PDA

View Full Version : BLM land near Rocklin/Auburn area

Ravenslair
12-30-2005, 8:45 AM
I have been shooting out at the Lincoln Rifle Club for some time now and am looking to change it up once in a while. Where do most of you in the Rocklin/Auburn/Lincoln area shoot (other than at clubs in the area). I am looking for BLM or other such areas.

Thanks.

MadMex
12-30-2005, 10:49 AM
Iíve been stuck in the club scene as well. I moved near Meadow Vista about a year ago. Iím also curious about BLM locations.

M1A Rifleman
12-30-2005, 11:22 AM
Whats the story on area aquired near Folsom? I read about it while in Wildsports over Thanksgiving. I recall it ws some old ranch and there was to be a public hearing regarding opening the place up to plinking - did this happen?

Roboshred
12-30-2005, 2:02 PM
Spenceville by Camp farwest.

M1A Rifleman
12-30-2005, 2:06 PM
Spenceville by Camp farwest.

Spenceville may only allow paper targets now according to another post. When I was there a year ago there was some indication that the range was actually closed for good - however no one seemed to bother with the posted sign.

Roboshred
12-30-2005, 2:18 PM
Spenceville suffered from the many idiots that would unload their
household items (washers & dryers etc.) and then shoot at them or rig
explosives on them to blowup. It turned into a bullet ridden dump site
that deserved better. The shame of it was that too many gun owners
that used the range condoned it and didn't bother to enforce the paper
target rule. The range has been closed before and could be now but it's
still a good place to go in the north state when open.

hylander
12-30-2005, 2:47 PM
Spenceville is open but I will not go there anymore,
To many Idiot's.
I usually go up to Forest Hill when I want some time away from the range
and in the summer up to Cisco Grove.
May I suggest that where ever We go we take out more
trash than we bring in. Whenever I'm in my Pick-up I always take alittle more trash out than I brought.

Pthfndr
12-31-2005, 8:52 AM
Whats the story on area aquired near Folsom? I read about it while in Wildsports over Thanksgiving. I recall it ws some old ranch and there was to be a public hearing regarding opening the place up to plinking - did this happen?

Cronan Ranch http://www.coloma.com/recreation/cronan-ranch.php

This website doesn't mention the shooting area, but it is there somewhere - for now.

Call the Folsom BLM office. For more information, contact the Folsom Field Office, 63 Natoma Street, Folsom, CA 95630, or call (916) 985-4474.

Wumpscut223
12-31-2005, 10:55 AM
Im located in folsom and would like a close and preferably free place to shoot. This is a good thread. :)

Ravenslair
12-31-2005, 12:23 PM
Thanks to each of you for your posts. It looks like there are several places to go in the area.

1SGMAT
01-01-2006, 8:58 AM
There is a place 15 min east of auburn up by colfax. I think it is the Gold Run / lake M something exit and you enter it from the north side of 80 and go under the rail road tracks.

Wulf
01-06-2006, 2:56 PM
I have been shooting out at the Lincoln Rifle Club for some time now and am looking to change it up once in a while. Where do most of you in the Rocklin/Auburn/Lincoln area shoot (other than at clubs in the area). I am looking for BLM or other such areas.

Thanks.

The colfax range is great, but its not very long, and it can be pretty crowded on the weekends....also as its uncontrolled you have to exert the normal precautions.

If you go PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont leave a bunch of crap behind. I've talked with the ranger and the guy that blm pays to clean it up and its clear they dont like that aspect of it and would just as soon close the range as bother with the mess.

M1A Rifleman
01-09-2006, 6:28 AM
If you go PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont leave a bunch of crap behind. I've talked with the ranger and the guy that blm pays to clean it up and its clear they dont like that aspect of it and would just as soon close the range as bother with the mess.

This has been the result of most BLM and other non-sanctioned shooting areas in CA. Recall there was a BLM shooting area just west of Sonora, however, it was closed back in the late 80's due to the mess.

vg247
03-09-2006, 4:05 AM
The colfax range is great, but its not very long, and it can be pretty crowded on the weekends....also as its uncontrolled you have to exert the normal precautions.

If I recall correctly it is somewhere around the Rollins Lake/ Gras Valley area of Colfax....any have directions to be exact?? I just moved back to CA and cant quite recall

TonyM
03-17-2006, 2:34 PM
Interesting.

I called the Folsom Field office a couple weeks ago to inquire about any BLM areas under their control that allowed target shooting.

I got a very forceful and rude "NO!" as a reply. The guy seemed like a real jerk.

So it's not true? Looking for anything that might be a little closer than my other option which is 2 hours away.

M1A Rifleman
03-17-2006, 2:55 PM
Interesting.

I called the Folsom Field office a couple weeks ago to inquire about any BLM areas under their control that allowed target shooting.

I got a very forceful and rude "NO!" as a reply. The guy seemed like a real jerk.

So it's not true? Looking for anything that might be a little closer than my other option which is 2 hours away.

You might remind the guy that the Folsom BLM site indicates that hunting and shooting ARE allowed on their lands - but it also states the lands within the Folsom Office control are small. This by it self may make Folsom BLM areas not acceptable for shooting. The new area that I think was the subject of the orignal post is the Cronan Ranch - but it specifically states under the management plan that shooting is prohibited - probably due to it being within some County/City boundary.

Colfax has a BLM shooting area - I see it is called Cape Horn and it is just of Hwy 80. I have not been their so don't ask for directions, but I see from the web that the Placerville Rod and Gun Club participates in the clean-up.

TonyM
03-18-2006, 8:15 AM
Thanks for the info. Was trying to firgure out if there was anything more south of Sacramento they they controlled. Didn't feel like driving to Ukiah, and Panoche Hills will be closing to vehicles soon. Oh well. Might be a reason to go visit the wife's parents in Arizona again to get a few days worth of fun in w/o driving 2 hours after a long day of shooting... ;)

M1A Rifleman
03-20-2006, 6:35 AM
Thanks for the info. Was trying to firgure out if there was anything more south of Sacramento they they controlled. Didn't feel like driving to Ukiah, and Panoche Hills will be closing to vehicles soon. Oh well. Might be a reason to go visit the wife's parents in Arizona again to get a few days worth of fun in w/o driving 2 hours after a long day of shooting... ;)

I think your other choice is Spenceville Wildlife refuge near Beals AFB and Camp Far West. This has a BLM range out to about 300 yds, and it is about 30-minutes from Roseville through Lincoln.

babydoll
03-27-2006, 3:56 PM
Have you checked out BLM's site:http://www.blm.gov/ca/fieldoffices.html