PDA

View Full Version : HDD with old OS, and files. Sharing?

V8toytruck
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
I am running Win7 on my new system and when I plugged in my old system HDD (WinXP) I have to select all files > share > Share with everyone in my home group to access those files. I cannot share the entire drive or entire folders.

If I don't I get the message that I do not have permission to access the file LOCATION.

Anyone know how to get it so I can freely access everything like a normal drive?

Only manually sharing homegroup files have worked so far (Going into a folder, select all and share>share w/homegroup). If I disable home group, it still does not let me freely access my files. I have to share with homegroup again.

Kinda confusing...if you need any more info I'll do the best I can.

Thanks in advance

PS..I am NOT trying to migrate data into new system drive (I only have a 80GB SSD), I merely want free access to an old drive that once ran WinXP and iall its folders. Once I pull out all the data I'll just format the drive. Even moving files requires admin permission which consists of me clicking ''Ok''

armygunsmith
01-19-2010, 11:09 PM
It seems like all the files on your old dive are still referencing the old permissions. You will have to take ownership of all the files on your old drive first. Check out the link,
http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm

V8toytruck
01-19-2010, 11:22 PM
Sir I owe you a beer. It worked :)

armygunsmith
01-19-2010, 11:27 PM
No worries, glad to help.