... and that's with free shipping. Maybe it's just a sign that the EBR bubble has burst, but nonetheless, good on ya, RRA. :thumbsup: