PDA

View Full Version : Brady Campaign takes notice of open carry

CaliforniaLiberal
01-20-2010, 2:54 PM
From: Amanda Wilcox, Sacramento Valley Brady Campaign Chapter
To: Sacramento Valley Chapter Members and Supporters
Re: Latest News:
1. Open Carry Campaign a Danger to Our Communities: Contact Starbucks to Complain
2. Brady Campaign Declares 2nd Amendment Victory
3. Obama Report Card F on Guns
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

1. ACTION ALERT: Please contact Starbucks and complain about Open Carry events taking place at their stores: There is a very aggressive push going on by the CA Open Carry Movement http://www.californiaopencarry.org/ to bring guns onto private property in workplaces and restaurants. The California Chapters believe that -- besides being bad for business -- the Open Carry events are dangerous for the community. When we learn of an upcoming event we are alerting the store managers and corporate offices so they can be proactive in establishing a gun-free policy and advising their employees on how they should respond. When we learn of an event that has taken place we are contacting the manager and corporate offices to complain:

"As members of the California Chapters of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, we want to voice strong disapproval of allowing guns on the premises of your establishments. Whether legal or not, the practice is intimidating and attempts to normalize the carrying of deadly weapons in public *̶ an act potentially dangerous to the community. With the horrific problem of gun violence in California this type of threatening behavior is unacceptable. The excuse that it is legal to carry an unloaded gun in public does not make it a responsible act. We believe that as a manager you have the right to prohibit guns on the premises of your establishment. All states have private property rights and the rights of employers to adopt a gun-free policy. We strongly encourage you to adopt a gun-free policy for your company. We are advising people, for the safety of their families, NOT to frequent establishments that allow open carry of guns on their premises."
An Open Carry Event was held recently at the: (see this clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYWz7BEEg1k)
Cherry Orchard Starbucks
332 W. El Camino Real
Sunnyvale, CA
408-736-6859

Call Manager "Chris" of the Cherry Orchard Starbucks to complain about this event.
We contacted Starbucks Corporate Office to obtain their statement regarding this issue. Starbucks Corporate deftly passed the star "buck" with this response:
"Thanks for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company. Starbucks does not have a corporate policy regarding customers and weapons; we defer to federal, state and local laws and regulations regarding this issue. We appreciate you taking the time to share your concerns."
Bill C.

Customer Relations

Starbucks Coffee Company

800 23-LATTE (235-2883)

Monday through Friday, 5AM to 6PM (PST)

info@starbucks.com

Call or e-mail "Bill C." at the Starbucks Customer Relations Office above to complain about their lack of a gun-free policy.

Starbucks markets itself as a socially responsible company. see http://www.starbucks.com/
Call the Starbucks Helpline: 1-800-611-7792 Let them know that as a socially responsible company they have a moral obligation to adopt a gun-free policy: The Helpline is a free phone number, which you may use to ask questions or report concerns, without giving your name if you prefer.

************************************************** *********************************************

2. Victory in 2nd Amendment Case: In a case in which the Brady Campaign filed an amicus brief, the United States Court of Appeals for the 10th Circuit in US v. White has agreed with us and upheld the Lautenberg Amendment ban on domestic violence offenders' possession of firearms as constitutional under the Second Amendment. A convicted criminal, Ludivic White, Jr., had appealed his conviction for unlawful possession, arguing the law was unconstitutional under the Supreme Court's decision in DC v. Heller. This is an important victory, especially given that the Heller Court did not list this law as one of those "presumptively lawful." The Court in White also cited several times to United States v. Hayes, another US Supreme Court opinion that we also contributed to, as we filed an amicus brief that was cited by that Court.

************************************************** ***********************************************
3. Obama Report Card (Note: We are not giving up! We must sway him!)
http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/press/view/1214/
BRADY CENTER TO PREVENT GUN VIOLENCE

For Immediate Release
Tuesday, January 19, 2010

WEAKER GUN LAWS, LACK OF LEADERSHIP
EARN PRESIDENT OBAMA A FAILING GRADE

Washington, D.C. - In his first year as President, Barack Obama's continuing concessions to the "guns anywhere" mentality of the gun lobby and lack of leadership for common-sense gun laws has earned him a grade of "F" from the nation's leading group fighting to prevent gun violence.

Might be good to write some emails to Starbucks in favor of continuing their corporate indifference to open carry.

Obama's F Grade is a whole 'nother post.

Funny, the Brady Campaign email hit my box just 5 minutes before the CAL-ERT AB1663 anouncing the AB962 repeal bill in the CA Assembly.

nrakid88
01-20-2010, 3:03 PM
Hey, I am happy and suprised that Starbucks doesn't care that we bring guns!

My375hp302
01-20-2010, 3:04 PM
Makes me want to stab these people to death with a spoon. Ofcourse, then they'd outlaw spoons too and I'd have to eat me cereal with a fork.

nrakid88
01-20-2010, 3:09 PM
I had to write Starbucks to say something to this Bill C.

Hi,

I dont know who you are sir, but you have my respect. I was suprised to see that you didn't fall into the Brady Campaigns ill-fated logic regarding there begging for you to adopt a gun free policy. I am happy to see that your company isn't going to be trampling my rights, I will remain a loyal customer to your chain.

Thank you for serving great coffee and not trying to stop me from defending myself, my loved ones, and civil society,

_________

DTOM CA!
01-20-2010, 3:11 PM
"Might be good to write some emails to Starbucks in favor of continuing their corporate indifference to open carry."
Agreed. I am sure Starbucks does not mind if a Policeman with a firearm stops by for a cup-a-joe. I wish a victims rights group would stand up to the BC and make them answer why we can not protect ourselves. I would like them to back up there statement of being "dangerous for the community" with facts to prove it. If a bunch of guys with guns are a danger then there should be thousands of deaths every year at the shooting ranges ?

CaliforniaLiberal
01-20-2010, 3:12 PM
No, they wouldn't outlaw spoons, just a background check for previous silverware infractions and no more than one spoon in a thirty day period.

Oh, and no assault or full auto spoons either. Or folding spoons with short bowls.

Off List Sporks are an entirely different thing.

Super Spy
01-20-2010, 3:15 PM
I want to open carry to a Brady Bunch event......just for fun!

Dark Paladin
01-20-2010, 3:18 PM
No, they wouldn't outlaw spoons, just a background check for previous silverware infractions and no more than one spoon in a thirty day period.

Oh, and no assault or full auto spoons either. Or folding spoons with short bowls.

And your spoon cannot hold more than 10 pieces of cereal. . . otherwise it would be an illegal high capacity spoon. . .

nrakid88
01-20-2010, 3:20 PM
Please video tape it, the reactions would be priceless.

MrPlutonium
01-20-2010, 3:21 PM
Well, looks like I'm going to Starbucks more often.

nrakid88
01-20-2010, 3:22 PM
And your spoon cannot hold more than 10 pieces of cereal. . . otherwise it would be an illegal high capacity spoon. . .

And attaching two spoons together would be a violation for giving more than one mouthful per single spoon dip.

CaliforniaLiberal
01-20-2010, 3:22 PM

YES!!

:43::reddevil::taz::devil2::popcorn:

http://www.bradycampaign.org/chapters/ca/

bodger
01-20-2010, 3:24 PM
I definitely have respect for Starbucks now. Basically gave the Brady Bunch the same kind of responses we usually get from politicians.

I love it.

I just hope the Bradys don't get aggresive and start up a boycott that makes Starbucks change their policy.

CitaDeL
01-20-2010, 3:51 PM

Noted. When we do decide to hijack a Brady event, I will be sure to let you know and post an invitation.

Please video tape it, the reactions would be priceless.

This sort of thing has already occured in Virginia. A "die in" was scheduled as a form of protest by a anti-gun group trying to bring to light the scores of deaths caused by murderers, armed with handguns. Open carriers were present to the dismay of the organizers. IRCC one of the open carriers had a sign that read, "Here lie the victims of disarmament." or some other verbiage.

I digress from the topic at hand.

What Amanda is forgetting is that corporate policy is indifferent to the subject of weapons because they have stores in "Free" states. And has been pointed out, they are not likely to refuse service to law enforcement on the basis of their handguns. Then there is the issue of enforcement- if you require your customers to be disarmed, how are they to know that you havent just concealed your weapon? Will they discriminate against those who are licensed to carry? Will they place metal detectors at the door and hire security to maintain a safe environment? Can a company afford to create contraversy by singling out customers, picking and chosing whom they will serve?

By all means, a business has every right to regulate what happens on their private property- but sometimes the risk of alienating one group to serve another isnt worth it...

How many anti-gunners would go out of their way to do business with a company that has a publically known "no weapons" policy? Id be willing to bet that that number is far less than those who would buy goods and services from a business that had no official weapons policy whatsoever.

gbp
01-20-2010, 3:58 PM
just keep it up
personally i'm getting a bit tired of hearing about this
go ahead exercise your RIGHT better do it now before they pass laws that keep you from doing it and we need to try and overturn that one also.
sometimes a little temporary restraint goes a lot further
Think About It
just my $0.02

B Strong
01-20-2010, 4:03 PM
I see a new movie for the future after incorporation:

"Brady's sing the Blues."

radioburning
01-20-2010, 4:51 PM
I sent them an email thanking them for not letting the Brady Bunch intimidate them, and to also let them know a little bit about the train of thought behind the open carry movement.

pullnshoot25
01-20-2010, 4:53 PM
I am now a more frequent customer. HELL YEAH!

CaliforniaCarry
01-20-2010, 4:56 PM
If this is their response to a few UOCers, imagine what their reaction would be if thousands of us were openly carrying loaded guns in public. This is why it's important that we get shall issue CCW in addtion to OC. The Brady's aren't stupid, they're misguided. If we end up with OC and no CCW, the Brady campaign will jump at the opportunity to encourage businesses to adopt a gun-free policy and create a minefield of gun free zones statewide.

mk3mitch
01-20-2010, 5:00 PM
"the practice is intimidating and attempts to normalize the carrying of deadly weapons in public"

You mean normal as say..Police officers,or security guards carrying them? I never hear anyone complain when the "brinks" guy comes into the bank with his gun. The only difference between him and anyone else is the shirt he is wearing...when are these people gonna get it!

dirtykoala
01-20-2010, 6:04 PM
Chris Vario at the Cherry Orchard Starbucks banned me for open carrying on 9/11/09. I followed up a lot with him, and corperate. Back in Sept. when I was speaking to corp, they informed me that guns were not allowed on any starbucks property, i asked them to send me a copy of that policy. after a few days of getting the run around, they told me that the policy they quoted applied only to employees and there is in fact no policy against guns, they defer to federal, state, and local laws.

p.s. they "unbanned me" (there was never a ban i found out because the store manager must file paperwork to ban a person).

shadow-ote
01-20-2010, 6:13 PM
The Brady bunch should be informed that if they intend on contacting local businesses to dissuade them from allowing us lawful entry, they will be named in lawsuits regarding impeding our civil rights.

MudCamper
01-20-2010, 7:46 PM
There is a very aggressive push going on by the CA Open Carry Movement http://www.californiaopencarry.org/ to bring guns onto private property in workplaces and restaurants.

Aggressive push? Ha! There's currently a stand-down request in effect that is being honored by a large number of the UOC community. They have no idea what an aggressive push would look like.

the practice ... attempts to normalize the carrying of deadly weapons in public

Hey, they got something right. On this point I couldn't agree more.

obeygiant
01-20-2010, 8:49 PM
Regardless of your position on UOC the fact that the Brady campaign is looking to make this a focal point should be all the more reason for us to send an email or make a phone call to Starbucks to thank them for their support.

five.five-six
01-20-2010, 8:51 PM
Makes me want to stab these people to death with a spoon. Ofcourse, then they'd outlaw spoons too and I'd have to eat me cereal with a fork.

LOL

jamesob
01-20-2010, 8:52 PM
good for starbucks

Liberty1
01-20-2010, 8:55 PM
They have no idea what an aggressive push would look like.

I soooooooo wish I was backing the release of all the OC 'dogs of war'. What a great time we could have...:cool2: That 12050 change was a punch in the gut too :(

Blue
01-20-2010, 8:56 PM
Well ****, if they're so "intimidated" by open carry, then maybe they should let us all CCW! :D

bodger
01-20-2010, 8:57 PM
"the practice is intimidating and attempts to normalize the carrying of deadly weapons in public"

You mean normal as say..Police officers,or security guards carrying them? I never hear anyone complain when the "brinks" guy comes into the bank with his gun. The only difference between him and anyone else is the shirt he is wearing...when are these people gonna get it!

Yeah, and I'd like to remind the Bradys that armed criminals are NORMALLY armed, and if the rest of us aren't, how the hell do we fight back when we fear for our lives.

Liberty1
01-20-2010, 8:59 PM
Yeah, and I'd like to remind the Bradys that armed criminals are NORMALLY armed, and if the rest of us aren't, how the hell do we fight back when we fear for our lives.

Just roll over and play dead. The bad guy will sniff you, take your wallet, and leave...?

RomanDad
01-20-2010, 9:10 PM

But silver is bad for Condors.... Plastic only.

RomanDad
01-20-2010, 9:16 PM

The Brady's Self Defense Class
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/MovieLawyer/263890086_c9a84612b8.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSJcaDjOL-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSJcaDjOL-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

radioman
01-20-2010, 9:28 PM
OMG my kid just saw a gun and now he won't eat. fud made to order.

bballwizard05
01-20-2010, 9:43 PM
Ok so I wrote this, (I may have fudged the truth about how many firearms I own, and I do consider myself a gun rights activist of sorts) but I dont open carry! (dont have a handgun yet :) ). but I think its not bad, I want them to get emails from people who wouldn't be considered "gun nuts" too.

Hello, I dont know exactly who will get this, or how high up you are in the starbucks ranks. I just ask that whoever gets this passes it on to as many starbucks workers they can from top to bottom. I have been a loyal customer of starbucks since 2004, I was recently made aware of the "Brady Campaigns" efforts to press starbucks to ban the legal open carry of weapons. I just want to say thank you to everyone at starbucks for politely refusing to comply with their wishes. I do own a firearm, however I do not open carry, nor am I a "gun rights activist" but I do believe in all our Amended rights, and I will continue to be an even more diligent customer of starbucks because of their Patriotism in upholding the legal rights of this great nation. Thank you.

Jared F.

Colt-45
01-20-2010, 9:58 PM
Very good for starbucks

Kharn
01-21-2010, 2:01 AM
If this is their response to a few UOCers, imagine what their reaction would be if thousands of us were openly carrying loaded guns in public. This is why it's important that we get shall issue CCW in addtion to OC. The Brady's aren't stupid, they're misguided. If we end up with OC and no CCW, the Brady campaign will jump at the opportunity to encourage businesses to adopt a gun-free policy and create a minefield of gun free zones statewide.

If we get OC, it will be by court order declaring it a Constitutional right which changes the game completely on public perception regarding businesses and those that speak out against it.

dark45
01-21-2010, 3:17 AM
well hopfuly this dosn't change with more and more of them sending messages and even a boycot. personly i don't like starbucks. mostly cause of the little tweeny or emo kids that frequent it. but non the less im glad to hear the company isn't on any side of the fence. but you never know brady might just rope'em over. as long as this dosn't hit the news it will go away i think.

rod
01-21-2010, 5:31 AM
The Brady's are pissing in the wind. Starbucks is huge, and even out here in the hills of Virginia, we have a few Starbucks that we can get to if needed. I LOC all the time in Starbucks and no one notices. It's like that in a lot of places outside of CA. If Starbucks made it a corporate policy to ban legally carried firearms in all their stores, it would have a much larger impact outside of CA, as no one would go there anymore. There aren't enough hippies willing to spend $5 on a coffee to keep them in business for very long.

shadow-ote
01-21-2010, 7:00 AM
Every single Starbuck I wander by has Suits and Business women...soccer moms, few "hippies" and only a handfull of kids...most of them cant afford a 6 buck cup-o-joe.

Lagduf
01-21-2010, 8:22 AM
lol Brady campaign.

As we all know banning guns doesn't ban criminals.

Criminals are the problem, not firearms.

pullnshoot25
01-21-2010, 9:56 AM
The Brady's are pissing in the wind. Starbucks is huge, and even out here in the hills of Virginia, we have a few Starbucks that we can get to if needed. I LOC all the time in Starbucks and no one notices. It's like that in a lot of places outside of CA. If Starbucks made it a corporate policy to ban legally carried firearms in all their stores, it would have a much larger impact outside of CA, as no one would go there anymore. There aren't enough hippies willing to spend $5 on a coffee to keep them in business for very long.

That's what I told Trader Joe's when they tried to pull a Brady Bunch move. Luckily, Stollenwerk set them straight :)

bodger
01-21-2010, 9:58 AM
LOL. That's the Brady version of self defense for sure. That, and just wait until the nice policeman shows up and saves you. (No disrespect to LEOs intended)

Reminds me of the time one of my dogs saw a possum in the ivy. Gave it a bite and the thing laid down with it's eyes rolled up in in its head, and even pooped a "dying" turd for effect.

Didn't fool my Jindo. She gave it one sniff, and ripped the soft underbelly right out of that thing.

The Brady's Self Defense Class
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/MovieLawyer/263890086_c9a84612b8.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSJcaDjOL-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qSJcaDjOL-c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just roll over and play dead. The bad guy will sniff you, take your wallet, and leave...?