PDA

View Full Version : hollister ranger takes my mossberg pump

xdman
01-20-2010, 6:50 PM
I went with some of my friends to hollister to ride dirt bikes, being my first time there i wasnt sure what to expect. I thought we would be out in the woods so i brought my mossberg 500 with a pistol grip on it, long story short got to the park at night woke up the next morning to rangers searching our campsite thier was alcohol present and they may have thought we were minors but no one was, they hasseled us for a while and said they were going to search all of our stuff, im still not sure why. my friend told the ranger that we had a shotgun with us, he asked where it was we told him, he then told me that it was illegal to have because it was conceled, it was in my tent unloaded with the 8 rounds of buckshot in another bag both my shotgun and rounds were taken with a ticket for me, Can they do this? was it really illegal for me to have, any info would help greatly thank you.

professorhard
01-20-2010, 6:54 PM
Contact the CGF. PM Hoffmang

kermit315
01-20-2010, 6:54 PM
tent is an extension of your home as far as california law is concerned. Sounds kinda strange to me though.

on the basis of what you have posted though, the shotgun was not illegal, and there should have been no problem with having it in the campsite. Not sure on the legality of them searching all your stuff, unless you told them they could .

DRM6000
01-20-2010, 6:55 PM
sounds like your property was illegally confiscated. if you did anything illegal, you probably would've been arrested.

don't reveal any more details and PM bwiese (i forget the others at the moment.)

HowardW56
01-20-2010, 6:56 PM
I went with some of my friends to hollister to ride dirt bikes, being my first time there i wasnt sure what to expect. I thought we would be out in the woods so i brought my mossberg 500 with a pistol grip on it, long story short got to the park at night woke up the next morning to rangers searching our campsite thier was alcohol present and they may have thought we were minors but no one was, they hasseled us for a while and said they were going to search all of our stuff, im still not sure why. my friend told the ranger that we had a shotgun with us, he asked where it was we told him, he then told me that it was illegal to have because it was conceled, it was in my tent unloaded with the 8 rounds of buckshot in another bag both my shotgun and rounds were taken with a ticket for me, Can they do this? was it really illegal for me to have, any info would help greatly thank you.

If he gave you a "ticket", what were you cited for?

G17GUY
01-20-2010, 7:05 PM
Contact the calguns foundation 1-800-556-2109

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=245866&highlight=phone+number

Alaric
01-20-2010, 7:39 PM
Hollister Hills SVRA (http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1179) is a State Park. Assuming that's where you were when you say "Hollister", then they likely got you because firearms are not allowed in State Parks. I seem to recall they are allowed to be transported (locked container), but a tent wouldn't qualify as a locked container.

Campsites qualify as "home" only in some National Forests, BLM, some private parks, etc.

ETA: Here is the definitive calguns sticky on where you can legally camp with your guns: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=186457

gunsmith
01-20-2010, 7:45 PM
of course they can! they did it , right? I think the real question is "was it legal to do this?"
You post is not really informative, define "park" please.
We do not have enough info to help you

MudCamper
01-20-2010, 8:13 PM
It is illegal to bring firearms into a State Park per CCR Title 14, Div 3, Chap 1, s 4313. Don't sweat it too much, it's not even a misdemeanor. However, there is an exemption: "Firearms not having a cartridge in any portion of the mechanism ... may be possessed within temporary lodging or mechanical mode of conveyance when such implements are rendered temporarily inoperable or are packed, cased, or stored in a manner that will prevent their ready use." So I'd argue your tent qualifies.

Also, there is no law against concealing long guns. That is just a confused ranger.

As for the search, sounds like somebody in your party gave them permission. That's a big mistake. If not, then it was an illegal search.

Purple K
01-20-2010, 9:11 PM
What do they teach these guys at the academy these days......Geeze!

jamesob
01-20-2010, 9:55 PM
whats that smell? i think it's a lawsuit. were you residing in your tent for the night? yes you were. that is your home and therefore they would need a search warrant.

sorensen440
01-20-2010, 9:57 PM
as much as Id like to know the details it is in your best interest to keep them to yourself and contact a lawyer

Kestryll
01-20-2010, 10:23 PM
Email sent to the rest of the CGF Board.
Do not say any more than you already have.

radioman
01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
Email sent to the rest of the CGF Board.
Do not say any more than you already have.

best advice you can get

Glock22Fan
01-20-2010, 10:40 PM

Sorry about your problem. But I really cannot get over how many people keep saying (not saying that you are one of them) "best to cooperate with the nice friendly officer!" despite all the times others, including me, have said that all you should say is "No, I do not give permission for a search. I have nothing illegal." This is a sad but typical case in point. Most people in jail talk themselves into it.

Seesm
01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
I think you will get the gun back soon...

Eat Dirt
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
::hide:

Very Interesting ..................

Colt-45
01-20-2010, 11:26 PM
xdman, please DO NOT be afraid of a law suit.

jtv3062
01-21-2010, 6:26 AM
Waiting for the out come. I would fight this

xdman
01-21-2010, 9:53 AM
The ticket says im cited for (cc rl1313)-firearm in a state park, im not sure if that is the exact code the ranger had sloppy handwriting. i have to go to court to get my gun back they did give me an evidence slip for the gun but not the rounds.

paul0660
01-21-2010, 10:00 AM
What do they teach these guys at the academy these days......Geeze!

They teach them to keep us talking...........and digging our own graves..........

GrizzlyGuy
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
The ticket says im cited for (cc rl1313)-firearm in a state park, im not sure if that is the exact code the ranger had sloppy handwriting. i have to go to court to get my gun back they did give me an evidence slip for the gun but not the rounds.

See this question in the FAQ, then follow the link to the State Park Regulations (4313 is the one you were likely in violation of):

Can I have a firearm in a state park? (http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/FAQ#Can_I_have_a_firearm_in_a_state_park.3F)

The initial search of your campsite seems improper since you did not consent to it in advance. Unfortunately, when your friend voluntarily told the ranger that you had a shotgun, he provided the ranger with PC (probable cause) to search your vehicle.

In the future, you and your friends may want to do this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3551753&posted=1#post3551753) whenever you encounter LEOs (rangers are LEOs).

P.S. - As others have pointed out, it is best if you no longer post on this subject until you consult with a lawyer.

bodger
01-21-2010, 10:34 AM
What is considered "temporarily inoperable"? An shotgun unloaded but with ammo nearby?

Or does this mean field stripped.

Eat Dirt
01-21-2010, 10:45 AM
i have to go to court to get my gun back they did give me an evidence slip for the gun but not the rounds.

They will NEVER give rounds back ............

Personal experience...............................:(

GuyW
01-21-2010, 2:52 PM
They will NEVER give rounds back ............

thieves....but that's what government does best - (somewhat-) organized crime....