PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Shoot at San Mateo Coyote Point?

elmo
12-29-2005, 10:31 AM
I normally shoot at either reeds indoor range (pistol) or los altos gun and shooting club in teh santa cruz mountains for rifle etc.

but does anyone shoot at the san mateo coyote point? Their website and phone number is very limited in information.

apparently they have a 100 yard rifle range, and a .22 pistol range. but what hours do they have? friendly? bring your own targets?

Also can anyone recommend any other good shooting ranges close to redwood city, ca? Thanks

berg
12-29-2005, 1:49 PM
I shoot there at times and a friend is a member. You can only shoot at night Mon Wed and Fri. They only have 100 yard stalls for centerfire rifle caliber but you can shoot closer if you have pistol caliber rifles like lever action Marlins and such.

You can only shoot at the bench, no standing or prone, in the centerfire stalls.

If you like .22s you can shoot (50 yards max) standing sitting or prone and they have padded mats for your comfort.

It's $10 (cash only) and you have to have a chamber flag. If not you can "borrow" one for a buck which is refunded when you return it or you can just keep it.

If you are a member you can shoot weekend with the cops and even centerfire pistols are allowed.

their web site is basically dead, it hasn't been updated in a long time and they have little interest in doing so. A guy who was a member is hosting it for them for free.

elmo
12-29-2005, 2:20 PM
thanks for that info, and yes their website is dead, thus i had to ask.

that's the information i needed.

xsquid
12-29-2005, 2:24 PM
The range is operated by the Sheriffs Dept. and will require you have your registration paperwork if you bring an "evil black rifle" - never been there myself. Your close enuff to Chabot or Richmond which are 2 decent ranges.

bwiese
12-29-2005, 4:15 PM
Coyote Pt Firing Range is open Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 7 to 10pm. Dunno about holidays, or if range is open when raining.

Can't remember if it's $10 per shooting position or per shooter (i.e., if you and buddies all share a position).

Bring your reg papers if you're shooting an assault weapon.

berg
12-29-2005, 6:31 PM
The range is operated by the Sheriffs Dept. and will require you have your registration paperwork if you bring an "evil black rifle" - never been there myself. Your close enuff to Chabot or Richmond which are 2 decent ranges.

I'm not sure where this "show your papers" rumor started but I've never been asked for any when I bring my Bushmaster and I've never seen anyone else get asked.

My friend who is a member also works there once a month as a range safety officer and he said no one ever told him to check reg papers and there is no policy of doing so.

bwiese
12-29-2005, 7:21 PM
I'm not sure where this "show your papers" rumor started but I've never been asked for any when I bring my Bushmaster and I've never seen anyone else get asked.

My friend who is a member also works there once a month as a range safety officer and he said no one ever told him to check reg papers and there is no policy of doing so.

It ain't a rumor.

The 15-20 times I've been to Coyote Pt since 2001 they've asked me what I'm shooting when I check in and pay the fee. When I say an "AR" or "FAL clone" they ask for my reg papers.

50 Freak
12-29-2005, 11:36 PM
Ditto on the "your papers please".

I've only shot there once but they asked for my AW papers when I brought my AR.

I understand they also have a stick up their *****es when it comes to flash-hiders.

They won't allow you to shoot rifles with them. Muzzle breaks okay. (or MB not allowed, FH allowed). Don't remember which it is, but I remember them hassling me about that before also.

This was before the federal AW ban died. So things may have changed in that front.

Dont Tread on Me
12-30-2005, 6:43 AM
I've not shot at Coyote Point, but I don't like the "show me your papers" attitude. I've got nothing to hide but I'm sensative to Range Hitlers. Are they going to send me home if I bring my SU-16 with pre-ban AR mags and no recipt with date of purchase? How about my muzzle break that looks a lot like a flash hider if I've forgotten to bring the recip? It is OK to check my weapon fits the caliber limits and is safe etc. Anything else crosses the line.

I really recommend Chabot.

PS: having grown up the UK and had my guns confensacted once makes me quite sensitive to this sort of thing!

berg
12-30-2005, 4:07 PM
It ain't a rumor.

The 15-20 times I've been to Coyote Pt since 2001 they've asked me what I'm shooting when I check in and pay the fee. When I say an "AR" or "FAL clone" they ask for my reg papers.

I asked my buddy who does the RSO work to clarify about that. He said that in the time that he's been there they don't have a blanket policy of asking for papers, they just don't ask people who don't arrouse their suspicion.

So I was wrong sorry about that.

BigAL
12-30-2005, 4:19 PM
I asked my buddy who does the RSO work to clarify about that. He said that in the time that he's been there they don't have a blanket policy of asking for papers, they just don't ask people who don't arrouse their suspicion.

Oh even better. They just profile people!:rolleyes:

Seriously, I've discussed before on the old board how I dislike Coyote Point and the BS you have to put up with there. That range represents everything that can go wrong within the shooting community.

Where are your papers comrade?

50 Freak
12-30-2005, 5:07 PM
Now I'm really offended.

I can see them asking Bill (he does look like a speed freak). :rolleyes:

But I sure as hell don't look like your local "homie". Must be my "mysterious" airs.