PDA

View Full Version : 50 BMG Registration Window Closing

Technical Ted
12-29-2005, 12:00 AM
xxxxxxxxxxxx

booknut
12-29-2005, 12:14 AM
The registration period ends April of 2006.

I suppose a little reminder now-and-then doesn't hurt though.

Wonder how many people will wait too long?

gobabygo
12-29-2005, 12:16 AM
We have until April 30, 2006 don't we?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/50bmgfaqs.htm#3

What is the .50 BMG rifle registration period?
The .50 BMG rifle registration period is from January 1, 2005 through April 30, 2006.

bu-bye
12-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I'll have to reg my lower soon. My upper is still on lay-away :D

Turbinator
12-29-2005, 3:25 PM
Anyone know where we get the forms for the reg?

Turby

ldivinag
12-29-2005, 3:31 PM

Turby

my FFL gave me one when i got my serbu lower from him last year... lol...

i still have it in the car.

Boomer1961
12-29-2005, 6:05 PM

Turby

Anyone care to post a link to the form? Is it on the CaDOJ website?

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

scorpionusa
12-29-2005, 7:11 PM
Just received my reg. confirmation letter for my FAB10 w/ ALS upper just before christmas. Took me about 3 weeks to get that letter.

My FAB10 w/ ALS upper
http://www.rap4.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10002/P1090090.jpg

Weird thing is the DOJ messed up the Make of the receiver. I put Shoeless Ventures Inc. in the reg. form as Make of the FAB10, they called me back said they couln't find Shoeless Ventures on the Make list and asked if it's a Bushmaster, I said no, it's Shoeless Ventures Inc. I even provided them the www.fabten.com website. A week later, they sent me the confirmation letter and guess what they put under Make: Vulcan Arms Inc! I was like, where the hell did they get that from. It turns out that the lady who processed my reg. did a search on yahoo for FAB10 and one of the search results show a calguns.net link with some text that has FAB10 and Vulcan next to each other as she included a print out of the search with the confirmation letter. So she figured the Make of the FAB10 is Vulcan. Un-****ing-belivable! I had to send them a letter showing the receiver pictures that only have Shoeless Ventures Inc stamped on it and no Vulcan Arms Inc anywhere on it. A few days later I received another confirmation letter and this time the Make is USA. I don't know what else to say, so I guess I'll just leave it as that. At least they got the serial # and the model right, which is FAB10.

I don't think I'm the only one in CA who tried to register a FAB10 with a .50BMG upper. Either the lady at the DOJ is new, or she doesn't know anything about the FAB10, but it's funny how she interpreted from a yahoo search result and decided that the Make for the FAB10 is Vulcan Arms

bu-bye
12-29-2005, 7:26 PM
I don't think I'm the only one in CA who tried to register a FAB10 with a .50BMG upper.

I might be the second :D . I'll remember to expain just what I have when I reg mine.

scorpionusa
12-29-2005, 7:45 PM
Cool! Are you getting the ALS upper too or what kind of upper are you getting? The ALS's one of the the best uppers and affordable for a .50 . I love mine. I waited 6 months for it, but it worths the wait. I ordered it before they raised the price.

Anyone care to post a link to the form? Is it on the CaDOJ website?

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

You can't download the registration form online, but you can get it at any gun store or FFL. I got mine from Reeds Store

bu-bye
12-29-2005, 7:51 PM
I plan to get an Ultramag upper for mine. http://www.ultramag50.com

icormba
12-29-2005, 7:51 PM
Weird thing is the DOJ messed up the Make of the receiver. I put Shoeless Ventures Inc. in the reg. form as Make of the FAB10, they called me back said they couln't find Shoeless Ventures on the Make list and asked if it's a Bushmaster, I said no, it's Shoeless Ventures Inc. I even provided them the www.fabten.com website. A week later, they sent me the confirmation letter and guess what they put under Make: Vulcan Arms Inc! I was like, where the hell did they get that from. It turns out that the lady who processed my reg. did a search on yahoo for FAB10 and one of the search results show a calguns.net link with some text that has FAB10 and Vulcan next to each other as she included a print out of the search with the confirmation letter. So she figured the Make of the FAB10 is Vulcan. Un-****ing-belivable! I had to send them a letter showing the receiver pictures that only have Shoeless Ventures Inc stamped on it and no Vulcan Arms Inc anywhere on it. A few days later I received another confirmation letter and this time the Make is USA. I don't know what else to say, so I guess I'll just leave it as that. At least they got the serial # and the model right, which is FAB10.

That's pretty damn funny!!! :) :D
I wonder what kind of results she will get on the next search? hmmmm... maybe this thread!! haha!!! :D :D

scorpionusa
12-29-2005, 8:15 PM
I plan to get an Ultramag upper for mine. http://www.ultramag50.com
I orignially wanted to get the UM50 as it is mag fed and looks better, but then I heard so much about the ALS reputation as it has won many fifty cal matches & championships. It's also cheaper than the UM50 w/ 29" barrel (the ALS has 33" barrel with match chamber), and the mag fed bolt action on the UM50 doesn't really provide any advantage over the traditional single shot bolt action. It even makes the gun unbalance as the mag is side fed. If you shoot long range matches, that may affects the gun's performance. The only downside of the ALS is the heavy weight, the upper alone weighs 32lbs, but all that weight help it shoot better and the muzzle break is so affective that the recoil feels like a push, much less felt recoil than an M1a. It's the muzzle blast\ shockwave that gets you.

MikeG22
12-29-2005, 9:19 PM
Just call the DOJ and they will send the form out to you. It's a weird cardstock kinda deal that you cannot just print out. I called and had it within like 2 days for my Serbu. Still need to send it in one of these days though.

DrjonesUSA
12-30-2005, 8:45 PM

I don't think I'm the only one in CA who tried to register a FAB10 with a .50BMG upper. Either the lady at the DOJ is new, or she doesn't know anything about the FAB10, but it's funny how she interpreted from a yahoo search result and decided that the Make for the FAB10 is Vulcan Arms

That's nice that the DOJ is employing people who are less intelligent than a sweat sock.

www.fabten.com was the FIRST link google provided on a search for "Shoeless Ventures". :rolleyes:

DrjonesUSA
12-30-2005, 8:46 PM
Scorpion:

Is that a Super Sniper on your big guy?

What power?

I have a 16x on my 700P & love it so much that I plan on getting a 20x for my .50. :)

What rings you have on there? Badger Max 50's?

Turbinator
12-30-2005, 8:50 PM
Just call the DOJ and they will send the form out to you. It's a weird cardstock kinda deal that you cannot just print out. I called and had it within like 2 days for my Serbu. Still need to send it in one of these days though.

Thanks, I will give them a call next week or so and get one sent out to me. I might also just try Reed's store to see if they have it.

Thanks all!

I'm guessing it resembles the same reg form that was used for SB23 compliance.

Turby

scorpionusa
12-30-2005, 9:28 PM
Scorpion:
Is that a Super Sniper on your big guy?
What power?
I have a 16x on my 700P & love it so much that I plan on getting a 20x for my .50. :)
What rings you have on there? Badger Max 50's?
Drjones,
Yes, it's a SS 20x42. It's a decent .50BMG scope for a decent price. Wish I could get the Nightforce, which is the best glass for .50BMG, even a used one is still good, but those are a bit pricey. And yes, those are Badger Max50 rings.

What .50 do you have?

booknut
12-31-2005, 8:06 AM
I haven't thought about the .50 issue for a while so I might not be remembering correctly... but...

Didn't we have to already have the receiver/lower in our possession when the 'ban' went into place?

In other words, any receiver/lower recently purchased will not be able to be registered as a .50 BMG AW?

Happy for some clarification on this.
Although I've had mine since a couple of years ago.

Turbinator
12-31-2005, 9:27 AM
Booknut,

I think you're right. I obtained my DPMS single shot receiver in Nov of 2004, so I believe I can legally reg it as a .50BMG up until April 2006. If I had obtained it post Jan 1, 2005, I would not be eligible to register as a .50BMG.

Turby

thisismyboomstick
12-31-2005, 2:43 PM
Booknut, There is still hope for you in the .223 lowers. If you buy one and then if is determined to be an AW. Once you register it, you can add a 50 BMG upper and be legal. It was determined that AW that were 50 BMG did not have to be registered as 50s.

This is definitely a gray area. I wouldn't touch something like that with a ten foot pole.

bu-bye
12-31-2005, 6:30 PM
This is definitely a gray area. I wouldn't touch something like that with a ten foot pole.

I agree. the AW ban and the 50bmg ban are not in the same boat. I bought my Fab-10 back in 02 (I think) so I can reg it as an 50 BMG lower if I wanted to.

bwiese
01-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I agree. the AW ban and the 50bmg ban are not in the same boat. I bought my Fab-10 back in 02 (I think) so I can reg it as an 50 BMG lower if I wanted to.

I would not reg any non-50BMG receiver (like a DPMS single-shot or FAB10 etc) unless you already had the attribute that made it 50BMG before 1/2005.

This would not apply to 50BMG-specific receivers (Serbu, etc.)

uglygun
01-06-2006, 5:20 AM
One more picture of a 50BMG to be registered soon.

Just gotta put my stupid thumb print on the card and send it in.

Nice little picture that shows the scale/size of the ALS upper. The varmint rifle in the middle measures 48 inches from butt to muzzle.

http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/50sbigger/big*****.jpg

Bolt2Bounce
01-23-2006, 8:41 PM
My question is..... the ALS 50BMG upper is not a 50 BMG rifle... it has no serial number.... it is just gun parts, that are unregulated.....correct... the FAB-10 receiver is not a CAL AW..... correct so you can legally have both with out registering either one.... Correct??? yea or neigh BTW I've seen them shoot at the FCSA matches and they really do shoot that well. ;)

50BMGBOB
01-23-2006, 9:35 PM
If you had the FAB 10 before 2005 then way not go a head and register it as a 50 cal even if you don't have a 50 cal upper yet. Otherwise,if you don't have a registered receiver for it they might try to get you even if they aren't put together. Better safe than sorry.

Omega13device
01-23-2006, 9:52 PM
From the California AR/AK Series AW FAQ:

Though the registration form asks about caliber and barrel length, this is for informational purposes only: its perfectly legal to reconfigure an assault weapon registered with one caliber & barrel length into one with another caliber and barrel length. (In fact, if multiple calibers for one gun are specified on the registration form, registration papers returned from DOJ show 8888 as the caliber designation for such firearms.)

Keeping in mind that the FAQ shouldn't be construed as legal advice, this suggests to me that it doesn't matter what caliber upper you put on your registered lower.

Can someone pull a relevant snippet from the .50 ban language that speaks to this issue one way or the other?