PDA

View Full Version : Utah CCW and ten year old DUI

JMZ
01-20-2010, 2:04 PM
I seem to remember reading about a The Utah CCW rules and seeing something about any alcohol related offenses prohibiting you from receiving your cert. Is there a time period where a DUI comes off your record or are you out of luck if you have ever gotten a DUI?

01-20-2010, 2:50 PM
In California, a DUI remains on your driving record for 7 years, unless there is a failure to appear, then it is 10 years. In California, a DUI conviction, like all criminal convictions, will stay on your criminal record forever unless you take proactive steps to remove it. People often think DUI convictions are traffic offenses, which will disappear from your record after a set period of time. But a DUI is a criminal conviction, ranging from a Class B misdemeanor to a third-degree felony depending on the circumstances. All criminal convictions will remain on NCIC and other criminal databases permanently unless you have the record expunged. I dont know if your !@#! out of luck with a CCW! I personally don't know the Utah laws on that matter.

Cokebottle
01-20-2010, 2:51 PM
I was told by a Utah instructor that as long as you are cleared from probation with no violations you are GTG, but I've also seen written information from MrCCW indicating that "ever" is a problem.
I know my boss at my last job was denied entry into Canada due to a 20 year old DUI.

When I got mine, probation was 5 years and the DUI remained on the DMV record for 7 WRT another arrest being treated as a "2nd offense". I believe probation is now 10 years but I'm not sure.

I haven't tried to get one yet though.

CCWUSA
01-20-2010, 9:09 PM
Utah BCI says Alcohol related offenses must be 6 years old, based on final disposition of the case, not the date of the offense. Here's another helpful tip:

Is there any way that I can check to see if my criminal history will prevent me from obtaining a concealed firearm permit BEFORE I go through the whole process of applying?

Yes. You can come into our office or call by phone and ask to speak with one of the investigators. If you explain to the investigator what type of problem you have had, he can give you a good idea whether you qualify for a concealed firearm permit or not.

Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84118
(801) 957-8620

MrClamperSir
01-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Am I the only one to think, by reading the title, I'd be opening up a thread about a ten year old (as in a kid) driving under the influence? :eek: I was wondering how that would've related to CCW.

SanSacto
01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
In California, a DUI remains on your driving record for 7 years, unless there is a failure to appear, then it is 10 years. In California, a DUI conviction, like all criminal convictions, will stay on your criminal record forever unless you take proactive steps to remove it. People often think DUI convictions are traffic offenses, which will disappear from your record after a set period of time. But a DUI is a criminal conviction, ranging from a Class B misdemeanor to a third-degree felony depending on the circumstances. All criminal convictions will remain on NCIC and other criminal databases permanently unless you have the record expunged. I dont know if your !@#! out of luck with a CCW! I personally don't know the Utah laws on that matter.

It is 10 years now.

anthonyca
01-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Lol. I pictured a 10 year old drunk driving for a second.

Doheny
01-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Lol. I pictured a 10 year old drunk driving for a second.

Me too!

devilinblack
01-22-2010, 9:22 AM
Per my denial letter received this morning:

"A DUI conviction carries a 6 year non eligibility for a Utah CFP, the 6 years is counted from the day you end your probation on the DUI."

Bummer.

CCWUSA
01-22-2010, 6:28 PM
Your Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor should have explained this to you when you completed the course.

I'd be bummed too :(

JimAmentler
01-22-2010, 6:57 PM
Per my denial letter received this morning:

"A DUI conviction carries a 6 year non eligibility for a Utah CFP, the 6 years is counted from the day you end your probation on the DUI."

Bummer.

That does suck that it wasn't explained to you. I always go through DUI's as that is one of the most common questions. You can apply to Florida as long as you have not had more than 2 DUI's in the previous 4 year period.

devilinblack
01-22-2010, 8:44 PM
Yeah, I spent the day debating about NV or FL. Since I'm in Orange County I'm just going to wait and see what happens with the upcoming sheriff election. Hopefully I'll be able to apply for one here.

My instructor said six years should be fine, but he apparently didn't know it wasn't six years from the date of conviction.

The Original Godfather
01-22-2010, 9:28 PM
just curious...

How many people here with the UT non-res. permit actually carry concealed in the surrounding states? And how often?

Cokebottle
01-22-2010, 9:33 PM
Yeah, I spent the day debating about NV or FL. Since I'm in Orange County I'm just going to wait and see what happens with the upcoming sheriff election. Hopefully I'll be able to apply for one here.

NV requires an in-state class now... they no longer accept Utah or Florida.

The only thing Utah gives you that Florida does not is Washington and Minnesota.

You'll want Nevada to go along with Florida. Nevada gives you a good number of states, but it doesn't give you New Mexico, Wyoming, or North Dakota. Florida does, however, Nevada also gives you Minnesota, so with Florida and Nevada, you're only missing Washington over the Utah permit (and you're picking up Nevada).

Do keep in mind that there is no way for a California resident to legally carry concealed in Colorado. Colorado, Michigan, New Hampshire, South Carolina, and Maine only honor permits that were issued by the state that the carrier resides in, so even though they accept the Utah permit, they only accept it from Utah residents. Of these 5 states, Colorado and Michigan do not issue non-resident permits, but Michigan DOES have reciprocity with California, so you're GTG there with your CA permit.

I would get Florida to get your money's worth out of the class (and even with Utah, you'd still need Florida to carry in Florida). That's a "gimmie" as long as your clear background.
Next time you have a couple of days to kill, schedule a weekday class (any day other than Friday/Saturday) in Vegas for the Nevada class, then the next morning, head down to the courthouse and pick up your permit.