PDA

View Full Version : Can I bring my rifle in a taxi?

SanSacto
01-21-2010, 12:54 PM
I need to get to the post office so I can ship my rifle. I don't have a car and I haven't been able to find a ride. I usually take the bus, but I assume I can't bring a rifle on public transportation. I was thinking about taking a taxi because it is only a few miles away.

Can I bring my rifle in a taxi? It is boxed up and looks like a box for a golf club or baseball bat.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
As long as you dont announce what it is in public I dont see any problem.

Lyte-
01-21-2010, 1:17 PM
yeah it should be in the box your going to be shipping it in anyways...

How ever I didn't know you should send a firearm through the post office I thought it had to be UPS or Fedex.

professionalcoyotehunter
01-21-2010, 1:28 PM
You are correct it must go through Fedex or UPS overnight.

Liberty1
01-21-2010, 1:29 PM
Yes you can transport a rifle in a taxi.

Lyte-
01-21-2010, 1:40 PM
its really up to the taxi driver if he knows you have a rifle.... cause If I am driving the taxi I am not letting you sit behind me with a damn rifle!

SanSacto
01-21-2010, 1:44 PM
Yes, I am taking it to a FedEx Express Shipping Center which is only a few miles away from my house. I just wanted to make sure there are no transportation laws regarding taxis that I didn't know about. I do not intend on telling the driver what it is, I might just pop it in his trunk or just keep it in the backseat with me. Even I would not suspect that the package is a rifle.....

madhatter
01-21-2010, 1:46 PM
You are correct it must go through FedEx or UPS overnight.

YOU are wrong, A rifle can be ship through the USPS. Handguns have to be ship overnight through FedEx or UPS.

IGOTDIRT4U
01-21-2010, 2:36 PM
Yes, I am taking it to a FedEx Express Shipping Center which is only a few miles away from my house. I just wanted to make sure there are no transportation laws regarding taxis that I didn't know about. I do not intend on telling the driver what it is, I might just pop it in his trunk or just keep it in the backseat with me. Even I would not suspect that the package is a rifle.....

Glad you clarified this. Your OP said "post office", to which possession of guns within is a big NO-NO!

YubaRiver
01-21-2010, 2:54 PM
Glad you clarified this. Your OP said "post office", to which possession of guns within is a big NO-NO!

I have mailed a rifle from the post office. That was what was requested
by the H&R factory to return it for additional barrels and the post office
had no trouble with me sending it that way.

SanSacto
01-21-2010, 2:56 PM

I didn't go into detail because I am not asking about who I need to ship it through, I was looking for clarification on transportation laws in taxis. Looks like I am good to go.

tac
01-21-2010, 2:57 PM
I believe you can bring it in a taxi but entering a post office with a firearm is probably not a good idea.

IGOTDIRT4U
01-21-2010, 3:01 PM
I have mailed a rifle from the post office. That was what was requested
by the H&R factory to return it for additional barrels and the post office
had no trouble with me sending it that way.

You were in violation of Federal law, then. See 39 CFR 232.1 (l)

YubaRiver
01-21-2010, 3:16 PM
" (l) Weapons and explosives. No person while on postal property may
carry firearms, other dangerous or deadly weapons, or explosives, either
openly or concealed, or store the same on postal property, except for
official purposes."

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

Mssr. Eleganté
01-21-2010, 3:38 PM
Let's see what the USPS Domestic Mail Manual says about shipping long guns through the USPS...

Section 601. Mailability

11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e.

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice.

GrizzlyGuy
01-21-2010, 4:09 PM
I didn't go into detail because I am not asking about who I need to ship it through, I was looking for clarification on transportation laws in taxis. Looks like I am good to go.

You are good to go if the rifle is in the taxi's trunk or some other locked container.

If you don't have it in a locked container and the cab travels through a school zone (i.e. within 1000' of the grounds of any K-12 school), it would be a violation of the Federal GFSZ law (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones#Law). The state GFSZ law (626.9 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html)) is N/A since it does not apply to the transportation of long guns.

P.S. - Another way around the Federal GFSZ law would be to lock your rifle into the taxi's gun rack, but I suspect that most taxis don't have those installed. Unless it is a redneck operated taxi... ;)

C.Strong
01-21-2010, 4:16 PM
You are good to go if the rifle is in the taxi's trunk or some other locked container.

If you don't have it in a locked container and the cab travels through a school zone (i.e. within 1000' of the grounds of any K-12 school), it would be a violation of the Federal GFSZ law (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Gun_Free_School_Zones#Law). The state GFSZ law (626.9 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/626.9.html)) is N/A since it does not apply to the transportation of long guns.

P.S. - Another way around the Federal GFSZ law would be to lock your rifle into the taxi's gun rack, but I suspect that most taxis don't have those installed. Unless it is a redneck operated taxi... ;)

I would have figured that a box sealed in packing tape would of accounted for a "Locked" container.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and your lucky numbers are 13 42 26 41 09 and 51

SanSacto
01-21-2010, 4:31 PM
Thanks guys, I am going to be popping it in the trunk before I roll to FedEx tomorrow...

NaughtyMonkey
01-21-2010, 8:03 PM

I don't think it has to be over night, my 1919A4 had 3 day shipping on it.

DJ Skillz
01-21-2010, 8:13 PM
I would have figured that a box sealed in packing tape would of accounted for a "Locked" container.

I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice, and your lucky numbers are 13 42 26 41 09 and 51

Absolutely. Just yesterday I ditched the deadbolt on my front door and replaced it with a strip of packaging tape. Nobody's gettin' in my house!!

XDRoX
01-21-2010, 8:22 PM
Are you near La Mesa? I'll drive you for a 6-pack.

highpowermatch
01-22-2010, 6:31 AM

I think its only pistols that go overnight.

paul0660
01-22-2010, 7:13 AM
What a misinformative thread. This has most of the answers to all the questions asked here: http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

You can send long guns by the mail. Slow boat mail if you wish.

Unless you are a FFL dealer, you have to send handguns via Fedex or UPS overnight (although my local UPS will send them 2 day).

SanSacto
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
What a misinformative thread. This has most of the answers to all the questions asked here: http://www.thegunzone.com/ship-guns.html

You can send long guns by the mail. Slow boat mail if you wish.

Unless you are a FFL dealer, you have to send handguns via Fedex or UPS overnight (although my local UPS will send them 2 day).

Well, this thread was not created to clarify how to ship a longgun. It was created to clarify transportation laws in taxis. So all this shipping talk means nothing to me.....

Decoligny
01-22-2010, 11:34 AM

You are allowed to possess a firearm on Post Office property "for official purposes", and mailing a rifle is indeed considered an "official purpose".