PDA

View Full Version : SKS with detach mag, will this work

lazyman
12-29-2005, 1:44 PM
I understand that in order to use your detachable sks mags (duckbill style) you would have had to register your SKS as an AW in 2000 and cut the bayo lug off. I was thinking, is there any possible way to take ur SKS get the 10 or so U.S. parts to make it domestically compliant, cut off the bayo lug and use your detachable mags legally???

berg
12-29-2005, 1:53 PM
I understand that in order to use your detachable sks mags (duckbill style) you would have had to register your SKS as an AW in 2000 and cut the bayo lug off. I was thinking, is there any possible way to take ur SKS get the 10 or so U.S. parts to make it domestically compliant, cut off the bayo lug and use your detachable mags legally???

Give these guys (http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/index.html) a shout and get a real answer.

grammaton76
12-29-2005, 2:00 PM
I refer you to page 29 of the DOJ assault weapons identification guide:

"Manufacturer: Various"
"Comments: The SKS rifle was originally manufactured with a fixed 10 round magazine. However, modified versions accept detachable magazines and are assault weapons."

It's pretty plainly obvious here that CA means if your SKS was modified for detachable mags, it constitutes an AW.

That having been said, the SKS-M and SKS-D were BUILT to take detachable magazines, not modified afterwards. It seems however that California doesn't care about that pesky detail, and regards all detachable-mag SKSes as AW's. Just talk to the guys who had theirs confiscated...

lazyman
12-29-2005, 2:02 PM
that was SKS's that could take AK mags though no??? I thought duckbill was different

MrTuffPaws
12-29-2005, 2:14 PM
Sorry, correct me if I am wrong, but the 10 parts rule is for federal compliance with 922r.

The SKS is listed out in CA law books by name and cannot use a detatchable mag unless you move out of state.

12276. As used in this chapter, "assault weapon" shall mean the
following designated semiautomatic firearms:
(a) All of the following specified rifles:
(1) All AK series including, but not limited to, the models
identified as follows:
(A) Made in China AK, AKM, AKS, AK47, AK47S, 56, 56S, 84S, and
86S................
(11) SKS with detachable magazine.

grammaton76
12-29-2005, 3:39 PM
that was SKS's that could take AK mags though no??? I thought duckbill was different

Remember, the DOJ is not going to take prior history into consideration - only what they can nail you with. A duck-bill magazine is in fact detachable, and I wouldn't want to be caught with one. If I were you, unless the DOJ specifically states you can have an SKS with detachable mags (I would bring up the modified vs original equipment point), I wouldn't even think about putting a detachable mag on one. I own two Yugo's, and have learned that stripper clips are your friend.

What I *DO* want is the derivative of the Hakim. 7.62x39mm, detachable magazine, looks for all the world like an SKS but it's based off of the Ljunggman action which the Hakim uses. That's your best bet if you want a detachable mag in something that looks like an SKS. I saw one for $550 at the last gun show, and am still feeling pain about not having bought it.

Remember, if you want detachable-mag guns in California, look at obscure milsurps. PM me if you want the name of the rifle in question, I feel no desire to give the DOJ more rifle names to add to the AW list when they revise it next time.

sintax
12-29-2005, 4:05 PM
Those SKS duckbill mags suck. I would rather feed each round in by hand then use one of those.

As for the SKS-D and the likes, those DID use ak-style mags, and are a bit of a different breed.

lazyman
12-29-2005, 9:17 PM
yeah I know those duckbills are a POS. I like stripper clips but mine don't slide to smoothly