PDA

View Full Version : stripped pistol lower - importation and PPT?

stan
01-19-2010, 4:03 PM
i have a friend who lives in arizona (is an arizona resident) but will be moving to CA soon and having it be his permanent residence.

if he buys a stripped ar-15 lower, which i am under the impression is doable in arizona, and then brings it with him when he moves here to CA, is he allowed to sell one to me via PPT? how long from the day he moves does he have to wait before he can PPT those stripped pistol lower(s)?

wildhawker
01-19-2010, 4:05 PM
When he has a CA ID or CDL he'll be able to complete the PPT of a stripped lower to you (or anyone else not otherwise prohibited) as a pistol.

lorax3
01-19-2010, 4:11 PM
There may be an issue of PPT'ing just the stripped lower due to the safe handgun demonstration.

Unless the FFL has another AR pistol to use(or you are otherwise exempt), they may require the pistol to be built before it can be transferred.

Again, this is not a roster issue, just the safe handgun demonstration.

stan
01-19-2010, 4:13 PM
When he has a CA ID or CDL he'll be able to complete the PPT of a stripped lower to you (or anyone else not otherwise prohibited) as a pistol.

there are no residency duration requirements there? are you sure? so as soon as he has a CDL or CAID he's a resident for purposes of PPT?????

THATS AWESOME!!!

SP1200
01-19-2010, 4:27 PM
I believe he would need to fill out a "new resident handgun registration" form, then wait for the conformation, then the striped lower will show up as a pistol that then can be PPT'ed.

lorax3
01-19-2010, 4:30 PM
I believe he would need to fill out a "new resident handgun registration" form, then wait for the conformation, then the striped lower will show up as a pistol that then can be PPT'ed.

No need. He could if he wanted to, but as the lower should have already been a 'other' on the 4473 and has never been DROS'd there is no issues going straight for a PPT.

As the new resident form also asks for fields like barrel length it may need to be built up anyway.

wildhawker
01-19-2010, 5:08 PM
There may be an issue of PPT'ing just the stripped lower due to the safe handgun demonstration.

Obviously, if the buyer had a FFL03 w/ COE this would be a non-issue. However, since the DROS system is chock-full of underground regs I prefer to confidently state that I have, indeed, performed a safe handling demonstration with [that] (unassembled yet classified as a handgun) stripped lower receiver.

Unless the FFL has another AR pistol to use(or you are otherwise exempt), they may require the pistol to be built before it can be transferred.

Commencing January 1, 2003, except as authorized by the
department, no firearms dealer may deliver a handgun unless the
recipient performs a safe handling demonstration with that handgun.

Pursuant to Penal Code section 12071, prior to taking delivery of a handgun from
a licensed firearms dealer in California, an individual must correctly perform a
safe handling demonstration with the handgun he or she is acquiring.

This may be an underground regulation as PC does not define "that" handgun to be "the" exact same handgun to be transferred to the buyer.

Again, this is not a roster issue, just the safe handgun demonstration.

Which will likely require some revision to allow for all possible variants of handguns, or waive the requirement for unassembled handguns.

lorax3
01-19-2010, 5:39 PM
This may be an underground regulation as PC does not define "that" handgun to be "the" exact same handgun to be transferred to the buyer.

Well I read that as either the same gun or same model.

I however do not see any specifications on preforming a safety demo on a non-semiautomatic pistol and non-revolver.

I bet it was an interesting sight to watch as you demonstrated the safety of a stripped lower. :)

wildhawker
01-19-2010, 5:54 PM
Well I read that as either the same gun or same model.

I however do not see any specifications on preforming a safety demo on a non-semiautomatic pistol and non-revolver.

I bet it was an interesting sight to watch as you demonstrated the safety of a stripped lower. :)

It was quite entailed, and, I would bet, entertaining. ;)