PDA

View Full Version : new citizens and guns

davescz
01-20-2010, 8:08 AM
a while ago it was suggested to hand out info to new citezens on their 2 nd Admendment Rights. this would replicate the current praactice of political parties setting up sign up booths right outside new citizen swearing in ceremonies.

A handout explaining the importance of bearing arms would be given out, and folks well versed in civil rights would be avaioable to answer questions, we might even be able to offer free NRA subscriptions (via donations) to new citizens. since most new citizens are coming from nations that do not allow freedom to bear arms, this is a new concept to them. it would be good to educate them before the liberals get to them with the lies that guns are evil.

is anyone that is in apostion to organize such a thing interesting in doing it? I can help, but do not have the organizing skills.

how to procede?

troysland
01-20-2010, 9:03 AM
I think it's a great idea, to educate new citizens on Rights they have but may not be aware of. Complete knowledge of the Constitution is not required for Citizenship, but teaching facts is always a good idea. I would like to point out that the 2A also applies to Legal Residents, so Citizenship isn't a prerequisite for RKBA.

So, setting up a Calguns Booth is what you have in mind? Penny's Dad is well connected, send him a PM.

davescz
01-20-2010, 6:51 PM
ok, i dont know who Penny or or her dad are. can you post me a link, or be so kind as to forward this to him?. I am bit new at this and dont know everyone. I could do a booth thing to hand out flyers, if we get some backing maybe give out some NRA memberships, if we can get enough folks to donate, I'd be good for a couple of subscriptions to First Freedom magazine. speaking of which, maybe members could donate old copies of their NRA magazines to give to new citizens as hand outs. I tend to like to keep mine, but every now and then I tear off the address, and leave them in the hospital waiting room. they only last a day, but at least some folks are exposed to our rights this way.

any way please forward or give conact info.

thanks

lomalinda
01-21-2010, 8:05 AM
" i dont know who Penny or or her dad are

LOL, Pennysdad is the screen name. If you're new here you wouldn't know that, though, so I can see why you're confused.

Anyway, great idea and PM'ing Pennysdad (check if there's a missing apostrophe, etc.) on this would be another great idea.

Flopper
01-21-2010, 8:26 AM
New citizens are actually VERY aware of the ABILITY to own firearms in the US.

What many of them don't understand is that it's a RIGHT, and that it exists even without the 2nd Amendment.

This is a great idea. Keep up the good work!

vladbutsky
01-21-2010, 9:43 AM
I don't know why you guys are believing that new citizens are not aware of their rights. I become a citizen in 2009, but I purchesed my first firearm 5 years earlier, when I got my Green Card ;)

I would say that a lot of citizens by birth are much less aware of their rights and of the fact that these rights can disappear very easily if people would stop fighting for them. I think a lot of people who came from other countries and become citizens saw how it can be without the bill of rights (or with weak version of it) and do not take what we have here for granted.

On the citizenship interview the officer asked me about my membership in NRA and if it is easy to purchase firearms...
It was funny and sad that he had no idea about this.

In any case I think exposure for us is good and I when one becomes a citizen after many years of waiting, he/she is in a very special mood and is ready to listen to our message.

dustoff31
01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
I would say that a lot of citizens by birth are much less aware of their rights and of the fact that these rights can disappear very easily if people would stop fighting for them. I think a lot of people who came from other countries and become citizens saw how it can be without the bill of rights (or with weak version of it) and do not take what we have here for granted.

On the citizenship interview the officer asked me about my membership in NRA and if it is easy to purchase firearms...
It was funny and sad that he had no idea about this.

You are quite right.

Some time back there was story in the media that a great many natural born US citizens, (I forget the number, but it was over 50%) were not able pass the written examination that those applying for naturalization must pass.

Steyrlp10
01-21-2010, 11:13 AM
I don't know why you guys are believing that new citizens are not aware of their rights. I become a citizen in 2009, but I purchesed my first firearm 5 years earlier, when I got my Green Card ;).

Congrats on becoming a citizen!

davescz
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
well not all new citizens are up on gun rights, i have had discussions with new folks from russia, and they were anti-gun, thought that crime was connected to guns, and could not understand why I was pro-gun.
at anyrate we need to reach them, as for born here citizens, we got work to do also, the schooling system is very anti-gun (gun free zones and such) so we have our wrok cut out. the thing is that new citizens are already adults that can vote, by reaching then now, they can effect elections now, what we teach kids in schools wont pay off for a decade ro so as far as voting in better laws. yes we need to teach both new arrivals and born here folks.

I just see some potential easy pickings for gun education at a citizenship swearing in ceremony. a free gift of irst freedom magazine, maybe get some coupons from gun stores etc.. will help, we could get a number of nice folks to man a booth and distribute info. who can help organize this?

pingpong
01-21-2010, 12:00 PM
well not all new citizens are up on gun rights, i have had discussions with new folks from russia, and they were anti-gun, thought that crime was connected to guns, and could not understand why I was pro-gun.

Generally, I think if they came from rural areas or the farms they tend to be more keen to getting guns (probably because they wish they had them for hunting or protection or whatever).

For instance, many of the Chinese immigrants I know who came from the country liked the idea of owning guns (probably because they got the shaft a few times from the government a few times back home). Those ones that came from the cities seemed to think owning guns was a bad idea because it would just make people want to kill you instead of just robbing you :rolleyes:.

Interestingly, some of the Mexican immigrants I know who came from Mexico City like guns (probably because they've seen first hand how stupid and useless a gun ban actually is towards lowering crime).

I guess in their mind, if guns weren't OK back home and their lives were still OK (i.e. not getting mugged left and right), then guns = bad.

vladbutsky
01-21-2010, 5:23 PM
Congrats on becoming a citizen!
Thanks!

I think we need to propose the event here:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=171265

davescz
01-22-2010, 6:09 AM
anyone??? Pennys Dad???? is this idea dead? dont want to waste my time if there is no interest.

anyone?????

vladbutsky
01-22-2010, 9:13 AM
I posted a reference to this thread in CalGuns official events thread. We'll see it there is enough support for it.

davescz
01-22-2010, 3:31 PM
Thanks!!!!

AndrewMendez
01-23-2010, 4:06 AM
PennysDad is Jacob, he is the LA/OC/IE coordinator. Where are you located? I will send this link to him.

pennys dad
01-23-2010, 6:04 AM
Hi, Andrew directed me here, I read the post. I am posting this in the planning section right now to see what happens. I will keep everyone post. Thank you for the great idea.
Thx Andrew for directing me here and Thx Davescz for the idea.

pennys dad
01-23-2010, 6:34 AM
On a side note has everyone in this thread gone and checked in at a roll call for their area?

Follow the thread and find the area that best works for you.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/forumdisplay.php?f=183

Thx everyone