PDA

View Full Version : James Cameron: ‘Like the Redneck NRA Supporters They Are’

01-19-2010, 8:23 AM
If you paid $12 f your hard earned money to see Avatar, you may also want to know this:

James Cameron: ‘Like the Redneck NRA Supporters They Are’

by John Nolte

This appears to be accurate. Both Ain’t It Cool News and JoBlo.com have posted James Cameron’s full “Avatar” script. To triple-check I went to the 20th Century-Fox site and found that they posted the same script, as well. After being as careful as possible (wouldn’t want to smear Cameron like he did the U.S. Marines. NOTE for Leftist hair-splitters: former Marines), I bring you a scene written by James Cameron that was cut from the final film but serves as a glimpse at the director’s childish prejudices and mindset:

INT. ARMOR BAY – DAY

TROOPERS issue automatic weapons and magazines to a long line of mine workers. The miners lock and load like the redblooded redneck NRA supporters they are.

BLASTING TECHS are setting radio-detonated primer charges into two-ton stacks of EXPLOSIVE COMPOUND. The stacks are band-strapped together on pallets.

TRACKING WITH SELFRIDGE, staring around him in growing dismay as he walks through the full-scale mobilization. He approaches Quaritch, who is barking orders amid a hive of activity around the ampsuits.

SELFRIDGE
This thing is completely out of control!

Quaritch ignores him, turning away to focus on ordnance loading.

SELFRIDGE
Listen to me! I am not authorizing you to turn the mine-workers local into a freakin’ militia!

Big Hollywood has the rest here (http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2010/01/13/james-cameron-like-the-redneck-nra-supporters-they-are/)

You can see the full script here (http://www.joblo.com/JamesCameronAVATAR.pdf). The scene above can be found on page 125.

All of you redneck NRA supporters who paid to see Cameron's America trashing / military demeaning propaganda movie just made him a few dozen million dollar richer. Good job guys!

I for one have sent him an email saying I'm a middle aged NRA member born and raised in Eastern Europe, who speaks four languages and who first heard about the word "redneck" 10 years ago. But if my guns and the NRA membership automatically makes me a redneck, then I am damn proud to be one.

69Mach1
01-19-2010, 8:29 AM
Avatar was long, predictible, and boring. Save your money.

nrakid88
01-19-2010, 8:31 AM
Eh, I can see him writing that, doesn't suprise me... I dated part of his extended family, let me tell you first hand, there are MANY pyshcological family problems, haha his childish behaviour should be expected.

PatriotnMore
01-19-2010, 9:05 AM
Have not seen it, with a statement like that, no wonder he was the Golden Globe winner. It is funny, we can't wait to hand the Hollywood ilk our money for two hours of entertainment, and then curse them for their politics, views, excess and clout. They make action movies with guns and explosions, fast cars and beautiful women, only to take that money and use it against the very people who support them.

It is like a bad abusive relationship where the abuser is rewarded, and the abused forgives and continues in the relationship, all the while complaining about it.

glock_this
01-19-2010, 9:05 AM
sorry.. but this is a :dupe:

see here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=259190)

vantec08
01-19-2010, 9:25 AM
I quit supporting hollyweird yearssss ago.

ZombieTactics
01-19-2010, 9:50 AM
The miners lock and load like the redblooded redneck NRA supporters they are. (boldface added)

As irritating as it is, it's also comically incoherent. Is there some special way of locking and loading common or exclusive to NRA supporters who are redblooded and redneck?

I mean, I'm an NRA member, and consider my self redblooded, but I am not a redneck. Am I not allowed to know or use this special technique of locking and loading? Is is limited to their ranks only? Is it especially tacticool or sumpin?

I feel so left out, so excluded, so small and insignificant. How will I ever look my gun-owning friends (or - oh god - my wife, my children ... my MOTHER) in the face again?

SevenFifty
01-19-2010, 10:21 AM
If you forget to renew your NRA membership do you lose this special ability?

bohoki
01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
so what if hitler sits in his bunker stewing like the handgun control inc supporter he is

does that reflect badly on the organization or other members?

maybe their nra doesnt stand for the "nation rifle association"

curtisfong
01-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I'd bet Avatar's gross ticket sales that Cameron would be pro-gun if the movie industry didn't have the ridiculous gun-control exemptions they have here in CA.

aermotor
01-19-2010, 10:47 AM
It's a script people...

madmike
01-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Who cares? The movie looks stupid anyway, like the bastard son of Star Wars and Shrek.

-madmike.

tiki
01-19-2010, 11:04 AM
I am a redblooded redneck NRA Life Member...
And Damn proud.

And, like aermotor said, it's a script. Relax, it means nothing.

Sticks and stones my people. Sticks and stones.

7x57
01-19-2010, 11:06 AM
It's a script people...

It appears to be a communication from the writer(s) to the actors (and director, I suppose, unless the director had a hand in the script) and as such is far more likely to reflect their true opinions than a policy statement. Someone regarded 'redneck NRA supporters' as an effective means of communication between industry people, which is more or less as indicative of private feelings as having someone privately tell you how angry he is that 'them coloreds ain't getting turned away from the polls' when he wouldn't say that for the newspaper.

Which is, pretty much, how they regard us.

7x57

putput
01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
Um, I look at this like a compliment. I mean rather than cower in fear and cry over the lack of a fresh frapachino, the minors are trained and ready to rock - just like us redblooded redneck NRA types. Unless of coarse this was supposed to be derogatory, then on behalf of "my people" everywhere, FU.

odysseus
01-19-2010, 11:20 AM

7x57

Exactly. People need to resist their urge to be fan-boys and see it more objectively. Certainly it is a thrilling sci-fi CGI adventure and plays well on the big screen, but Cameron is deep into the elitist left of Hollywood, despite making action films with firearms. Just be cognizant of what is going on around you and what you are buying, and certainly if you want to anyway, ok. Just don't deny reality.

Roadrunner
01-19-2010, 11:24 AM

Are you a James Cameron apologist or something? It was discussed before and you blew off my interpretation of the movie.

ugh come on man.. it's just a movie

your making the tie in your own head to it being about Americans and the USA.

someone in Australia come make the same tie between themselves and the aborigines.

all it "vilifies" is "the man" (insert your own "man" here - big corporations, governments, countries, people, political groups, etc)

as has been said, there are no new themes to create. this is just the recycling of an ages old theme. you can tie it to and make a connection to whatever negative spin you want

or you can just watch the thing as a darn scifi movie and simple entertainment and get on with it and not go looking for some deeper darker commentary on life or anti USA slant.

I just hate it when I'm right.

curtisfong
01-19-2010, 11:25 AM

Devils advocate: Stuff like this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3665112#post3665112) doesn't help.

odysseus
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Devils advocate: Stuff like this (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=3665112#post3665112) doesn't help.

So judge everyone by the action of a collection of idiots? Free will means there are idiots walking among us. A wrong added to a wrong, only makes more wrong.

Hopi
01-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I heard that the $3.50 charge for the 3D glasses was actually a front for Brady Bunch donations....Damn those sneaky [insert here whatever pejorative makes you feel better about yourself today]

curtisfong
01-19-2010, 11:31 AM
So judge everyone by the action of a collection of idiots?

Yes. I agree that is a common problem. I'd say more common than most people (across the entire political spectrum) would like to admit.

odysseus
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I'd say more common than most people (across the entire political spectrum) would like to admit.

Sad, but true.

wildhawker
01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I heard that the $3.50 charge for the 3D glasses was actually a front for Brady Bunch donations....Damn those sneaky [insert here whatever pejorative makes you feel better about yourself today]

<chuckling>

strangerdude
01-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Not offended, I'm not a "redneck" and I don't support the NRA.

Lateralus
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I have had enough.

Why must you have to agree with a movie for it to be good? Can a movie have merit and still retain an anti gun/military message? I'm tired of the blatant advocation of censorship that reeks from some people here. Please, for the love of art, separate what you believe and don't apply it as a gauge to how much you enjoy viewing a movie.

When you look at it, almost every war movie ever made uses violence to satire the horrors of war. It's too bad most people here only post about which weapons were in it, or how many Hollywood "Weapon fails" there were.

Lets look at James Cameron. How many of you liked Terminator 2? Did you ever notice that John Connor (Edward Furlong) never once fires a gun during the entire movie? He will load them, clean them and handle them but never once pulls the trigger. He states several times that killing, even to prevent more death, is still wrong.

I guarantee there are many wonderful movies out there you would all enjoy very much if you could view them for what they are, and not what you want them to be.

/rant

Hoop
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Sticks and stones my people. Sticks and stones.

Words are far more powerful than weapons.

Glock22Fan
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd bet Avatar's gross ticket sales that Cameron would be pro-gun if the movie industry didn't have the ridiculous gun-control exemptions they have here in CA.

No, they'd just film out of state. As they already do for many movies for many reasons.

bigstick61
01-19-2010, 12:25 PM
The movie looked lame anyways. The thought of watching it never even crossed my mind. Given how much going to the movies costs these days, I am very picky about what I go see.

Glock22Fan
01-19-2010, 12:32 PM
When you look at it, almost every war movie ever made uses violence to satire the horrors of war. It's too bad most people here only post about which weapons were in it, or how many Hollywood "Weapon fails" there were.

That might be true most recently, but a lot of movies have been made (particularly those based on true life) that tell a story of brave men battling against the odds. There is usually violence in them, but that's because they depict a violent scenario, not because the director is making satirical movies.

7x57
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Indeed, but when the gun is edited out of self-defense stories and the only guy interviewed at a gun-rights event is the one guy with camo and swastikas then nothing will really help. Our own loose-cannons are not the cause of the prejudice, only tools to be used to confirm the other side's preconceptions.

7x57

Asmodai
01-19-2010, 2:05 PM
I feel so good that I watched it for free :chris:

It's Dances with Wolves meets Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Let's see:

Anti-Industry ('we will get the unobtanium!')

Anti-War (helpless natives being killed by soldiers)

Anti-Bush ('They're planning some sort of shock and awe demonstration')

Anti-Military Contractors (all the evil people were former military on Earth)

Pro-Green (natives are non-technology oriented)

Pro-Gaia (the entire world is aware and connected)

It was pretty crappy actually, but since most kids won't have seen Dances with Wolves, they'll think it's cool.

N6ATF
01-19-2010, 2:57 PM
The movie looked lame anyways. The thought of watching it never even crossed my mind. Given how much going to the movies costs these days, I am very picky about what I go see.

Ditto.

aileron
01-19-2010, 3:27 PM
So I guess this leaves out all the ethnic groups that are gun owners. Interesting. I kind of feel that this is unfair to ethnic groups everywhere.

B Strong
01-19-2010, 4:09 PM
The writing of fiction makes strange bedfellows.

On another gun oriented site I hang out at, there was a certain amount of discussion regarding the book Unintended Consequences.

Some people voiced the opinion that the author, John Ross, was gay, or had latent gay tendencies, because of his inclusion of a scene that depicted the gang rape of his male protagonist.

I don't know Cameron, but I know John, and he ain't gay.

In writing, shorthand descriptions (including the use of sterotypes) are used to allow the writer to easily make a connection with somebody reading the work - it doesn't mean the writer believes in or is a supporter of what the writer gets down on paper - it's just the painting of a scene.

There is some evidence that Cameron is a douche, so it could be that he holds that view, but you have to separate the writing of fiction from the idea that the author is a real life proponent of every plot twist and turn.

SJ78
01-19-2010, 9:22 PM
Cameron has little room to talk about guns . He sure made enough money from their use ! in his films . Same with Arnold

01-19-2010, 9:31 PM

Yeah, I got that...I assume if you would have lived in the 40's you would also have defended Leni Riefenstahl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_of_the_Will)'s Nazi propaganda movies. She was after all recognized as an innovative and very talented movie director.
What, aren't we supposed to separate art from politics?