PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorer error page

biglou
01-20-2010, 3:06 PM
Need computer help. Everytime I turn on my computer I get a page on the screen that says "Internet Explorer cannot connect to the internet". Then it lists possible reasons. It has the AT&T blue icon in the upper left corner. How do I get rid of this ? I've tried the self support tools and ran CC Cleaner. Everything else runs fine. Any help is appreciated. The guy that helps me with my computer stuff is deployed.

freonr22
01-20-2010, 3:09 PM
NOT being sarcaqstic, but why dont you just use firefox? www.mozilla.org

kpw001
01-20-2010, 7:02 PM
Is it just a problem with your homepage or can you reach other websites? (before anyone points out that he managed to post here, he could be using his phone or another computer so on and so forth...)

If you can reach other sites then maybe just a problem with your homepage. If you can't reach any other sites then try powering down everything, this usually fixes problems. Computer, router, modem the whole smack. Power on your modem, then router then computer and try again.

Also +1 on the Firefox.

armygunsmith
01-20-2010, 7:08 PM
Firefox if the way to go. looks like your browser might be using a proxy that is having issues. One more trick is to set your IE homepage to about:blank . That way IE doesn't try to connect to the internet before you're actually connected.

What kind of connection are you on anyway?

biglou
01-20-2010, 8:17 PM
Once i download Firefox do i go ahead and remove IE ? I have AT&T DSL. This error page pops up on the screen before i open IE. I just close it and then go on explorer. It's really more annoying than anything. All thumbs on computers.

armygunsmith
01-20-2010, 8:19 PM
No need to uninstall IE (it's almost impossible anyway). Just start using Firefox instead of IE.

biglou
01-20-2010, 8:21 PM
Just downloaded Firefox, thanks.

freonr22
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
awesome! I am glad it is working for you. For a bit, I Had to use ie (8) (dont ask) and if a thread had more than 10-20 posts in it and I clicked new unread post, it would start to load, a little black clock would show up in the lower left corner and the page would loop and try and load, and then try and load, looping, literally indefinitely. Anyways Good luck!

high_revs
01-21-2010, 12:39 PM
make sure you're not working offline (file -> work offline -> unchecked)

click on run -> type in cmd -> type in ping comcast.net

see if you get results. if you don't, then it's not a browser issue.

biglou
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
I noticed when this popped up i would get a little icon of a white truck on the bottom toolbar, next to the clock. After i downloaded Firefox i went to all programs and removed AT&T self service tools. It stopped the error page from coming up on my screen. Hope i didn't screw nothing up.